What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
A big part of the problem is we can’t get a 70,000 seat venue at Moore park, the residents will go completely bat shit crazy. Biggest capacity might be 55k, but there’s even more problematic than 45k. It’ll still be too small to steal the biggest events.

Yeah the NIMBY's are pretty rough in Moore Park - I supposed I'd be pretty angry all the time if I was dumb enough to pay $900,000 for a studio apartment - but it really comes down to the power that the trust has, which is an awful bloody lot. If they can convince the NSW Government to legislate them out of trouble with special matchday laws then they're in business.

they put up with that now
a game at Allianz & the SCG at the same can generate up to 70K fans in the precinct
hell there were 80K there a few years ago when we had a cricket & soccer derby on at the same time

just build into the plan that at no time can 2 sporting events be held at the 2 venues on the same day & schedule accordingly

Logically, sure. But that’s a tough sell, and residents don’t think logically.

I’m not even sure a 70,000 seat venue could fit on that site, it’s pretty tight around there.

Lambretta

First Grade
the other 6 states & territories are laughing at NSW
a farce to begin with
& still a farce

theres tinpot Banana republics in Africa doing better then Sydney in this area
why can everyone else on the planet build stadiums without any fuss except Sydney ??

I suppose because they do so without spending a billion dollars on each one.

The stadium rebuilds are more about current politicians positioning for work after they leave politics than they are about building stadiums

Lambretta

First Grade
So we have two stadiums. One which is great to watch sport at and one which sucks dogs balls. So let's knock down the good one and remodel some of the shit one. That'll work.....

The main problem with Allianz is it is not close to where the majority of the population live. Therefore people dont want to bother going.

Rebuilding it won't change that.

The other problem is the time games are played. Keep playing games on Thursday night, Friday afternoons or Sunday nights and people will keep finding reasons why they cant get there.

Suck it up Rugby League and accept that not every game has to have its own tv time slot.

Friday night, Saturday afternoon, evening and night and Sunday afternoons. Thats it. Nothing else

thorson1987

Coach
My mother was going on about that, then I managed to break it down for her by illustrating sports spending as a percentage of health and education. Once she realised it was a tiny fraction, and a big one off commitment, she backed down.

I agree with HH1908 - I think the trust is going to win this, they just have to their tentacles too deep in the NSW Government - and they have a lot of fans in NSW Labor too. I doubt a change of government would really change things.

If it's going to be two compromised stadiums, or one decent large one at Moore Park, I'd take the the one decent one. If those are the only two options.

Also, one thing about Foley. The ONLY sport he ever really talks about with serious enthusiasm is cricket. I could easily see him slinging more money to the trust for the SCG to upgraded if he comes to power.

Isn't it something like the total cost of the stadiums equates to 1% of annual health spending?

Raiderdave

First Grade
Logically, sure. But that’s a tough sell, and residents don’t think logically.

I’m not even sure a 70,000 seat venue could fit on that site, it’s pretty tight around there.

you'd utilise the existing area with the car park next to it
Allianz is quite round , oval shaped , aka Suncorp , straighten the lines & rectangle the venue up
put a car park under ground , under the venue
it'd be tight
but should fit

So we have two stadiums. One which is great to watch sport at and one which sucks dogs balls. So let's knock down the good one and remodel some of the shit one. That'll work.....

The main problem with Allianz is it is not close to where the majority of the population live. Therefore people dont want to bother going.

Rebuilding it won't change that.

The other problem is the time games are played. Keep playing games on Thursday night, Friday afternoons or Sunday nights and people will keep finding reasons why they cant get there.

Suck it up Rugby League and accept that not every game has to have its own tv time slot.

Friday night, Saturday afternoon, evening and night and Sunday afternoons. Thats it. Nothing else

If it’s the main event stadium I don’t think it matters too much if it’s a little more difficult to get to. Most people would only be going to it a couple of times a year.

Re scheduling, we could go back to multiple games at the same time, but that’s going to mean a hit to the TV revenue. I’m not sure crowd revenue can make up the shortfall.

3910869709001_5760124774001_5760117791001-vs.jpg

https://www.smh.com.au/sport

TheRam

Coach
the other 6 states & territories are laughing at NSW
a farce to begin with
& still a farce

theres tinpot Banana republics in Africa doing better then Sydney in this area
why can everyone else on the planet build stadiums without any fuss except Sydney ??

Because unfortunately, league doesn't have millions of zelot fans as does AFL and Soccer does.

We in Sydney have a few hundred thousand odd hard followers and then it drops off to likes and the passive supporter that tunes into the game from time to time.

This of course is the NRL's inability to propagate the game correctly and is constantly losing ground to other sports in its own heartland.

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
I still can't get over decreasing a stadium capacity over time...110000 to 82500 now they are talking even lower 70000, only in Sydney this shit happens, Sydney doesn't deserve stadiums.

The 110,000 capacity for ANZ was only ever for the Olympics. The end standss were not designed to last, they had a 5-10 year life span. They were always supposed to come down, and then the ground would be fully enclosed. It was also supp[osed to become a permanent rectangular field - until the AFL got involved. However, that is another story (and old news too).