What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

NrlCoach

Juniors
I have no faith in the nrl administration.. I am telling you the only seats that will be moving in close will be both the behind the goals... We already got screwed by not getting anz knocked down and rebuild. Nrl fans don't get your hopes up. Srs the 500m saved from ANZ will be going to afl/cricket grounds in Sydney because you know they will be saying what about us. the the afl guy from the scg trust wins. I just hope that this backflip by the government is plan by the nrl to take the pressure of them and get them reelected. the government can then say that they have to knock down ANZ because the structure of the stadium can't support the refurbishment plans or the cost refurbishment plan has blown up etc and its cheaper to knocked it down... But unfortunately I don't think that the people running the game are that smart

JonnoM

Juniors
Agreed. There’s a few extra thousand seats bought closer to the field but the rest are as is. Might as well be sitting in Timbuktu
The reports this week is that 45,000 seats will be moved into rectangular position and the remaining 25,000 top tier level 6 seats will remain.
Where did you get “ a few extra thousand seats”?

siv

First Grade
Ok so basically L4 and L6 will so no change at ANZ

The photos also highlight no change to the roof

Playing surface is lowered which is good

North and South ends brought in which is good with a North South end upper deck

Position of the TV screen is a issue as it takes wway seats. Should have been attached to roof supports

Easts and West L1 L2 L3 remodelled looks ok and brought right up to action edge with extra seating

Today you have to back to row 20 before you were under the roof line. There is only about 5-10 rows before corporate or ANZ member seating under cover on the East-West setup today.

So if we add extra seating does this mean extra corporate boxes or extra real public seats down near the sideline. Extra elevation is a plus for E-W seating but if ticketed member seating is moved forward then we are back to our SFS weather issues

So no retractable roof which has been part of the reason in knocking down the temp stands is disappointing

Diesel

Referee
The reports this week is that 45,000 seats will be moved into rectangular position and the remaining 25,000 top tier level 6 seats will remain.
Where did you get “ a few extra thousand seats”?
You said it yourself, 45,000 closer and 25,000 remain as is

Agreed. There’s a few extra thousand seats bought closer to the field but the rest are as is. Might as well be sitting in Timbuktu

Yeah let’s not get overly dramatic.

I’m disappointed with it too, but 44,000 seats will be closer to the action. The lower bowl will be very good for club footy.

Ok so basically L4 and L6 will so no change at ANZ

The photos also highlight no change to the roof

Playing surface is lowered which is good

North and South ends brought in which is good with a North South end upper deck

Position of the TV screen is a issue as it takes wway seats. Should have been attached to roof supports

Easts and West L1 L2 L3 remodelled looks ok and brought right up to action edge with extra seating

Today you have to back to row 20 before you were under the roof line. There is only about 5-10 rows before corporate or ANZ member seating under cover on the East-West setup today.

So if we add extra seating does this mean extra corporate boxes or extra real public seats down near the sideline. Extra elevation is a plus for E-W seating but if ticketed member seating is moved forward then we are back to our SFS weather issues

So no retractable roof which has been part of the reason in knocking down the temp stands is disappointing

Be careful about going too much off the artists impressions, they haven’t done any official plans yet.

Even Allianz pictures are subject to change.

Brutus

Referee
A 75,000 knock down and rebuild would have been a great thing for RL and all rectangular sports.

Now we lose 5k capacity and there will be a heap of seats that simply will not change. Those side on nosebleed seats are woeful.

A 75,000 knock down and rebuild would have been a great thing for RL and all rectangular sports.

Now we lose 5k capacity and there will be a heap of seats that simply will not change. Those side on nosebleed seats are woeful.

Of course, but in terms of club footy the main interest was always the lower bowl. These improvements should help increase NRL crowds.

Timbo

Staff member

Those nosebleed seats are only for big matches and they'll sell regardless because of the event.

45,000 closer to the pitch is a good result.

Those nosebleed seats are only for big matches and they'll sell regardless because of the event.

I prefer the flat pack if it means we get more of them, particularly club grounds.

To me the only ground that needs all the bells & whistles in the main one. Looks like we’re getting the opposite to that.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s improvements here, but the overall strategy is still heavily flawed.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i have nfi why Turrdles has given it the green light and said Sydney will get their 25 GF's when he hasn't even seen the design

Soccer hasn't

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...m-policy-berejiklian-nsw-20180329-p4z6xv.html

Sporting codes deliver verdict as stadium policy overhauled again

Sporting codes have delivered their verdict on the state government's latest backflip to its stadium policy.

Unveiling yet another iteration of its controversial policy, Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced on Thursday the government had ditched plans for a $1.3 billion rebuild of ANZ Stadium in Olympic Park, and would instead undertake $800 million of renovations to convert it to a rectangular facility.

Ms Berejiklian confirmed the plan to knock down and rebuild Allianz Stadium, in Moore Park, would proceed unchanged, at a cost of $730 million.

The NRL has declared its support for the change; other organisations including Football Federation Australia and Cricket NSW were far less enthused.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said he would have preferred it if the government had honoured its earlier commitment.

“Naturally I would have preferred to see a new stadium built at Sydney Olympic Park in line with our memorandum of understanding,” he said.

However, he said the revised strategy was still a "great outcome" for rugby league fans, and reaffirmed the NRL's commitment to playing the grand final in Sydney for the next 25 years.

Football Federation Australia, however, held back from expressing even qualified support, instead registering its dismay and a desire to see "more detail on the proposed refurbishment".

"We are disappointed that it will not be rebuilt because we believe NSW needs a large capacity, state-of-the-art rectangular venue to remain competitive with the other states," a spokesman said.

"Last year there were six football events at ANZ that attracted more than 50,000 people and football will need venues for similar large events in the future."

Less impressed still is Cricket NSW, which will lose its headquarters when Allianz is demolished. Its indoor centre will remain standing until the conclusion of the World T20 in November 2020, before it too is demolished.

"We'll effectively be homeless in the new year, and our players and community won't have an indoor centre to train in from some time in the next 2½ years," Cricket NSW chief executive Andrew Jones said.

The outcome is a victory for the powerful SCG Trust, which manages Allianz Stadium. The trust, whose board members include influential broadcaster Alan Jones and businessmen Tony Shepherd, lobbied extensively for the Allianz rebuild.

"It is very clear that a redevelopment of Allianz Stadium is the most sensible use of public money," Mr Shepherd said.

Mr Jones, however, was scathing in his assessment of the trust, which he said had failed in its responsibility to find a "satisfactory interim solution or long-term solution" for Cricket NSW.

"We continue to work with them to try and achieve that but it's fair to say they've created a problem without yet having a solution," he said.

Ms Berejiklian was pushed into Thursday’s backflip after the government struggled to defend the dual-stadium rebuild policy, which was expected to cost $2.5 billion. Recent polling revealed almost 60 per cent of voters opposed the plan.

Faced with the challenge of explaining yet another revision of the policy, Ms Berejiklian relied heavily on the government’s receipt of business cases from Infrastructure NSW, which showed the renovation of ANZ stadium would save taxpayers $500 million.

Cricket NSW staked an early bid for a slice of the savings pool, calling for it to be used to fund a new home for cricket at the SCG.

Sports NSW, the peak body for sport across the state, called for the savings to be invested in "desperately needed community sporting infrastructure".

“The opportunity has been created today to ensure that the government invests $500 million now
into the community facility needs of both male and female participants, at all levels, and across all codes of sport,” Sport NSW chairman Joseph La Posta said.

Correction: This story has been updated to reflect the fact that the NSW government's business cases were prepared by Infrastructure NSW, not Infrastructure Australia, as stated in an earlier version of the story.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course, but in terms of club footy the main interest was always the lower bowl. These improvements should help increase NRL crowds.

unless it rains, most of the closest seats will be beyond the drip line. For me the full roof was the critical thing to boosting club game crowds, not the seat elevation.

Reactions: siv
unless it rains, most of the closest seats will be beyond the drip line. For me the full roof was the critical thing to boosting club game crowds, not the seat elevation.

The roof situation is a serious concern, but I’m holding fire on that hoping it’s just a bad artists rendering.

It’s not just seat elevation though, the bottom bowl is closer on all sides, which will improve game atmosphere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The roof situation is a serious concern, but I’m holding fire on that hoping it’s just a bad artists rendering.

It’s not just seat elevation though, the bottom bowl is closer on all sides, which will improve game atmosphere.

20k in a 75k is always going to be a struggle for atmosphere. As the main rugby league stadium in sydney this was the one we needed, not Moore park which provides little benefit unless Souths and St’s move there

20k in a 75k is always going to be a struggle for atmosphere. As the main rugby league stadium in sydney this was the one we needed, not Moore park which provides little benefit unless Souths and St’s move there

Well the same would’ve held true for a rebuild, upper decks won’t be used for any club match. Fact remains it will be an improved atmosphere.

I’m disappointed the upper decks aren’t being done, but then we’re never going to help NRL games.

From the video, hopefully it ends up more impressive than this shows.

View attachment 18749 View attachment 18750

That lower bowl looks significantly improved to me.

Having people closer & steeper improves the atmosphere, particularly as crowd noise can now be generated on all four sides.

With all that said, I’d still prefer to see more matches played at parramatta and leave the bigger matches for ANZ.