What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Jamberoo

Juniors
What I don’t get based on the render is how the stadium is losing 12,500 seats. The deep second tier at both ends would seem to make up a fair bit of what’s lost from the old bowl.

Leigh.
Yep. They lose a few where the two massive scoreboards are going at the ends, but gain extra seats where the stands are being brought in. So I assume it the the rear section of each of the upper levels, where fans would not be able to see the near sidelines. Weird.

7936779857e8078b06ed49379fcdd2dade69f36c

macavity

Referee
All the money going into one stadium would be the better outcome for Sydney, if the dogs & tigers agreed to move to parramatta and Souths to Allianz it could be the best for rugby league too.

The money should go in to one stadium - ANZ.

Knock down Allianz and build a 100-150mil basic 30-35k stadium. It is a club ground.

Take it from trust control and you don’t need to worry about their member seats.

This is all a pork barrelling joke and the NRL has let us down massively.

The money should go in to one stadium - ANZ.

Knock down Allianz and build a 100-150mil basic 30-35k stadium. It is a club ground.

Take it from trust control and you don’t need to worry about their member seats.

This is all a pork barrelling joke and the NRL has let us down massively.

My statement was more of where the winds are heading, not necessarily my preferred option.

Whatever the case a single 70k, world class stadium, wherever it be in Sydney would be a better option than what we’ve got.

OldPanther

Coach
Talking to the father in law he was parroting the "schools and hospitals" line. Is this standard around the state from average non league fan residents?

Crippler

Juniors
So the 70000 knock down rebuild has a better CBR and a 10 year longer lifespan but they go for cheaper crappier refurb job with only decent seats having no roof.

Utter crap. I want original Mike Baird refurb with roof and every seat closer to action

Timbo

Staff member
Talking to the father in law he was parroting the "schools and hospitals" line. Is this standard around the state from average non league fan residents?

My mother was going on about that, then I managed to break it down for her by illustrating sports spending as a percentage of health and education. Once she realised it was a tiny fraction, and a big one off commitment, she backed down.

I agree with HH1908 - I think the trust is going to win this, they just have to their tentacles too deep in the NSW Government - and they have a lot of fans in NSW Labor too. I doubt a change of government would really change things.

If it's going to be two compromised stadiums, or one decent large one at Moore Park, I'd take the the one decent one. If those are the only two options.

Also, one thing about Foley. The ONLY sport he ever really talks about with serious enthusiasm is cricket. I could easily see him slinging more money to the trust for the SCG to upgraded if he comes to power.

LineBall

Juniors

A lot of people are misinformed, and just only hear those who bleat the loudest. The NSW government is spending $72.7B over the next four years on various infrastructure projects. The $2B for a complete rebuild of the stadiums is hardly the lion's share. Now they are not even going to spend that much. I can guarantee that if they didn't spend a cent on any stadium, people would still whinge about hospitals, schools, transport etc.

It's scary how little people understand, and how easily they are led by the media in this country.

Saintsified

Bench
yep
so leave it , why spend 800 Million on it when it won't be improved all that much
If the all powerful SCG Trust are the actual Govt & run the state & there is no way the plan for Allianz will change

then leave ANZ as is
don't touch it
& the 800 Million that was going to be the lipstick on that pig
put into Allianz & do it properly
a 70K seat super stadium with a roof that will be the envy of the world

its a better outcome then the dross being proposed atm
But i just saw, i think it will have a rectractable roof

Jamberoo

Juniors
If it is a 70k seater , and 27k upper seats stay where they are, then 43k seats will be closer to the action. This should be a massive boost for NRL clubs. Crowds should be up. The other 27k seats become budget seats only used half a dozen times per year.
I reckon this is a win for RL, but a loss for the majority of Sydneysiders. At best ANZ will be the fifth ranked stadium in the land behind Perth, Adelaide, MCG and Alliance. On the next level with Suncorp, Etihad, AAMI, etc.

JonnoM

Juniors
If it is a 70k seater , and 27k upper seats stay where they are, then 43k seats will be closer to the action. This should be a massive boost for NRL clubs. Crowds should be up. The other 27k seats become budget seats only used half a dozen times per year.
I reckon this is a win for RL, but a loss for the majority of Sydneysiders. At best ANZ will be the fifth ranked stadium in the land behind Perth, Adelaide, MCG and Alliance. On the next level with Suncorp, Etihad, AAMI, etc.
Now this is getting ridiculous
The MCG,Adelaide and Perth are all massive ovals.Not even a pair of binoculars will improve viewing at a game of Rugby League.
They are the worst venues for the game

I agree with HH1908 - I think the trust is going to win this, they just have to their tentacles too deep in the NSW Government - and they have a lot of fans in NSW Labor too. I doubt a change of government would really change things.

If it's going to be two compromised stadiums, or one decent large one at Moore Park, I'd take the the one decent one. If those are the only two options.

A big part of the problem is we can’t get a 70,000 seat venue at Moore park, the residents will go completely bat shit crazy. Biggest capacity might be 55k, but there’s even more problematic than 45k. It’ll still be too small to steal the biggest events.

The big issues are twofold though.

1. The roof line may render the lower bowl useless when it rains, something that happens a lot in footy season.

2. I seriously doubt we’ll see the club mode option retrofitted to ANZ. So the atmosphere for club footy will still be lacking.

T-Boon

Coach

The MCG is just a big ole dead cement piece of whore bitch. It is perfect for cricket practice like AFL but it is otherwise garbage for sport. Perth and Adelaide aren't even really part of Australia. So who cares. The best arenas for world sports will be Suncorp, Alliance, ANZ.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Now this is getting ridiculous
The MCG,Adelaide and Perth are all massive ovals.Not even a pair of binoculars will improve viewing at a game of Rugby League.
They are the worst venues for the game
That is my point. ANZ will be much improveed for RL but it won’t help Sydney will other big events such as the USA v Boomers basketball.

Jamberoo

Juniors
The big issues are twofold though.

1. The roof line may render the lower bowl useless when it rains, something that happens a lot in footy season.

2. I seriously doubt we’ll see the club mode option retrofitted to ANZ. So the atmosphere for club footy will still be lacking.
Given the 27k seats will be so far back, should be easy to section that off.

Timbo

Staff member
That is my point. ANZ will be much improveed for RL but it won’t help Sydney will other big events such as the USA v Boomers basketball.

Well there's 4,000 missed tickets there.

Am I missing something? There's already a 15,000 seat indoor arena at Homebush for basketball?

We also attract events like English Premier League sides, college football games, the baseball a few years ago... That's what these new stadiums are about surely?

Raiderdave

First Grade
A big part of the problem is we can’t get a 70,000 seat venue at Moore park, the residents will go completely bat shit crazy. Biggest capacity might be 55k, but there’s even more problematic than 45k. It’ll still be too small to steal the biggest events.

they put up with that now
a game at Allianz & the SCG at the same can generate up to 70K fans in the precinct
hell there were 80K there a few years ago when we had a cricket & soccer derby on at the same time

just build into the plan that at no time can 2 sporting events be held at the 2 venues on the same day & schedule accordingly

Well there's 4,000 missed tickets there.

Am I missing something? There's already a 15,000 seat indoor arena at Homebush for basketball?

We also attract events like English Premier League sides, college football games, the baseball a few years ago... That's what these new stadiums are about surely?

USA basketball are playing at Etihad