What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach
This stadium farce is NBN mk2, spend a f**k load of money on something years behind other nations and cities.
The worst of it is in both cases it is totally needless and caused by political incompetence.

Bullshit.

Both those stadiums need to be re-done.

siv

First Grade
OH here we go again.
f172ff99008294d145a334291f427cf73c944266

Are we getting a SFS velodrome ?

Billythekid

First Grade
The whole thing is a disgrace and shows just how incompetent and corrupt the NSW government is. It also shows how stupid and gullible the average voter is.

Spending lots of money doesn't mean wasting money. We spend 10s of millions on health but does anyone consider that wasted money?

We're going to spend 1.5 billion dollars on stadiums and its debate that the stadium situation in Sydney will even be better as a result. We'll get a new Allianz with modern amenities but the viewing experience won't be dramatically changed. ANZ will still have half of its seats left with shitty views and the good ones still won't be covered from the rain. It'll be a Frankenstein of a stadium which is modern in parts and needing a revamp in others. It'll also almost certainly
Blowout in costs because upgrading it is going to be a night mare. Plus the capacity will go down!

Sydney still won't have a large world class stadium. We still won't have a large stadium with a roof.

Allianz should have been redeveloped into a stadium like Parramattas boutique stadium. It's a club stadium and the clubs who play there rarely crack 20K. 30-35K would have provided a fantastic atmosphere for club matches whilst still allowing a decent size for bigger games.

The rest of the money should have been spent redeveloping ANZ into a world class rectangular stadium with a roof.

This would have future proofed Sydneys stadium for the next 30 years and would have DRAMATICALLY improved the stadium landscape for the city. It also wouldn't have cost much if anymore than the current plan.

f**k me im sick of seeing league get screwed. Much like super league we'll be feeling the repercussions of this for decades.

I get the anger, but I don’t see how this is “league getting screwed”

We only have two matches a year that are guaranteed sell outs at ANZ.

For 95% of games at ANZ it’s going to be an improved venue.

To me this is much more Sydney getting screwed than rugby league.

SCG trust needs dismantling

taipan

Referee
I look on the brighter side.

Even though ANZ won't be a you beaut newie,it will at least be rectangular ,closer to the action.
Most importantly the fumblers won;' be able to get their stinky fingers on it, like they did in the past.
This in turn stuffs Shepherd on the SCG Trust and GWS chairman.

His thinking a new SFS ,and no chance of spending more money on ANZ,retaining its oval shape.That won;t happen.

The SCG Trust are the flies in the stadium ointment.,and that include Parrot Jones.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I get the anger, but I don’t see how this is “league getting screwed”

We only have two matches a year that are guaranteed sell outs at ANZ.

For 95% of games at ANZ it’s going to be an improved venue.

To me this is much more Sydney getting screwed than rugby league.

SCG trust needs dismantling

Well - this probably won't happen but the fact it being spoken about is good
If the SCG trust want $700M government money then handing over the management of it to Venues NSW should be debated

I'm more than happy to leave Allianz alone and spend all the money on ANZ for a demo and re-build

Labor to overhaul SCG Trust after Berejiklian commits to new stadium
By Jacob Saulwick
30 March 2018 — 6:29pm

The state opposition would end the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust’s 142-year dominion over sporting facilities in Moore Park, according to Labor’s sports spokeswoman.

The Berejiklian Government’s decision this week to commit to a $730 million new stadium at Moore Park, and renovate ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park at a cost of $810 million has led to a focus on the role of the SCG Trust, which a year ago looked likely to be left with little from a potential stadium bonanza.

But in the 11 months since former premier Mike Baird said he would prioritise Olympic Park over a new stadium at Moore Park, the SCG Trust has managed to successfully argue that the 30-year-old Allianz Stadium presents a safety and security case to be replaced.

This analysis was agreed to by the advisory agency Infrastructure NSW. Summaries for a business case of a new stadium released on Thursday agreed that a new 40,000-45,000 seat facility at Moore Park represented better value than refurbishing the existing stadium.

According to Labor’s Lynda Voltz, however, other sporting facilities in Sydney have been disadvantaged by not having independent boards argue their case.

“It creates a completely unequal playing field in the events market to have the SCG Trust sitting outside a single venues board operating every other state venue,” said Ms Vltz.

Ms Voltz said it did not make sense to give other state-owned venues managed by the government entity Venues NSW - ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park, the new Parramatta Stadium, WIN Stadium in the Illawarra, and the McDonald Jones Stadium, and the Newcastle Entertainment Centre in the Hunter – their own trusts as well.

The SCG Trust should therefore be folded into Venues NSW, she said.

“The SCG Trust should be incorporated into that single venue strategy,” she said.

“It wouldn’t exist.”

Merging the SCG Trust with other entities managing elite sporting venues in NSW was proposed by former premier Mike Baird in late 2015. But the policy has since been dropped, with Ms Berejiklian confirming on Thursday it was not her plan.

The Labor Party opposes the proposal to build a new stadium at Moore Park.

The chairman of the SCG Trust, Tony Shepherd, said it was not his role to comment on governance issue. “That is the decision of the government of the day, that is their right,” Mr Shepherd said.

“The only thing I would say that in any arrangement a government makes we need to ensure that the rights of our members who have supported the trust for many years and are principal source of revenue,” he said.

Mr Shepherd welcomed the involvement of Infrastructure NSW in providing the case for upgraded stadium infrastructure.

“The government has commissioned an independent expert assessment and arrived at its decision having taken the best advice and we support them,” he said.

Under Ms Berejiklian’s policy announced on Thursday, Allianz Stadium will be knocked down toward the end of the year and replaced by a new stadium by March 2022. ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park, which was to be also replaced by an entirely new stadium under her previous policy, will be refurbished between 2019 and 2022.

A position on the SCG Trust has long been coveted by the state’s sporting, business and political elite. Radio 2GB’s Alan Jones, who has been credited by Labor leader Luke Foley and former premier Mike Baird’s staff as having changed the government’s position on stadium funding, has been a trustee for 30 years.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...n-commits-to-new-stadium-20180330-p4z75q.html