What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
At an individual NRL game, big fail mate.

Must stick in the throat that NRL can draw more than 3 times the Sharks avg crowd in an AFL city? Especially in a "good" year for the Sharks lol. As the English would sing "sht ground no fans, sht ground no fans"

taipan

Referee
Must stick in the throat that NRL can draw more than 3 times the Sharks avg crowd in an AFL city? Especially in a "good" year for the Sharks lol. As the English would sing "sht ground no fans, sht ground no fans"

4 NRL teams one Sth Sydney,one NZ Warriors a double header,first time usage of the new stadium.Yeah right .And you're wetting your strides.Do it fortnightly ,then you can brag.

On the contrary I'm more than chuffed with the latest new re the Sharks.Under the heading Cronulla on top as league numbers grow.The Cronulla area is the 2nd biggest growth area for the NSWRL 12.75% just behind Western Suburbs (13%) and has played a big part in the organisation having its first increase in participation in 5 years.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cronu...story/a517c3d32188abe7e822ee7308634704#.gt4a6

Plus teams playing in the U20/lower division and the NRL to get into a G/F.it's called depth.
I understand the fact the Sharks does this sticks in your craw.

When your main home game derby against the Dragons given a Thursday night shift, anyones average crowd is going to take a hit,as well as no Rabbits game at home.

Under the circumstances whilst the Shark's crowds should be better, there are a few reasons alluded to which didn't help.

You will be wishing no doubt for the Sharks to be knocked out tomorrow night, cause the thought of thousands of Shark's fans at ANZ on G/F day ,is hard for you to digest.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
So much misinformation in the below posts.

Haven’t taken an Aleague game there since 2013 I think.

Last WSW's A-League game there was in 2016/2017 season.

There’s been an FFA Cup & an AFC champions league game there since then.

They missed a huge opportunity to grow their base with parramatta out of action, instead they moved their games further away from most of the West.

They did this because the corporate facilities and seating requirements for members and sponsors at Spotless/ANZ were far superior than Penrith or Campbelltown. At the time the decision had to be made, the amount of season ticket holders almost forced the Wanderers into choosing a stadium with enough seats. They sent the fans out a poll, about where fans would prefer to attend when Parra was being re-built, and Spotless won, although it was a close call between it and Penrith. The club chose the more financially responsible venue. It was a logistical nightmare trying to keep everyone happy. There has been a huge backlash and a lot of dissatisfaction with being at Homebush. Same opinions as league fans with Homebush. Wanderers fans are as keen as Eels fans to get back to Parra, but alas, have to wait another season.

Can’t imagine a lot of WSW fans traveling out to Penrith.

The few games that have been played at Penrith have had equally good crowds to their general crowd average...….maybe just a bit less. There's a shit load of Wanderers fans west of Parramatta.

Maybe not, but I suspect that’s why Penrith tried to buy the club. Stadium upgrade & game day club revenue.

The wanderers should really rename themselves parramatta though, they seem unwilling to represent the wider west.

You couldn't be more wrong.
The Wanderers rejected the Panthers bid after certain comments from the then Panthers CEO. I'm sure there were other reasons though.

And no, the Wanderers shouldn't rename themselves Parramatta. They seriously have a following throughout all of western Sydney and even Inner west. When the Wanderers were being set up, fan forums that were held throughout the west (Castle Hill RSL, Marconi, Penrith, Campbelltown etc....)overwhelmingly chose Parra Stadium as their home ground. Fans felt it was the best stadium to represent the west.
As were the colours of the team, and the name (Wanderers), and even the first coach (Popovic).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Under the circumstances whilst the Shark's crowds should be better, there are a few reasons alluded to which didn't help.

Joint top, 12,700 crowd avg. Deary me. Needs a merger with a big club like Dragons and move to a new purpose built stadium for the South Coast Dragons. Only way we ever see a 20,000 crowd avg in that part of Sydney

Pommy

Coach
So much misinformation in the below posts.

They did this because the corporate facilities and seating requirements for members and sponsors at Spotless/ANZ were far superior than Penrith or Campbelltown. At the time the decision had to be made, the amount of season ticket holders almost forced the Wanderers into choosing a stadium with enough seats. They sent the fans out a poll, about where fans would prefer to attend when Parra was being re-built, and Spotless won, although it was a close call between it and Penrith. The club chose the more financially responsible venue. It was a logistical nightmare trying to keep everyone happy. There has been a huge backlash and a lot of dissatisfaction with being at Homebush. Same opinions as league fans with Homebush. Wanderers fans are as keen as Eels fans to get back to Parra, but alas, have to wait another season.

The few games that have been played at Penrith have had equally good crowds to their general crowd average...….maybe just a bit less. There's a shit load of Wanderers fans west of Parramatta.

The Wanderers rejected the Panthers bid after certain comments from the then Panthers CEO. I'm sure there were other reasons though.

And no, the Wanderers shouldn't rename themselves Parramatta. They seriously have a following throughout all of western Sydney and even Inner west. When the Wanderers were being set up, fan forums that were held throughout the west (Castle Hill RSL, Marconi, Penrith, Campbelltown etc....)overwhelmingly chose Parra Stadium as their home ground. Fans felt it was the best stadium to represent the west.
As were the colours of the team, and the name (Wanderers), and even the first coach (Popovic).

I wonder why they didn’t move there whilst WSS was being done. The show ground must be awful for football, ANZ is bad enough.

GongPanther

Referee
The Campbelltown-Camden area is one of the fastest growing areas in Australia. It is also Rugby League heartland. It deserves a lot of funding and support from an NRL club.
If the NRL can help out the WT in permanently moving to Campbelltown,then they will overall thrive. I think the Panthers have enough on their plate without running another nursery.

GongPanther

Referee
Not sure about that. Campbelltown to St Marys and then change to Penrith before a 10-15 min walk to the current site of Penrith Stadium will be too inconvenient for most.
Read during the week that the Penrith Paceway is under consideration for a residential sell-off.

Could Panthers obtain that land and apply for a development change so to build a huge stadium?

Hardly a strong commitment, point remains the same.

I’m not talking about taking the entire season to Penrith, just 3-4 games, try and broaden the fan base.

My understanding was the poll was of members specifically, not all fans.

Then why not reward them with a few games? There’s a complete lack of commitment to fans in the outer west.

I was talking about the reason Penrith wanted to buy the Wanderers, not the reason the Wanderers/FFA didn’t want to sell to Penrith.

The early commitment to areas other than Parramatta may have been strong but the recent commitment hasn’t.

I remember the bitching and moaning when they did take a game to Penrith, I doubt that was coming from the supposed masses of fans in Penrith.

taipan

Referee
Joint top, 12,700 crowd avg. Deary me. Needs a merger with a big club like Dragons and move to a new purpose built stadium for the South Coast Dragons. Only way we ever see a 20,000 crowd avg in that part of Sydney

That's 12,000 more than your mob gets.Plus 15,000 plus members,PLus a strong and the 2nd fastest growing junior league in the NSWRL as advised in another post,plus their own ground, plus a development for 800 plus units, plus one of the strongest full club rosters from Mathews Cup to teh NRL..This without an all seater stadium ,which will happen.
We're are going to be around ,whilst we tick the boxes.

You couldn't sell out the new stadium with 4 high profile Nrl clubs and your dictating who should merge LOL.You've used excuses when its rained there.and your moralising ,sheesh.

You(as a relative newcomer to this country) have little idea of the historical rivalry built up between the Dragons and and the Sharks since 1967,and the crowds they get when they play at decent schedules.Merging would further kill off crowds and averages here.Showing once again your ignorance of the scene in Sydney.
There is not going to be a purpose built stadium there for a start.

Your club needs to be a feeder 2nd division club ,to the likes of Melbourne.We won't see 20,000 average in Perth.

We need a 2nd Brisbane side (heartland) and a 2nd NZ side.That way a game per week in each centre.

Your continual negativity and distaste for Sydney teams, just turns people off wanting expansion to Perth.

Suitman

Post Whore
I wonder why they didn’t move there whilst WSS was being done. The show ground must be awful for football, ANZ is bad enough.

Absolutely it is. Fans have been ropable. A lot of it has had to do with seriously over enthusiastic security which has been obscenely unwarranted.

Latest posts