What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Its the same as the conversation about AAMI Park...

Why have 40k when it will only fill up twice a year and will struggle to even half fill up for 90% of the games? We need a small stadium, focused on atmosphere. And if games DO start to pack out, we either expand it or just let the scarcity of tickets drive earlier commitments.

And if ANZ is redeveloped to a rectangle, any game that substantially exceeeds the capacity of the new Moore Park stadium can be moved there anyway. Would help cement it as the “big game venue” and make it less reliant on hosting club games to run a profit (which are always going to be terrible there unless they’re massive blockbusters).

unforgiven

Bench
And if ANZ is redeveloped to a rectangle, any game that substantially exceeeds the capacity of the new Moore Park stadium can be moved there anyway. Would help cement it as the “big game venue” and make it less reliant on hosting club games to run a profit (which are always going to be terrible there unless they’re massive blockbusters).
Even if ANZ is not redeveloped it is actually ok with a crowd above 30k and should only be used for the big events.

azza29

Juniors
Is ANZ still paying to have its name on Stadium Australia? I can find a few references to the deal being extended in 2014 through the end of 2017 but nothing else. Vaguely recall that they weren’t planning to extend further, perhaps nobody else wants it and we have another Hisense to Melbourne Arena situation?

because that idiot Daley has nfi who actually owns the stadium

The other thing, how would the Trust repay the loan? Last financial year it made a profit of $1.5 million. As such how would you repay a $500-$750 million dollar loan for a rebuild, even if it is for a 30,000 seat stadium, on that revenue base when they had both the SCG and SFS in operation?

On a side note, the SFS is used by more than just the NRL, A-League and Waratahs. Limiting it to 30,000 would be stupid when you already have Parramatta Stadium at that size.

Is ANZ still paying to have its name on Stadium Australia? I can find a few references to the deal being extended in 2014 through the end of 2017 but nothing else. Vaguely recall that they weren’t planning to extend further, perhaps nobody else wants it and we have another Hisense to Melbourne Arena situation?

Well I doubt it would still be called ANZ Stradium if they aren't paying for it. It may be continuing on a year by year basis as neither side has formally terminated the agreement (similar to an expired lease basis).

El Diablo

Post Whore
The other thing, how would the Trust repay the loan? Last financial year it made a profit of $1.5 million. As such how would you repay a $500-$750 million dollar loan for a rebuild, even if it is for a 30,000 seat stadium, on that revenue base when they had both the SCG and SFS in operation?

On a side note, the SFS is used by more than just the NRL, A-League and Waratahs. Limiting it to 30,000 would be stupid when you already have Parramatta Stadium at that size.
it just makes no sense that this idiot Daley thinks the trust will borrow money to pay for something the NSW Government own

he is f**ked in the head

maybe his plan to win the election is for Labore to make billions of $$$$$$$$$$$$ worth of promises and then if they win he'l go around with a tin asking for donations to raise the money

unforgiven

Bench
it just makes no sense that this idiot Daley thinks the trust will borrow money to pay for something the NSW Government own

he is f**ked in the head

maybe his plan to win the election is for Labore to make billions of $$$$$$$$$$$$ worth of promises and then if they win he'l go around with a tin asking for donations to raise the money
It really is a bizarre argument he is making, maybe the hospitals that labor wants extra money spent on should go get loans too. Oh and the schools, maybe the schools can get loans to fund all the repairs that need completing. That should save the government heaps of money.

Are the Trust even allowed to get a loan?

It really is a bizarre argument he is making, maybe the hospitals that labor wants extra money spent on should go get loans too. Oh and the schools, maybe the schools can get loans to fund all the repairs that need completing. That should save the government heaps of money.

Thing is, what would they use as collateral? The land is owned by the crown, the land is vested in the SCG and Sports Ground Trust to manage the land. Certain things are prohibited from being on the land (e.g. housing). So if they did, it would not be a secured loan one would think, which in this day and age, what bank would give an unsecured loan totally hundreds of millions of dollars? :confused:

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Trust should turn around and say him ‘righto f**kwit, if you want to go down this path, the SFS was built from $60m of donated money from the public and members to the Trust. This facility the state gov has used for 30 years. Consider now for this entire period we ‘loaned’ this facility to the state gov so at a conservative interest rate of 10% per year. we’re now billing you $180mil for the use of our stadium over this 30 year period.’

Except the trust earnt the revenue from the stadium use and the Govt has paid for all the maintainence and upgrades since then!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thing is, what would they use as collateral? The land is owned by the crown, the land is vested in the SCG and Sports ground trust to manage the land. Certain things are prohibit from being on the land (e.g. housing). So if they did, it would not be a secured loan one would think, which in this day and age, what bank would give an unsecured loan totally hundreds of millions of dollars? :confused:

Sounds like the loan would come from the Govt. It is a weird situation you have there. Everywhere else the Govt pays for infrastructure, appoints a stadium management company and gets a healthy return on the profits from the infrastructure use. My understanding is the trust passes nothing back to the Govt, where does the profit go?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Of course the government can call it a loan, its a basic accounting trick. Each department have their own budget to make sure you know which department is efficient and with is being run badly.

This is just an accounting trick. NSW Gov still fund the stadium, but the get to say that they are being very strict with the cash.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Sounds like the loan would come from the Govt. It is a weird situation you have there. Everywhere else the Govt pays for infrastructure, appoints a stadium management company and gets a healthy return on the profits from the infrastructure use. My understanding is the trust passes nothing back to the Govt, where does the profit go?

I think the Trust is allowed to keep the money and put it back into their own assets.

Compare that to Venues NSW who need to give ALL of their revenue back to the government and ask for annual grants. You can tell which one the NSW Gov prefers.

I really cannot understand why the Gov continues with the Trust. I get the Libs need to keep them happy, but Labor could end them with a single piece of legislation.

I think the Trust is allowed to keep the money and put it back into their own assets.

Compare that to Venues NSW who need to give ALL of their revenue back to the government and ask for annual grants. You can tell which one the NSW Gov prefers.

I really cannot understand why the Gov continues with the Trust. I get the Libs need to keep them happy, but Labor could end them with a single piece of legislation.

Whilst two of the trustees are elected from amongst the members, the remaining 13 of them are appointed by the Governor for a maximum term of 4 years. All 15 of them can have their term ended at any time by the Governor. As such various Governments look on it as a "perk of power". You get remunerated for being a trustee, you get good seats at all the sporting events, and rub elbows with the sporting and cultural elite.

Unless I'm mistaken, if Labor wins office, they'll just get rid of quite a few of the trustees and appoint their own "mates" to the vacancies.

That said, I agree, they should be abolished and its functions merged with those of Venues NSW.

Latest posts