What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

siv

First Grade
Yes but then you don't schedule those games at ANZ. ANZ should be a big game stadium only.

But Dogs, Souths and Wests-Tigers already use it as a home base

So they would need an alternative arrangement for their games against out of town teams

unforgiven

Bench

So they would need an alternative arrangement for their games against out of town teams
Tigers do not use it anymore and exactly, it should only really be used for special event regular club games.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

WT abandoned it during this off-season and have moved those four games to Bankwest.

Canterbury and Souths now only play 9 games each at the venue, while Parramatta have two - possibly the last two they'll host as a home team there.

The Bulldogs are likely to be moving more games to Bankwest in future years, plus they have Belmore.

South Sydney would probably use Bankwest too.

South Sydney would probably use Bankwest too.

How long is Souths deal with Homebush?

Once Allianz is rebuilt - is there any deal on the horizon for them to move back there?

They’ve done really well financially by playing at Homebush in recent years, but with the biggest membership base of the Sydney clubs (I think?) and a new home closer to their heartland - even as an opposition supporter I’d love to see them fill up the new Allianz regularly - which I think they would be a good chance of doing

Timmah

Staff member
Souths' deal is long term as far as I know, but they'd need to find somewhere alternative during any ANZ upgrades - Bankwest would probably make more sense as SFS is unlikely to be ready.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
How long is Souths deal with Homebush?

Once Allianz is rebuilt - is there any deal on the horizon for them to move back there?

They’ve done really well financially by playing at Homebush in recent years, but with the biggest membership base of the Sydney clubs (I think?) and a new home closer to their heartland - even as an opposition supporter I’d love to see them fill up the new Allianz regularly - which I think they would be a good chance of doing

I imagine they didnt just move to ANZ for the stadium deal. I reckon demographic shifts have moved their supports (potential supports) West.

I imagine theyd move to WSS before they went back to SFS

Timbo

Staff member
Souths' deal is long term as far as I know, but they'd need to find somewhere alternative during any ANZ upgrades - Bankwest would probably make more sense as SFS is unlikely to be ready.

Especially since he SCG is now well beyond the desirable capacity.

That playing surface will be a dogs breakfast before seasons end.

I imagine they didnt just move to ANZ for the stadium deal. I reckon demographic shifts have moved their supports (potential supports) West.

Yeah fair point about demographics shift, which can be said about a few other clubs. Souffs do get fairly decent crowds out there.

I’d still think if all things are equal that if both stadiums are up (bankwest and SFS) that the SFS would be a far better option. Parramatta is a long way from heartland Redfern. But I suppose Souths fans as a whole would be better positioned to answer that.

On a completely different note - your user name here.... Did you get it from the name of a horse that won the Dubbo Cup or similar?

It’s a great racehorse name for mine!

Saint Doc

Coach
I have no faith that the ANZ rebuild will happen.

But if it did, sure, everyone could move to Bankwest, that seems most likely.

I could see Dogs potentially playing more at Belmore, although I suspect the corporate facilities there are no good.

I wonder if either club would use somewhere like Kogarah- pretty close to both bases actually.

Or Gosford is the other place that is an untapped resource.

Actually one of the big reasons for the move was because they did get a good deal at ANZ. In fact Souths complained publicly that they could not get as good a deal for the SFS as the Roosters did

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Actually one of the big reasons for the move was because they did get a good deal at ANZ. In fact Souths complained publicly that they could not get as good a deal for the SFS as the Roosters did

Yeh, i know that was the reason for the move in 06, but they havent looked likely to move back since and crowds have boomed for them in the west.

If we are gonna get another SFS tennant, i think StG are more likely than Souths.

Marlins

Juniors
Yeh, i know that was the reason for the move in 06, but they havent looked likely to move back since and crowds have boomed for them in the west.

If we are gonna get another SFS tennant, i think StG are more likely than Souths.
If Homebush does get the rebuild, at the end of this year. It think Souths taking half their Sydney games to Wss & Scg/New sfs, would be the way to go.

Timmah

Staff member
Hard to see that happening, Saints fans have been highly resistent to anything but ANZAC Day being played away from Kogarah & Gong.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If Homebush does get the rebuild, at the end of this year. It think Souths taking half their Sydney games to Wss & Scg/New sfs, would be the way to go.

It would definitely be an interesting test to see where they draw more fans. Id still have my money on WSS...

Yeah fair point about demographics shift, which can be said about a few other clubs. Souffs do get fairly decent crowds out there.

I’d still think if all things are equal that if both stadiums are up (bankwest and SFS) that the SFS would be a far better option. Parramatta is a long way from heartland Redfern. But I suppose Souths fans as a whole would be better positioned to answer that.

I dont think "close to Redfern" is a good enough reason by itself.

It is great that Souths have stuck with Redfern as a training ground (a nice appeal to history), but they havent based their home games there since 1988. Remember that fans arent going to the new stadium directly from Redfern (thats the mistake everyone seems to make when talking about Suburban grounds VS Central Stadiums), fan will be coming from all over Sydney. For some, SFS will be more convenient and for others WWS.

I dont think Redfern has anything to do with it

On a completely different note - your user name here.... Did you get it from the name of a horse that won the Dubbo Cup or similar?

It’s a great racehorse name for mine!

Hahah. I never thought of that.

Nah, i just get the name from the show. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Hard to see that happening, Saints fans have been highly resistent to anything but ANZAC Day being played away from Kogarah & Gong.

Maybe that is the format then...

Convince people that EVERY game at the SFS is an event. (Easter Sunday vs Manly, Queens Birthday vs Dogs, NAIDOC Week vs Souths).

Obviously its not quite so easy, but if we have a format that clearly works (ANZAC Day) the obvious course is to repeat it. (I really find it amazing that RL can find success and then just declare "it was a fluke". Origin is the biggest event in Australia, yet no one has thought to try another annual, 3-game series. Amazing!!)

Latest posts