What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Of course the government can call it a loan, its a basic accounting trick. Each department have their own budget to make sure you know which department is efficient and with is being run badly.

This is just an accounting trick. NSW Gov still fund the stadium, but the get to say that they are being very strict with the cash.

This is exactly right. I don't understand why people care about the technicalities of the funding arrangement if the stadium is built, even with a 30k capacity,.

On that capacity, Sydney FC don't get 30k to their games and the Waratah's rarely do either. I am trying to understand why non Roosters fans are getting worked up that a stadium for a team they don't support will average 15k empty seats as opposed to 30k. Nor do I understand why they care how it is funded when it is built.

Labour are milking the political mileage out of this, but I have little doubt it will still be built if they win the election.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Maybe that is the format then...

Convince people that EVERY game at the SFS is an event. (Easter Sunday vs Manly, Queens Birthday vs Dogs, NAIDOC Week vs Souths).

Obviously its not quite so easy, but if we have a format that clearly works (ANZAC Day) the obvious course is to repeat it. (I really find it amazing that RL can find success and then just declare "it was a fluke". Origin is the biggest event in Australia, yet no one has thought to try another annual, 3-game series. Amazing!!)
I think the issue there is simply that there's no guarantee of things becoming events like that - so why take any risk that could lose money?

To be honest the problem wouldn't be with 'creating an event' per se with the Dragons fan base - it would be with taking games away from Kogarah and Wollongong that would actually upset them. Remember R2K and the like in recent decades?

Timmah

Staff member
This is exactly right. I don't understand why people care about the technicalities of the funding arrangement if the stadium is built, even with a 30k capacity,.

On that capacity, Sydney FC don't get 30k to their games and the Waratah's don't either. I am trying to understand why non Roosters fans are getting worked up that a stadium for a team they don't support will average 15k empty seats as opposed to 30k. Nor do I understand why they care how it is funded when it is built.

Labour are milking the political mileage out of this, but I have little doubt it will still be built if they win the election.
I don't have too much of an issue with the venue having a reduced capacity provided we still have a large stadium in ANZ across town for appropriate events (plus SCG next door hosts 46k from memory anyway).

Perth Red

Post Whore
30k for allainz would be more than suitable Id have thought. Make it expendable to 45k in case we ever get corrupted enough to win a soccer world cup. Put the money into a total rebuild of ANZ and create a genuine national stadium worthy of the title.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I still think its crazy that we are so locked in to Moore Park.

Wentworth Park is also government owned and in a MUCH better location. Put the Dog track down in Moore Park and build the new SFS in Glebe.

If they did a decent design (AAMI Park cloud comes to mind), this could be the next Opera House on the Sydney skyline.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Wentworth Park is also government owned and in a MUCH better location. Put the Dog track down in Moore Park and build the new SFS in Glebe.

If they did a decent design (AAMI Park cloud comes to mind), this could be the next Opera House on the Sydney skyline.

Lots of residential neighbors there’s though. Watch the whinging start if they did that.

Shame as it IS a great location.

seanoff

Juniors

How is Wentworth Park better?

To build an SFS/parra sized stadium would take out wattle st and Wentworth park road. There really isn’t any better public transit options, actually its worse.

Its a very small space and the stadium would be up against (into) housing on one side and warehouses on the other.

Its far too small. The SFS and Parra are around 230m long and wide and that doesn’t include concourses which would add another 40m.

So a circle with a 270m diameter. In Wentworth park. Lol. No

Diesel

Referee
How is Wentworth Park better?

To build an SFS/parra sized stadium would take out wattle st and Wentworth park road. There really isn’t any better public transit options, actually its worse.

Its a very small space and the stadium would be up against (into) housing on one side and warehouses on the other.

Its far too small. The SFS and Parra are around 230m long and wide and that doesn’t include concourses which would add another 40m.

So a circle with a 270m diameter. In Wentworth park. Lol. No

I have to agree. It has far worse public transport to the area than the SFS, and no parking whatsoever nearby.

Last Week

Bench

On that capacity, Sydney FC don't get 30k to their games and the Waratah's rarely do either. I am trying to understand why non Roosters fans are getting worked up that a stadium for a team they don't support will average 15k empty seats as opposed to 30k. Nor do I understand why they care how it is funded when it is built.

The fear I think is that it's once again Rugby League that's going to be screwed in this state.

If Labor get in, it's highly unlikely that ANZ will receive the agreed to funds that was made with the NRL, ARU and FFA.

Seeing as there's a good chance that Labor will get in, we want our agreement upheld.

Doesn't matter. Greenberg and Beattie can threaten to move the Grand Final all they like, they won't. They'll fold and sign a new deal with Sydney.

beave

Coach
The fear I think is that it's once again Rugby League that's going to be screwed in this state.

If Labor get in, it's highly unlikely that ANZ will receive the agreed to funds that was made with the NRL, ARU and FFA.

Seeing as there's a good chance that Labor will get in, we want our agreement upheld.

Doesn't matter. Greenberg and Beattie can threaten to move the Grand Final all they like, they won't. They'll fold and sign a new deal with Sydney.

i disagree. I think they will move it if the ANZ deal falls through.

Origin has shown there is an appetite for league in the non-heartland states and that people will also travel. They will make more money out of moving the GF as well. Cities will pay cash incentives no doubt to the NRL for the right to host the games and ticket sales will make just as much $$ as far as I can imagine (using origin prices at suncorp
as an example)

Not only do they lose face by not moving it, they will lose money, what financial incentive will the NSW gov give the NRL for the right to host the GF if they won’t even pony up for the stadium refurb????

i don’t want to see the GF moved but the lines been drawn in the sand. Labor will lose Sydney the GF if they keep playing this ridiculous f**king game.

Blows my mind that every other state gov and city have pride and passion for their stadiums yet the NSW labor party have a massive disdain for them.

Last Week

Bench
i disagree. I think they will move it if the ANZ deal falls through.

Origin has shown there is an appetite for league in the non-heartland states and that people will also travel. They will make more money out of moving the GF as well. Cities will pay cash incentives no doubt to the NRL for the right to host the games and ticket sales will make just as much $$ as far as I can imagine (using origin prices at suncorp
as an example)

Not only do they lose face by not moving it, they will lose money, what financial incentive will the NSW gov give the NRL for the right to host the GF if they won’t even pony up for the stadium refurb????

i don’t want to see the GF moved but the lines been drawn in the sand. Labor will lose Sydney the GF if they keep playing this ridiculous f**king game.

Blows my mind that every other state gov and city have pride and passion for their stadiums yet the NSW labor party have a massive disdain for them.

The way I can see it playing out is that if the Grand Final goes out to tender, Labor will offer slightly more than any other city to host it. The NRL will see the dollar signs and take it.

Lambretta

First Grade

Wentworth Park is more than 50 metres from Central. Therefore in the eyes of Sydney siders will not be close enough to transport. Plus its a bottle neck traffic wise. Parking would be a nightmare.

Moore Park will have the light rail running next to it. Plus the SCG is there. I like the idea of our stadiums being on the same site

Timbo

Staff member
Wentworth Park also has a light rail stop, but that's not the point and Wentworth Park is still in a terrible spot.

Light Rail is not the magic bullet that a lot of people seem to think it is. According to the NSW Government's own factsheet on this (http://data.sydneylightrail.transpo...CT SHEET.pdf?vodiM1epE.HysDfPfj6V_aa39N07E.t1) the light rail has a capacity of 13,500 riders per hour - but that is also assuming that people are going in both directions.

IE - It has a per-hour capacity of 6750 towards central, and 6750 towards Randwick per hour from the Moore Park stop. Yes, there will be double-length trains and whatnot but it's not going to be able to move 40,000 to and from either the SCG or the SFS.

Timmah

Staff member
Wentworth Park also has a light rail stop, but that's not the point and Wentworth Park is still in a terrible spot.

Light Rail is not the magic bullet that a lot of people seem to think it is. According to the NSW Government's own factsheet on this (http://data.sydneylightrail.transport.nsw.gov.au/s3fs-public/SLR LIGHT RAIL FACT SHEET.pdf?vodiM1epE.HysDfPfj6V_aa39N07E.t1) the light rail has a capacity of 13,500 riders per hour - but that is also assuming that people are going in both directions.

IE - It has a per-hour capacity of 6750 towards central, and 6750 towards Randwick per hour from the Moore Park stop. Yes, there will be double-length trains and whatnot but it's not going to be able to move 40,000 to and from either the SCG or the SFS.
Light rail is part of the overall transport mix to and from SFS/SCG. Buses will still ferry people direct from Central as well.
And besides, not all 40k will use public transport anyway, there's still thousands who drive and others who'll walk.

(and let's be real, crowds of 40k aren't the norm anyway).

Timbo

Staff member
Light rail is part of the overall transport mix to and from SFS/SCG. Buses will still ferry people direct from Central as well.
And besides, not all 40k will use public transport anyway, there's still thousands who drive and others who'll walk.

(and let's be real, crowds of 40k aren't the norm anyway).

No, for club games it's fine. And as part of a transport mix, it is also fine. It's just a very expensive boondoggle that should have been built as part of a metro.

The real issue is will it be able to handle the capacity of employees going to the Prince of Wales Hospital and students/staff to UNSW in semester - all signs point to no. But that's an issue for another thread.