What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The fear I think is that it's once again Rugby League that's going to be screwed in this state.

If Labor get in, it's highly unlikely that ANZ will receive the agreed to funds that was made with the NRL, ARU and FFA.

Seeing as there's a good chance that Labor will get in, we want our agreement upheld.

Doesn't matter. Greenberg and Beattie can threaten to move the Grand Final all they like, they won't. They'll fold and sign a new deal with Sydney.

I think we will take the GF across the country...

I think people dont appreaciate how brave it was to take one Origin game away every year. The old system of “one every three years” was the easy option, but they wanted to try it in new locations.

I think there will be huge demand from other state governments and i think the ARLC will like the idea of being a National game instead of just Sydney or Melbourne centric.

It will be funny though, if Labor tear up the deal. They will need to pay basically the same money to keep the GF, except it will go straight to the NRL bank account instead of state owned infrastructure

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think we will take the GF across the country...

I think people dont appreaciate how brave it was to take one Origin game away every year. The old system of “one every three years” was the easy option, but they wanted to try it in new locations.

I think there will be huge demand from other state governments and i think the ARLC will like the idea of being a National game instead of just Sydney or Melbourne centric.

It will be funny though, if Labor tear up the deal. They will need to pay basically the same money to keep the GF, except it will go straight to the NRL bank account instead of state owned infrastructure

Not really, $7-10mill a year will secure them the final. They’ll probably sign a ten or twenty year deal which is a lot less money than either of the stadiums.

If this was offered nrl would jump at it, it’s still a Sydney centric organisation and they won’t want to take it away imo.

Delboy

First Grade
4 years on and there no ALF oval out there that I’m aware of
Well, the Labour council at Blacktown built a $30 million stadium complex for the Greater Sydney Wombats, don't think the AFL team knows where it is.

Certainly haven't heard of anything there for a few years, but they apply pressure to get things done,open with a fanfare that they will take over Western Sydney and go play elsewhere. The pollies and particularly Labour fall for it every time, that's what comes off being headquartered in bleak city.

TheFrog

Coach
Labour are milking the political mileage out of this, but I have little doubt it will still be built if they win the election.
I do hope they suspend it for a nice extended period, though, just to make those arrogant types who insisted on starting the demolition in the shadows of an election sweat it out for a bit.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I do hope they suspend it for a nice extended period, though, just to make those arrogant types who insisted on starting the demolition in the shadows of an election sweat it out for a bit.

You mean the Liberals?

I dont think they will give a shit. Theyll be in Opposition, so its not their problem anymore

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So for some random political 'muahahaha' gotcha moment you want sporting organisations (i.e. clubs) to continue to suffer without their regular home ground facilities and potentially lose capital...

That's pretty shit

M2D2

Bench
I remember half a year ago, alot of people were saying there was no way in hell Labor was winning that next election.
I wonder if they still have that confidence now.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I remember half a year ago, alot of people were saying there was no way in hell Labor was winning that next election.
I wonder if they still have that confidence now.
1920px-NSW_state_election_2018_polling_-_two-party_preferred_votes.svg.png

This is the 2PP graph, last poll taken was end of November and we're now just two months away.

The data is a mix of inputs - YouGov, Essential, Newspoll etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_New_South_Wales_state_election#Polling

i disagree. I think they will move it if the ANZ deal falls through.

Origin has shown there is an appetite for league in the non-heartland states and that people will also travel. They will make more money out of moving the GF as well. Cities will pay cash incentives no doubt to the NRL for the right to host the games and ticket sales will make just as much $$ as far as I can imagine (using origin prices at suncorp
as an example)

Not only do they lose face by not moving it, they will lose money, what financial incentive will the NSW gov give the NRL for the right to host the GF if they won’t even pony up for the stadium refurb????

i don’t want to see the GF moved but the lines been drawn in the sand. Labor will lose Sydney the GF if they keep playing this ridiculous f**king game.

Blows my mind that every other state gov and city have pride and passion for their stadiums yet the NSW labor party have a massive disdain for them.

No offence, but the pricing thjjey use for Origin is what they use for the GF, so in ticket sales alone Suncorp will not see the NRL get as much money as from ANZ due to the difference in capacities. It will only be any money the Qld Government throws at the NRL to land it that would make it competitive financially. Also on a side note, it could mean increased costs for the NRL due to having to fly more staff interstate for the game, accomodate them, as well as accomodating up to two teams on top of that.

magpie_man

Juniors
Blows my mind that every other state gov and city have pride and passion for their stadiums yet the NSW labor party have a massive disdain for them.

Further to that: the way that any NSW Government (Labor or Liberal) treats RL like some sort of red-headed stepchild.
The NRL GF is, at worst, in the top 3 biggest events in the annual Australian sporting calendar and they almost pretend like it doesn't exist.
Meanwhile, a transplanted team from Melbourne that wins an event that is exclusively played in Melbourne and they throw a street parade for them.
Bugger me.

thorson1987

Coach
No offence, but the pricing thjjey use for Origin is what they use for the GF, so in ticket sales alone Suncorp will not see the NRL get as much money as from ANZ due to the difference in capacities. It will only be any money the Qld Government throws at the NRL to land it that would make it competitive financially. Also on a side note, it could mean increased costs for the NRL due to having to fly more staff interstate for the game, accomodate them, as well as accomodating up to two teams on top of that.

Don't they charge more for Origin at Suncorp than they do at ANZ????

Zadar

Juniors
Not really, $7-10mill a year will secure them the final. They’ll probably sign a ten or twenty year deal which is a lot less money than either of the stadiums.

If this was offered nrl would jump at it, it’s still a Sydney centric organisation and they won’t want to take it away imo.

10million is the starting bid price from other states, the economic value to Sydney over the grand final weekend is over 20million dollars, not only will league fans be angry, but all hospitality industries will be furious, add to that, the FFA and rugby union also have deals based on the stadium upgrades, so the bledisloe cup and major soccer events will be up for grabs too, this could backfire pretty badly for labor, and leave Sydney as a has been sports city.

It would be funny watching the labor government bid to get these events back.

beave

Coach

the listed prices prove my point. And wait til closer to origin period and it will swing even further towards my argument, I’ve observed it for years mate that suncorp origin games the tickets prices are always higher by 25-30%. And with a GF, people up here will pay premiums due to the ‘event’ nature of it. There won’t be a need to do rock bottom ticket prices to get a sell out like 2017’s GF.

your argument for the NRL losing $$ by providing flights and accomodation for teams travelling is pretty much moot when 7 of the 16 teams are from out of sydney and would need
the same considerations when the GF is held in Sydney if facing one another...... and most years there’s been one out of sydney team involved in the GF like 2018, 2017 (both), 2016, 2015 (both), 2012, 2011, 2009,2008,2007,2006 (both), 2005, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998........

I can only imagine the effort the winning bidding cities would put into the event as well, 2017 you wouldn’t have even
known there was a f**king GF happening such was the lack of fanfare around sydney. Was very disappointing.

King hit

Coach
I can only imagine the effort the winning bidding cities would put into the event as well, 2017 you wouldn’t have even
known there was a f**king GF happening such was the lack of fanfare around sydney. Was very disappointing.

To be fair there wasn’t much fanfare around anywhere. That was the most predictable grand final possibly ever so there wasn’t much spice or tension in the build up. I was in Sydney for the 2016 grand final and Rugby League was the talk of the town with the game on everyone’s lips

NSW would have to outbid other states by a lot more seeing their stadiums are antiques

Especially brookvale oval

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...-stop-stadium-demolition-20190122-p50sxs.html

Mouse roars: two Sydney councils weigh up legal advice to stop stadium demolition

Megan Gorrey
22 January 2019 — 7:54pm

Two eastern suburbs councils are considering a last-ditch bid to halt the demolition of Allianz Stadium after one of them received legal advice suggesting the government's approval of demolition was flawed.

With early demolition works under way, Waverley Council has received legal advice it says suggested Planning Minister Anthony Roberts did not lawfully approve the controversial demolition of the Moore Park venue.

Waverley's mayor, John Wakefield, said the advice questioned whether the Minister's consent to an early stage of the project had been issued correctly, particularly whether the plans displayed "design excellence" as required under the local environment plan.

Council papers stated that the government's "potential non-compliance is egregious with adverse impact on Waverley's residents and businesses".

Cr Wakefield said councillors on Monday resolved to write to Mr Roberts to request the demolition be halted until the Minister addressed any errors in the approval process.

The council also voted to launch legal action against the government in the NSW Land and Environment Court on two conditions: that another council joined the proceedings, and that the Minister did not provide a satisfactory response to its concerns.

Cr Wakefield said the council wanted the state government to "please explain". "Produce legal advice to show we're wrong, we might not need to take this further," he said.

"We well recognise we are just a council. This is the mouse that roared. We would need the cooperation of an adjacent council if we were to proceed with legal action."

Opposition Leader Michael Daley last month released legal advice from planning lawyer Tim Robertson, SC, who concluded the consent for the demolition and rebuild of Allianz was invalid.

Mr Daley, who has campaigned against the government's stadiums policy, sent the advice to four councils for them to decide whether to launch legal action.

The City of Sydney and Woollahra councils ruled out taking part in any legal challenge.

That left the Labor and Greens dominated Waverley and Randwick councils to consider whether they would take the matter further. The stadium is in the City of Sydney's local government area.

Randwick City Council is expected to consider the matter at its next meeting, said the council's Labor deputy mayor Danny Said.

It's understood councillors will also meet this week to discuss Waverley Council's decision.

Waverley Council first resolved to write to the Minister last month, however, three Liberal councillors put forward a rescission motion delaying the letter.

That motion was voted down at an extraordinary council meeting on Monday night.

Liberal councillor Leon Goltsman, who supported the rescission motion, feared Waverley and Randwick councils would turn their opposition to the redevelopment into "a political fiasco".

"The whole thing has been a political ploy. Our situation is that there would be no impact [of the stadium redevelopment] on Waverley residents."

A spokesman for Mr Roberts previously accused Mr Daley of a "sad stunt" and said the criticism of design excellence standards had "no basis in fact".

He also rejected Labor's advice that the consent was in breach of planning policy as "fundamentally, categorically wrong". The consent was only for the demolition, not for construction of the new stadium, he said.

The government plans to knock down the stadium and build a replacement 45,000-seat venue for $730 million.