What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

In all seriousness, to do some of the construction to build this stadium, they would have to close some of the train lines to do so. They can't do that as it would cause the rail network to seize up, which I dare say is the major problem. I mean to construct the Metro they have close 2 platforms at Central completely and ripped up the rails.

If that is the case, this proposal will be very unlikely to find favour with either side of politics.

unforgiven

Bench
In all seriousness, to do some of the construction to build this stadium, they would have to close some of the train lines to do so. They can't do that as it would cause the rail network to seize up, which I dare say is the major problem. I mean to construct the Metro they have close 2 platforms at Central completely and ripped up the rails.
That is not even mentioning the other disruption a job of this size in the CBD will cause, with the disruption that has been caused with the light rail,I doubt any government will be putting their hnads up for this in the near future.

That is not even mentioning the other disruption a job of this size in the CBD will cause, with the disruption that has been caused with the light rail,I doubt any government will be putting their hnads up for this in the near future.

It’s not much different to building a skyscraper, that happens all the time in the city. The sites are pretty much contained, it’s just some extra trucks, but a whole heap of those can be brought in at night if necessary.

My only thing about the central stadium idea, it needs to be the main Sydney stadium. If you’re going to put it in such a location you need to maximise the events, this is expensive real estate.

So it’d need to be 70k so it could host the grand final, origin & all the big concerts.

sempmrh

Juniors

If that is the case, this proposal will be very unlikely to find favour with either side of politics.
It can be done. Melbourne is building a rail tunnel cutting under the entirety of the CBD with five new stations. For almost the entire month of April, nine lines will be closed at various times. Basically, it’s short term pain for long term gain. If we were worried about disruptions nothing would ever get done.

Suitman

Post Whore
It can be done. Melbourne is building a rail tunnel cutting under the entirety of the CBD with five new stations. For almost the entire month of April, nine lines will be closed at various times. Basically, it’s short term pain for long term gain. If we were worried about disruptions nothing would ever get done.

Melbourne also built Federation Square over railway lines.

Crippler

Juniors
How much would a central station stadium cost ?

Perhaps fund it with apartment block sales and retail ?
Minimise tax payer funds.

Don't touch anz stadium let it rot. Or just used for concerts.

Build the modern roofed rectangular stadium Sydney deserves cheaper than anz and Allianz

Then no excuse for people to get a train straight to this central stadium from all around Sydney Metro area. Would probably be quicker to get to this stadium by train rather than driving to homebush then find parking and long walk to the entrance.

Assuming you live close to a train station.

I like it alot and be willing to wait 5 years for it to happen.

Stuff the scg trust just demolish Allianz make it parkland or another Bankwest stadium.

Timbo

Staff member
I think the problem with the Central Station stadium is that most people, even those who aren’t necessarily opposed to the stadium, just don’t really care enough.

A lot of people would be fine for a Bankwest or even a Robina to go up at Moore Park as long as it doesn’t disrupt their lives. The second you start closing rail lines for a facility that a lot of people will never set foot in that’s when it becomes a political liability.

This is a football forum and we all know what the benefits are - but for a lot of people that would be a bridge too far.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think the problem with the Central Station stadium is that most people, even those who aren’t necessarily opposed to the stadium, just don’t really care enough.

A lot of people would be fine for a Bankwest or even a Robina to go up at Moore Park as long as it doesn’t disrupt their lives. The second you start closing rail lines for a facility that a lot of people will never set foot in that’s when it becomes a political liability.

This is a football forum and we all know what the benefits are - but for a lot of people that would be a bridge too far.

The reason this is an issue is it has been poorly sold to the public as a sport or NRL only thing. If the whole economic benefits were sold it would be fine.

If am only against the size of the rebuild due to the use of Allianz and crowds for those events. For all we know there is 3 or 4 new events waiting for it.

It was poorly managed all along

Rugby league’s worth all the trouble, though.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
The idea of sinking the rail lines and building over Central station is nothing new, and can easily be done without disrupting trains. There are plans well in advance for exactly this to happen - not for a stadium though.

20 years from now the corridor from Central to Redfern will be covered in skyscrapers, both business and residential. It's a shame there was never discussion for a stadium.

Last Week

Bench
Just to throw another idea there, how about building one over the lines just west of Redfern station?

That station seems to be pretty central to all lines. Just not on the city circle. Which I don't think the government would mind too much as it reduces the congestion.

T-Boon

Coach
Fair enough. But still - you could use that reclaimed space for a lot of different things. Might be more palatable to the decision makers if they stress how it would benefit the public as a whole.

they could add to it a women in sport museum and womens high performance centre for the matildas or something so those against the idea can be cast as sexist pigs. Basically get the womens sporting teams pitching the idea.

sempmrh

Juniors
they could add to it a women in sport museum and womens high performance centre for the matildas or something so those against the idea can be cast as sexist pigs. Basically get the womens sporting teams pitching the idea.
So basically what we're looking to build is a precinct that includes a facility for women's sport, a hospital for sick kids, a school, some commercial space to recoup some of the costs, a town square or garden area for the community and maybe a cheeky little state of the art rectangular stadium since we're already going to the trouble.

T-Boon

Coach
So basically what we're looking to build is a precinct that includes a facility for women's sport, a hospital for sick kids, a school, some commercial space to recoup some of the costs, a town square or garden area for the community and maybe a cheeky little state of the art rectangular stadium since we're already going to the trouble.

Lets start digging.

Diesel

Referee

I get that, but in Brisbane the state government is pushing ahead with Brisbane Live, an entertainment centre over the rail tracks at Roma St, which is at least 8 platforms

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...na-proposal-came-to-life-20181102-p50dps.html

I raise the issue as I go through Central Station every day on my way to and from work. the land adjoining the rail lines is already heavily developed, especially on the western side with apartment buildings.

Also the Sydney Rail system is designed around the Sydney CBD. You would cut all bar the Eastern Suburbs rail line if you had to close Central completely for even a few weeks to start the construction work. You need room to store things when you are doing construction and there is no real room around Central to put the kind of stuff you would need to keep to hand to do it.

If you know more than me, please enlighten me. However don't just go "oh they did it in city x so it can be done here" as not all cities have a rail system with as many bottlenecks as our system does nor being as centralised to funnel people to one point.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I raise the issue as I go through Central Station every day on my way to and from work. the land adjoining the rail lines is already heavily developed, especially on the western side with apartment buildings.

Also the Sydney Rail system is designed around the Sydney CBD. You would cut all bar the Eastern Suburbs rail line if you had to close Central completely for even a few weeks to start the construction work. You need room to store things when you are doing construction and there is no real room around Central to put the kind of stuff you would need to keep to hand to do it.

If you know more than me, please enlighten me. However don't just go "oh they did it in city x so it can be done here" as not all cities have a rail system with as many bottlenecks as our system does nor being as centralised to funnel people to one point.

How is that any different to Roma St in Brisbane? All the rail lines go through Roma St, but somehow QLD can build an entertainment centre right over the tracks?

How is that any different to Roma St in Brisbane? All the rail lines go through Roma St, but somehow QLD can build an entertainment centre right over the tracks?

I suggest you have a look of photos of the sites in question. That might explain part of the problem.

The other is the way services are run. For example, what was a service on the Western Sydney line going into the CBD, becomes as outbound train on the northern suburbs line. If you have to take all of central station out of the loop, you cannot do that, and they don't have enough rolling stock to keep the same level of services going if they cannot transfer through like that (as I understand it). The western Sydney line is the most heavily used line in the entire network.