What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

VictoryFC

Bench
The LA Coliseum is undergoing a massive renno.
The Rose Bowl at Pasadena.

Both are quite old though. Coliseum should be decent once finished from the renders I’ve seen.

Yeah, currently both are outdated and shit as rectangular venues. Coliseum will look better when renovated, but it remains a glorified college football stadium. No roof, very basic as a venue, and miles and miles of space between ends and playing field.

Sydneys stadia will be better all round.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, currently both are outdated and shit as rectangular venues. Coliseum will look better when renovated, but it remains a glorified college football stadium. No roof, very basic as a venue, and miles and miles of space between ends and playing field.

Sydneys stadia will be better all round.

It amazes me how they dont bother with roofs in USA, some very hardy fans there compared to here!

thorson1987

Coach
It amazes me how they dont bother with roofs in USA, some very hardy fans there compared to here!

Buffalo fans take the cake with this. As well as their team being generally shit they get to deal with this.

121017_BillsCary2.jpg

At least teams like Green Bay and New England have had some sort of success recently to help deal with the weather.

VictoryFC

Bench

Not like they dont bother. Minneapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, LV, new LA all have roofs as recent builds, though SF and NY opted not to, perhaps because of already high costs building in NY and SF.

Rooster8

Juniors
Whispers circulating currently that the Roosters are considering moving SCG games to either North Sydney Oval (Considering the relationship with their feeder club), or Bankwest. There was a huge uproar after Fridays game due to the members positions in the SCG. My guess would be that members weren't happy with the view, scoreboard location, lack of covered seats etc.

I understand as being a silver member, we (Silver, Gold, Chookpen etc) are all allocated in the Bill O'Reilly stand. You can't see the main scoreboard at all, only the 5m x 2m screen in the Clive Churchill stand which does't even show the full display. Although we are very far from the field, it wasn't a massive problem as I expected that. Other than that, the facilities are great. No lines for toilets, small lines for alcohol and food, and general member exclusiveness felt improved compared to previous years.

Lets see where this goes, as after the ANZAC games, the remaining home venues (Besides Adelaide, Magic Round and CC) are all TBA.

Diesel

Referee
Playing 2+ seasons at the SCG seems counter-intuitive to me and it appears some members as well, much like the proposed GF. It’s not an ideal stadium for RL

horrie hastings

First Grade
Whispers circulating currently that the Roosters are considering moving SCG games to either North Sydney Oval (Considering the relationship with their feeder club), or Bankwest. There was a huge uproar after Fridays game due to the members positions in the SCG. My guess would be that members weren't happy with the view, scoreboard location, lack of covered seats etc.

I understand as being a silver member, we (Silver, Gold, Chookpen etc) are all allocated in the Bill O'Reilly stand. You can't see the main scoreboard at all, only the 5m x 2m screen in the Clive Churchill stand which does't even show the full display. Although we are very far from the field, it wasn't a massive problem as I expected that. Other than that, the facilities are great. No lines for toilets, small lines for alcohol and food, and general member exclusiveness felt improved compared to previous years.

Lets see where this goes, as after the ANZAC games, the remaining home venues (Besides Adelaide, Magic Round and CC) are all TBA.

I cannot seeing that happening this year as there is too much in place already, the only way I could see it happening this year is if there is too much wear and tear on the playing surface and the Swans throw up a tanty . Seriously though I hope they put more thought into it next year, 2-3 games at the SCG max, then a mix with Gosford, WSS, North Sydney Oval if the corporate facilities are up to scratch or even Leichhardt, this is not perfect but if we are going to get a brand new SFS we have to put up with being nomadic if we don't play at the SCG.

Timbo

Staff member
I cannot seeing that happening this year as there is too much in place already, the only way I could see it happening this year is if there is too much wear and tear on the playing surface and the Swans throw up a tanty . Seriously though I hope they put more thought into it next year, 2-3 games at the SCG max, then a mix with Gosford, WSS, North Sydney Oval if the corporate facilities are up to scratch or even Leichhardt, this is not perfect but if we are going to get a brand new SFS we have to put up with being nomadic if we don't play at the SCG.

I'm not so sure - the SCG turf is already taking a hammering. If it continues their hand may be forced.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'm not so sure - the SCG turf is already taking a hammering. If it continues their hand may be forced.

It will be interesting to see how the surface holds up after the Waratahs play there this coming Saturday. Rugby Union seems to do the most damage to the surface where League and AFL are not as damaging to the ground, hopefully the ground will settle down once the Waratahs commitments are over which is only 2 more games but if too much damage is done during this time yes it could be on going for the rest of the year and their hands may be forced.

Last edited:
My sense regarding the SCG turf is it’s because a few years ago they totally changed the drainage situation & laid new turf. It’s a more sandy base to improve drainage for cricket.

This works ok for the AFL, as they’re pretty light on the surface. But union & to a lesser degree RL are going to do more damage.

North Sydney Oval?! ROFL. Mate its facilities are completely primitive. If it rains you will get soaked and the stands are worse than the Latchem Robinson stand at Leichhardt Oval. I wouldn't play a game there in a pink fit.

horrie hastings

First Grade
North Sydney Oval?! ROFL. Mate its facilities are completely primitive. If it rains you will get soaked and the stands are worse than the Latchem Robinson stand at Leichhardt Oval. I wouldn't play a game there in a pink fit.

Yeah I know, I was clutching at straws with NSO and Leichhardt there but also highlighting that if we don't play at the SCG our options are pretty limited apart from Gosford and WSS[ not even going to throw up ANZ as an option].

I'm not a turf expert by any stretch, but AFL when they play, as well as RL and cricket, all play North-South.

I'm fairly certain the Waratahs played East-West for some reason. Like the A League did.

Now, if three of the four regular sports play a certain way, would it not be credible to think the east-west sides are 'less' used to foot/stud traffic?

I'm almost certain the turf that the Waratahs churned up in that game was relaid but not even in use (or less so) in the Roosters/Rabbitohs clash.

And why do the Rah-Rah's and A League play East-West? Other than view?

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm not a turf expert by any stretch, but AFL when they play, as well as RL and cricket, all play North-South.

I'm fairly certain the Waratahs played East-West for some reason. Like the A League did.

Now, if three of the four regular sports play a certain way, would it not be credible to think the east-west sides are 'less' used to foot/stud traffic?

I'm almost certain the turf that the Waratahs churned up in that game was relaid but not even in use (or less so) in the Roosters/Rabbitohs clash.

And why do the Rah-Rah's and A League play East-West? Other than view?

Cause they probably always play at night? So the sun isn't an issue.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Why the Roosters didnt take their Knights game to the CC, i have no idea...

Home crowd advantage is not a thing when the home crowd is below 10k. Better to take advantage of some opposition support and make some money.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I hope it does change this year. The Roosters are in for a pretty horror average if they stay at the SCG.

Should take advantage of the CC and maybe Leichhardt.

How would wentworth park go these days? I know they have Glebe back and corporates must be decent if they have the dog races there. It would probably do better than the SCG when Canberra/GC come to play. The nostalgia value (like Back to Belmore/Redfern) would be a decent drawcard

Why the Roosters didnt take their Knights game to the CC, i have no idea...

Home crowd advantage is not a thing when the home crowd is below 10k. Better to take advantage of some opposition support and make some money.

Of the 14 games the Roosters have taken to Gosford, they have won 5 and lost 9. Of those 14 games, 4 of them were against Newcastle (in Round 10 2010, Round 6 2008, Round 12 2007, and Round 22 2006) and the Roosters lost all 4 of them. Gosford all but turns it into a Knights home game as it is right in their catchment area.