What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Dogs Of War

Coach
I hope it does change this year. The Roosters are in for a pretty horror average if they stay at the SCG.

Should take advantage of the CC and maybe Leichhardt.

How would wentworth park go these days? I know they have Glebe back and corporates must be decent if they have the dog races there. It would probably do better than the SCG when Canberra/GC come to play. The nostalgia value (like Back to Belmore/Redfern) would be a decent drawcard

The covered section is pretty far from the field.

It wouldn't be great. And I think it would be lucky to get 15K.

I hope it does change this year. The Roosters are in for a pretty horror average if they stay at the SCG.

How would wentworth park go these days? I know they have Glebe back and corporates must be decent if they have the dog races there. It would probably do better than the SCG when Canberra/GC come to play. The nostalgia value (like Back to Belmore/Redfern) would be a decent drawcard

Wentworth Park only has the one grandstand to view the game from, no other elevated areas. I’d be guessing but the capacity of the stand would be around 5000.

Wentworth Park only has the one grandstand to view the game from, no other elevated areas. I’d be guessing but the capacity of the stand would be around 5000.

Also the last time the Roosters played a home game there was Round 10 in 1929, so there would not be a lot of people who would be "nostalgic" at all. No league team has played there since Balmain in Round 2 1931. Source: https://afltables.com/rl/venues/wentworth_gm.html

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Of the 14 games the Roosters have taken to Gosford, they have won 5 and lost 9. Of those 14 games, 4 of them were against Newcastle (in Round 10 2010, Round 6 2008, Round 12 2007, and Round 22 2006) and the Roosters lost all 4 of them. Gosford all but turns it into a Knights home game as it is right in their catchment area.

I think people over-estimate the value of a home crowd.....

And the idea of deliberately reducing the crowd for fear of the opposition fans is just insane. Take the money and go where the fans are.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Roosters used Wentworth Park as a training ground years ago, I watched them train there a few times, good view from the grandstand but really it would only suit basically a trial match because of the capacity, maybe move the game against the Titans there ,it wouldn't draw any worse than at the SCG. Newtown actually played a trial match there earlier this year, I was going to have a look but caught up at work.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
The question for me is re Allianz in particular, should Mr Charisma Daley get in and it looks likely, will he rebuild Allianz in el cheapo mode for 30,000 al la WSS or leave it looking like a post bombing raid in the ME?
And ANZ will remain basically an AFL ground, for pretend rectangular sports !!!!!

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Click for full screen pic.

That looks fantastic, nice and shiny and green.

Is there any concern about the surface binding correctly before it gets match contact? I know in the early days of Marvel stadium the surface was horrible and sandy as the grass didn't have enough time to bind and toughen before regular traffic on it. Probably better in this situation as it is more exposed to better growing conditions, especially sunlight.

siv

First Grade
The question for me is re Allianz in particular, should Mr Charisma Daley get in and it looks likely, will he rebuild Allianz in el cheapo mode for 30,000 al la WSS or leave it looking like a post bombing raid in the ME?
And ANZ will remain basically an AFL ground, for pretend rectangular sports !!!!!

I reckon he will leave it there to rot and leave it the SCG Trust and Sydney Council to address. With the SFS gold member car park shrinking and now closed it wont take long before car parking becomes a issue

Can beleive how we have gone from 4 sporting venues 40 years ago SSG SCG SCG#2 and RASG to just the SCG

big hit!

Bench
It amazes me how they dont bother with roofs in USA, some very hardy fans there compared to here!

snow isn't as uncomfortable as rain.

weather conditions a bit different. you'll find cities in the south (humidity and rain), and cities in the north (freezing cold) will have build new stadiums with roofs or be indoor. cities at altitude are generally drier so it doesn't rain as much. no need for roof.

it's much more obvious here because major cities are on the coast where it is generally more humid or inland heat mixes with ocean coolness delivering more erratic weather patterns.

Coalition minority govt is the most likely.

I reckon he will leave it there to rot and leave it the SCG Trust and Sydney Council to address. With the SFS gold member car park shrinking and now closed it wont take long before car parking becomes a issue

Can beleive how we have gone from 4 sporting venues 40 years ago SSG SCG SCG#2 and RASG to just the SCG

There’s no way he’ll just leave it there. Something will happen, 3 clubs depend on it.

big hit!

Bench
And why do the Rah-Rah's and A League play East-West? Other than view?

Bring the members closer to the playing area. Not sure of Waratahs, but FC moved the playing area as close as possible to the Noble/Bradman stand. It meant there was a mile between the Chruchill & Trumper Stands and the near sideline. I don't think they're expecting to sell tix in these areas for the remaining matches. I'd say the Roosters may need to consider doing the same. With a 10-15k average, they don't need to centre the field for viewing by the whole ground.

Roosters are in for a horror year financially IMO, particularly if they persist with N-S orientation. Really need another good year on the field to keep the punters rolling in. An average season and crowd numbers could really plummet. SCG is an absolutely horrible venue for rectangular field sport.

seanoff

Juniors
That looks fantastic, nice and shiny and green.

Is there any concern about the surface binding correctly before it gets match contact? I know in the early days of Marvel stadium the surface was horrible and sandy as the grass didn't have enough time to bind and toughen before regular traffic on it. Probably better in this situation as it is more exposed to better growing conditions, especially sunlight.

turf science has moved on since then. turf is regularly relaid at stadiums across australia in season with little or no problem marvel has new turf installed all the time. i'd be surprised if Bankwest didnt have a hybrid system (like pretty much everywhere else) which is playable almost as soon a its down

From the video it looks as though the surface is HG Sports Turf which is basically Desso Grassmaster/Playmaster

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Im really hoping the SFS gets beaten up enough pre-election to NEED a knockdown...

My guess, he will fund the rebuild on the cheap (WSW, so not a bad result) and declare it is a loan to the SCG Trust (an internal accounting trick that will be made public for political purposes).

As for ANZ, that will be a negotiation between the ARLC and NSW Gov. I think Daley has deliberately not said much about that one. He could probably get away with saying "look how much we saved. Now we're gonna build ANZ withthe savings and keep the NRL GF".

I think the NRL will still come out of this pretty well.

taipan

Referee

If he just leaves it to rot, the local Greens will not be happy,including Clover Moore or Less.

Latest posts