What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Marshall

Juniors
I think if Labor wins the SFS will get rebuilt, probably at around 30,000 to 35,000 capacity and not have the same gold plating the SCG Trust want.

The majority of sports that play their would be happy with the above outcome.

The only people that would be unhappy are the SCG Trust and Rugby Union (who want the biggest venue in the eastern suburbs so they don't have to play at Homebush). Them being unhappy is a win win in my view.

The most important outcome is to get Homebush re-developed into a great rectangular stadium of 75,000 to 80,000 capacity. Homebush is far easier location for the majority of people that live in Sydney to get to.
How much time would that add onto the
whole project if it’s a complete re-design? It would probably be another year or two out of action?

whole project if it’s a complete re-design? It would probably be another year or two out of action?

I doubt it. You could go with the Parramatta Stadium plans if necessary.

Has anyone seen detailed plans for the new proposed stadium?

It wouldn't take a long time to design a different smaller stadium for the site.

The Marshall

Juniors
I doubt it. You could go with the Parramatta Stadium plans if necessary.

Has anyone seen detailed plans for the new proposed stadium?

It wouldn't take a long time to design a different smaller stadium for the site.
I could be wrong but didn’t Parra and the SFS use different firms to design the stadiums? So I don’t think they could go down that path. Then getting approval would add at least another season on to the current stadium.

azza29

Juniors
Good result here. Having demolition started means Labor has to put a stadium there.. No way they leave it just a shell
Is there any chance they don't rebuild? Danby seems like the kind of guy that might see through a terrible idea regardless of public perception. Possibly a worst case scenario but if they're that determined to spend every cent on "schools and hospitals" it may not be out of the question.

Timbo

Staff member
Is there any chance they don't rebuild? Danby seems like the kind of guy that might see through a terrible idea regardless of public perception. Possibly a worst case scenario but if they're that determined to spend every cent on "schools and hospitals" it may not be out of the question.

There's no way they don't rebuild. There are too many stakeholders who have had promises made by the current government - there would probably be a few lawsuits too.

But there's also the reality of the fact that Daley isn't going to leave a black hole on the edge of the CBD in a major recreation area.

I really think the render that was released a few months ago of a $750m state-of-the-art venue was to provide Gladys cover so that if she wins the election with a reduced majority she can say 'OK, I've listened to the electorate and clearly this was a misstep - so we're building a stadium for half that cost that will still be an upgrade for all of the tenants of the venue'. Daley can use the same move - he will just say 'OK, we opposed this stadium but having a venue here is vital for the economy of NSW - but $750m is ridiculous, so we're building something at half the cost that will serve the needs of all relevant stakeholders'.

Whoever wins the election, they save face and a new venue is built all the same. It'll still be an upgrade on the SFS, just with fewer bells and whistles.

Timbo

Staff member
I could be wrong but didn’t Parra and the SFS use different firms to design the stadiums? So I don’t think they could go down that path. Then getting approval would add at least another season on to the current stadium.

New Parra was designed by Populous, who are widely held up as the best sports architecture firm in the world.

I think Cox Architects are designing the new stadium, they designed the existing venue.

I think if Labor wins the SFS will get rebuilt, probably at around 30,000 to 35,000 capacity and not have the same gold plating the SCG Trust want.

The majority of sports that play their would be happy with the above outcome.

The only people that would be unhappy are the SCG Trust and Rugby Union (who want the biggest venue in the eastern suburbs so they don't have to play at Homebush). Them being unhappy is a win win in my view.

The most important outcome is to get Homebush re-developed into a great rectangular stadium of 75,000 to 80,000 capacity. Homebush is far easier location for the majority of people that live in Sydney to get to.

I actually think it’s more likely than not that the ANZ refurbishment doesn’t go ahead.

There’s no way labor will do it in the short term if they win, and I think the liberal party will calculate they’ve used too much political capital on Allianz stadium.

I actually don’t think this is the worst outcome for rugby league.

Rugby League only really needs to play 2 games at ANZ per year. ANZ not being refurbished could force the bulldogs to move to BankWest stadium, and for Souths to possibly move back to Moore Park.

Plus it would allow for ANZ to be properly knocked down in 10 years or so. That’s a better result for Sydney than the current plan.

As an added bonus, the NRL would then be free to sell the grand final to the highest bidder.

Won’t add much time, the demolition won’t even be finished for several months. Then they probably have site remediation work to take care of some pollution.

I dare say they even drew up plans for a smaller stadium at some point, and remember a smaller build will take less time in itself once it gets out of the ground.

New Parra was designed by Populous, who are widely held up as the best sports architecture firm in the world.

I think Cox Architects are designing the new stadium, they designed the existing venue.

Cox did a good job with Adelaide oval & Optus stadium, plus they’re doing Townsville.

For anyone concerned it’s the same firm I don’t think there’s a worry.

Only thing is the rake of the stands isn’t quite as good as BankWest. Put that may not be their doing.

Marlins

Juniors
I actually think it’s more likely than not that the ANZ refurbishment doesn’t go ahead.

There’s no way labor will do it in the short term if they win, and I think the liberal party will calculate they’ve used too much political capital on Allianz stadium.

I actually don’t think this is the worst outcome for rugby league.

Rugby League only really needs to play 2 games at ANZ per year. ANZ not being refurbished could force the bulldogs to move to BankWest stadium, and for Souths to possibly move back to Moore Park.

Plus it would allow for ANZ to be properly knocked down in 10 years or so. That’s a better result for Sydney than the current plan.

As an added bonus, the NRL would then be free to sell the grand final to the highest bidder.
The libs can’t possibly get any more backlash, then they’ve already got over the new stadia plans. So if they end up winning the election. Why would they renege? They’ll still redo Homebush & SFS and keep the grand final in Sydney.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm strangely confident that the ANZ refurb will go ahead because the government that loses the NRL grand final from Sydney is the one that sees an angry mob burn parliament house down.

Last Week

Bench
I'm strangely confident that the ANZ refurb will go ahead because the government that loses the NRL grand final from Sydney is the one that sees an angry mob burn parliament house down.

Yep, virtually zero chance a Labor government allows that to happen.

Burns

First Grade
Do people actually care that much about the GF being played in Sydney though? I don’t think the average fan would really care that much.

Timbo

Staff member
Do people actually care that much about the GF being played in Sydney though? I don’t think the average fan would really care that much.

I think there are enough that do, and those heavily involved with the tourist sector sure as hell do.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think there are enough that do, and those heavily involved with the tourist sector sure as hell do.

Especially in the current climate of Sydney pretty much losing out to Melbourne on every entertainment/sports event comparison.

The libs can’t possibly get any more backlash, then they’ve already got over the new stadia plans. So if they end up winning the election. Why would they renege? They’ll still redo Homebush & SFS and keep the grand final in Sydney.

If they’re in minority govt, which is a good possibility, they’ll be a few resignations away from losing power. Building an unpopular stadium when you’re trying to fight a by-election is not good politics.

Plus that’s before we even consider one of the independents holding them to ransom over the stadium.

T-Boon

Coach
I think you’re overestimating how much people would care. Sydneysiders are very apathetic towards sport.

They watch on TV and play sports. Most of the countries great sportsmen come from Sydney.
I think a big part of the problem is the main code (Rugby union/league) is split into classes and also these days both are becoming hard to watch.

T-Boon

Coach

I would love it to go elsewhere.
But I do think the talking heads would blow up.