What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

VictoryFC

Bench
One thing we have not touched on here is the cost of constructions with bigger stadiums. Take ANZ Stadium for example, obviously it was built with the Olympics in mind, but today when you think that the only times it gets anywhere close to a capacity is the NRL grand final and state of origin which is 2 or 3 times a year you have to ask the question do we need a stadium that holds 80,000 plus. I am no construction expert but I can only imagine a stadium that has a capacity of 65,000 would be a cheaper option and seriously would still meet our needs.

Completely agree but it's a non-starter. Because the MCG exists, it seems like most people want to have a large 80-100k stadium so that it can attract international events and have a grand final attendance which isn't too far of auskick's.

Of course, they completely ignore the fact that a 60-65,000 world class venue would be ideal for any major NRL, NFL, soccer or union, and would actually be preferred to the MCG or Optus by most international sports teams. It's a complete myth that you need a massive stadium to compete with MCG.

I'd much rather see a 60k stadium replace ANZ, and a 30k stadium replace SFS. And I'd make that 60k stadium modular in the way that Atlanta's is - ability to use curtains to make it have a 20-30k compact mode.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Awwwww.

The two hours a year you had to spend there for a football game must have been sooooo hard.

Funnily enough, thousands of people from one of the wealthiest areas in the country seem to be able to put up with it and its charms.

#RiseForBeave

your home crowd average of 11k this year and 8.6k last would suggest otherwise. Pathetic, just like your ‘ground’.

Quicksilver

Bench
your home crowd average of 11k this year and 8.6k last would suggest otherwise. Pathetic, just like your ‘ground’.

It’s not mine.

But it’s still a significant number of people turning up, despite what your preconceived notion of what it should be is.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
baseball teams play too many f**king games. Christ, they can have double headers with the same 2 teams playing each other. They also have games on during the week which is not exactly crowd friendly (i went to a day game in 2001 at the new Giants stadium and it was a wednesday day game). if they lowered the amount of games played, there would be more incentive for people to turn up to more home games.

They have been arguing about the 140 odd game season in the usa for like 30 years..

It's a game that can swing on the arm of a good pitcher.. they can't just have a 30 game season

VictoryFC

Bench
They have been arguing about the 140 odd game season in the usa for like 30 years..

It's a game that can swing on the arm of a good pitcher.. they can't just have a 30 game season

162 games.

Swing on the arm of a good pitcher? How is that any different to cricket? Or for that matter any other sport? Everything can swing on something.

The real reason they can play so many games is because the sport is conducive to playing lots of games. Physically, it's one of the least taxing sports going around. The only position that needs a bit of rest is the pitcher, which is why they have a rotation of fiveish starting pitchers.

From an attendance perspective, if you want to maximise it, they play too many games.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
162 games.

Swing on the arm of a good pitcher? How is that any different to cricket? Or for that matter any other sport? Everything can swing on something.

The real reason they can play so many games is because the sport is conducive to playing lots of games. Physically, it's one of the least taxing sports going around. The only position that needs a bit of rest is the pitcher, which is why they have a rotation of fiveish starting pitchers.

From an attendance perspective, if you want to maximise it, they play too many games.

They don't let a bowler in cricket bowl every single ball of a game.. do they ..

No sporting comp in Australia is going to reduce their product offering with a hope of growing their average crowd by 500

VictoryFC

Bench
They don't let a bowler in cricket bowl every single ball of a game.. do they ..

No sporting comp in Australia is going to reduce their product offering with a hope of growing their average crowd by 500

Not sure what your angle is with the Australia example, but I completely understand that the NRL is almost certainly not going to reduce games, particularly considering the importance of TV revenue. Knocking off two rounds and losing 16 games on TV isn't happening anytime soon. However with expansion, there are ways to mitigate this. If you add an extra fixture every week, that would be a time to consider any changes to schedule.

As for baseball, again I'm not sure where you're coming from. Most starting pitchers play like 30 games a season, out of a 162 games. Those guys get plenty of rest. There is nothing stopping MLB from cutting their schedule dramatically other than money, which is why it won't be cut. From an attendance perspective though you could easily knock off 30-60 games, have significantly fewer weekday games, and boost attendance at individual games by many thousands.

applesauce

Bench
Saw these posted on SkyscraperCity, couldn't find them in this thread.

LOdzFL9.jpg

nQjKPMK.jpg

7wgmeig.jpg

TheRam

Coach
Awwwww.

The two hours a year you had to spend there for a football game must have been sooooo hard.

Funnily enough, thousands of people from one of the wealthiest areas in the country seem to be able to put up with it and its charms.

#RiseForBeave

Do they though?

bazza

Referee
I'd much rather see a 60k stadium replace ANZ, and a 30k stadium replace SFS. And I'd make that 60k stadium modular in the way that Atlanta's is - ability to use curtains to make it have a 20-30k compact mode.
Yeah - put the budget into fan comfort and good viewing rather than more seats

Perth Red

Post Whore
true. But in todays digital world are kids interested in going to watch sport on a regular basis or are they more interested in being somewhere else, where they are still able to access the game digitally when they want?

I'd say no much has changed, certainly for under 15's. I regularly take my mates kids to the race track with me and they absolutely love the live experience of it. Not once has any of them said they'd rather play on their ipad, and thats something for these kids!

The Marshall

Juniors
Saw these posted on SkyscraperCity, couldn't find them in this thread.

LOdzFL9.jpg

nQjKPMK.jpg

7wgmeig.jpg
Look at the size of those concourse areas in between the lower bowl and the existing stadium. They are going to look shocking without the crowd standing there and a complete waste of space. They are better off leaving it as is until they can level the joint and build a new one from scratch.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Look at the size of those concourse areas in between the lower bowl and the existing stadium. They are going to look shocking without the crowd standing there and a complete waste of space. They are better off leaving it as is until they can level the joint and build a new one from scratch.

Is that on both sides.. a big concrete walkway will look pretty shit empty
But every thing looks shit empty..
Need to work out how to get fans to go

The Marshall

Juniors
Is that on both sides.. a big concrete walkway will look pretty shit empty
But every thing looks shit empty..
Need to work out how to get fans to go
I’m going to assume it’s the same on the other side. Maybe they could sell the space as standing room only? Even then they could only do that for major events.