What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Finally! That’s exactly what I’m saying. You do not understand Sydney at all. Building big stadiums will make very little difference to these suburban tribal clubs. Stop trying to force something that is not possible.
You do understand the concept of “increase“ right? Panthers avg 3 Years ago was 12k. hopefully a new stadium and better customer engagement will see them lift that avg over the coming years significantly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Finally! That’s exactly what I’m saying. You do not understand Sydney at all. Building big stadiums will make very little difference to these suburban tribal clubs. Stop trying to force something that is not possible.
Wow thats either some serious lack of faith in our product or an indication that we may need to look at bigger markets.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Wow thats either some serious lack of faith in our product or an indication that we may need to look at bigger markets.
Has nothing to do with faith. I’m not hoping this happens by just building a 200m stadium like you are. I’m actually looking at the market and understanding it.

A 2 minute google search shows me that not even premiership winning Sydney teams avg 20K the year of it after their GF win so what chance is there a new stadium gets that output.

You are and have been living in a fantasy land using the Sydney crowds as a way of putting shit on them.

It’s like hearing about how hot it is in India all the time…. It’s just how it is so stop talking about it

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
You do understand the concept of “increase“ right? Panthers avg 3 Years ago was 12k. hopefully a new stadium and better customer engagement will see them lift that avg over the coming years significantly.
New airport 20mins away in 2026, 4.5 star hotel being built next door, 60k more residents in ten years, successful on the field with local players.

If a 25k commbank here ain't a raging success I'm gonna be disappointed.

Ozzi_78

First Grade

You talking about an increase now? You said 20K earlier. What is it?

Besides team performance plays a much bigger part in crowds not how comfy your seat is.

I will leave you to your own thoughts now. I’m just going around in circles.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Game day revenue doesn’t pay the bills… tv revenue does. You seem a little preoccupied with increasing crowds. The punters want atmosphere and rivalry….and nothing does that better than Leichhardt…Shark Park or Brookie bursting at the seams with a vocal home crowd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Game day revenue doesn’t pay the bills… tv revenue does. You seem a little preoccupied with increasing crowds. The punters want atmosphere and rivalry….and nothing does that better than Leichhardt…Shark Park or Brookie bursting at the seams with a vocal home crowd.
That’s just a myth put out because we can’t get bums on seats. A club could earn significantly more revenue from its fanbase than the current $13million nrl tv grant, if it can build a big customer base to sell to.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
1 final question PR … what is it you want to see?

Please answer considering what is actually possible not pie in the sky wishes.
I want to see clubs building customer bases that 1. support them building revenue that keeps them sustainable and able to invest in growth and not be so reliant on the nrl handing out the tv grant 2. Looks awsome on tv so the general unwashed look at the game and go “wow that’s a major modern sport that might be worth following” 3. Lift the game beyond its current suburban mentality to be a truly national/regionally international game played in modern stadiums in front of big crowds.

to do that we need 25k min modern stadia imo. If it takes another decade to ge there so be it but let that be our aim.

we have the product, we just need the facilities, vision, ambition and strategy to get there.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
That’s just a myth put out because we can’t get bums on seats. A club cold earn significantly more revenue from its fanbase than the current $13million nrl tv grant, if it can build a big customer base to sell to.
Most clubs battle to break even on game day. Think the Sharks need 14k just to cover costs. Think we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I want to see clubs building customer bases that 1. support them building revenue that keeps them sustainable and able to invest in growth and not be so reliant on the nrl handing out the tv grant 2. Looks awsome on tv so the general unwashed look at the game and go “wow that’s a major modern sport that might be worth following” 3. Lift the game beyond its current suburban mentality to be a truly national/regionally international game played in modern stadiums in front of big crowds.

to do that we need 25k min modern stadia imo. If it takes another decade to ge there so be it but let that be our aim.

we have the product, we just need the facilities, vision, ambition and strategy to get there.
Let’s stay on the sharks here…

1. They have absolutely done this and are well ahead of some rivals now in regards to diversifying their income. This is why the development took priority over extra stadium upgrades. Non football related acquisitions and more to come have secured the future. Now we can look to smart ground improvements within the realms of reality.

2. People watching on tv (which is where the money comes from ;) ) will love to see shark park full at 15 to 16K, much better than kind full just at the ends in a 25K 200m debt stadium. Can’t have it both ways.

3. NO, because in Sydney it’s not this at all. If you want that outside of Sydney fine but stop forcing Sydney to get to these heights. It’s simply not possible. It’s not NFL. It’s not EPL. It’s rugby league in Aus.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most clubs battle to break even on game day. Think the Sharks need 14k just to cover costs. Think we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Yes but that’s the point lol. Rent Al on a modern stadium ranges from around $100-150k a game. At $30 ticket avg that’s 4-5000 tickets to sell. Throw in marketing, game day experience etc and you need to sell around 9-10k tickets to break even. Whilst you are getting crowds of 12-14k you’re not making much money! Get that up to 20k plus and you’re starting to see some decent revenue. add in increased corporate sales a modern stadia and big crowds give you and you’re now making money. Get memberships up to 40k and were in business. it shouldn’t be impossible for a popunlarr sport for a club to be generating $20million plus a year revenue from its game day and customer base. Most clubs at moment would be struggling to hit $7-10mill as either the game/club doesnt have a big enough customer base or they are doing a poor job at engaging them.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let’s stay on the sharks here…

1. They have absolutely done this and are well ahead of some rivals now in regards to diversifying their income. This is why the development took priority over extra stadium upgrades. Non football related acquisitions and more to come have secured the future. Now we can look to smart ground improvements within the realms of reality.

2. People watching on tv (which is where the money comes from ;) ) will love to see shark park full at 15 to 16K, much better than kind full just at the ends in a 25K 200m debt stadium. Can’t have it both ways.

3. NO, because in Sydney it’s not this at all. If you want that outside of Sydney fine but stop forcing Sydney to get to these heights. It’s simply not possible. It’s not NFL. It’s not EPL. It’s rugby league in Aus.
Pretty much every sport in the world that is number 1 code in a decent sized population city is able to be around or above a 20k crowd avg. why shouldnt RL? This is t just a Sydney issue, it’s a whole of game issue. We just arent very good at translating our casual fanbase into rusted on active customers.

I guess to your other points, I’d ask why couldn’t Cronulla draw a crowd avg of 20k if playing in a new 25k stadia? Is it not popualr enough? Is it not in a big enough population region? Is the population too saturated with other sports options? Is 15-16k the max bar the club can ever reach And why? Is RL just not as popaulr as it could or should be in Nsw? I’m genuinely interested as it seems other sports have managed to achieve what I’m suggesting is possible for our sport.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I been googling again…. some slight round ups here based on some population numbers not being current but go with me here…

Town/Popultion/Crowd avg/% of population

Canberra /400,000/14,000/3.5%
Newcastle/330,000/16,000/4.8%
Roosters/290,000/14,000/4.8%
Sharks/230,000/13,000/5.7%

Sharks are doing alright thanks very much.

Pretty much every sport in the world that is number 1 code in a decent sized population city is able to be around or above a 20k crowd avg. why shouldnt RL? This is t just a Sydney issue, it’s a whole of game issue. We just arent very good at translating our casual fanbase into rusted on active customers.
Name another city with a crowded market like Sydney/Brisbane have, though. It’s tough and you’re right, we’re not good at it.

Ozzi_78

First Grade

I guess to your other points, I’d ask why couldn’t Cronulla draw a crowd avg of 20k if playing in a new 25k stadia? Is it not popualr enough? Is it not in a big enough population region? Is the population too saturated with other sports options? Is 15-16k the max bar the club can ever reach And why? Is RL just not as popaulr as it could or should be in Nsw? I’m genuinely interested as it seems other sports have managed to achieve what I’m suggesting is possible for our sport.
You are not being realistic.

Explain to me (with paragraphs if that’s ok) what does every club do to increase their crowds to 20k. You make it sound so easy… please share us your knowledge on engagement to make this happen.

MugaB

Coach

Not to sound completely racist, but sydney is really diverse... to the point where i'd say there 2/5th of the population that are from asian areas that arent interested in any sports, the demographics of sydney comparison to Melbourne or Brisbane is huge, but with Melbourne at least AFL has been ingrained in the city and sharing the one massive stadium, helps all punters to go watch their game, sydney doesn't offer that, the city isn't built central, theyve tried pushing homebush, but there's too much hate between all clubs to see other matches, why would i spend money at homebush to watch souths, dogs or tigers when i follow panthers etc... Melbourne people go to watch a live game, the clubs playing isnt as important as the "Magic round" mentality

Latest posts