What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
Im just wondering if both the current heavy rail line and the metro will be operating at Sydney Olympic Park at the same time or will they eventually close the heavy rail link?

Yes, I believe it will.
Despite the inability of someone else here who has quoted you twice and failed to answer your question, the fact that the current heavy rail link provides access from the SW of Sydney that has no connections to the West Metro will ensure that it remains.

siv

First Grade
I meant getting a train to Olympic park itself
Lots of people have to go to central and change

at least people in the inner west don’t have to go to lidcombe now and change back to get to Olympic park
I wonder if Newcastle trains will starting stopping at North Strathfield?

It's Been Done

Juniors
Im just wondering if both the current heavy rail line and the metro will be operating at Sydney Olympic Park at the same time or will they eventually close the heavy rail link?
It might become a "Major Events Only" line much like the Flemington Racecourse line in Melbourne and Exhibition Station in Brisbane until the Cross River Rail Tunnel opens

Jonno

Juniors
Yes, I believe it will.
Despite the inability of someone else here who has quoted you twice and failed to answer your question, the fact that the current heavy rail link provides access from the SW of Sydney that has no connections to the West Metro will ensure that it remains.
Thank you!
Sydney Olympic Park with the existing railway line,plus the Metro rail line and light rail should make it great for public transport

Timbo

Staff member
Those new light towers at Redcliffe look like the exact same design as the ones on the Sunshine Coast

I thought they were playing at Sunny Coast when they ran out because of those towers.

I hope they can lobby the Queensland government for some of that sweet Olympics money for soccer or Rugby 7s. It’d be a pretty sweet little 20-25k seat ground. They could just play their derby games at Suncorp and play 8 or so home games at Redcliffe.

MugaB

Coach
I thought they were playing at Sunny Coast when they ran out because of those towers.

I hope they can lobby the Queensland government for some of that sweet Olympics money for soccer or Rugby 7s. It’d be a pretty sweet little 20-25k seat ground. They could just play their derby games at Suncorp and play 8 or so home games at Redcliffe.
If they did that, it would open up the debate to have another brisbane side to play morso out of suncorp fulltime too

I meant getting a train to Olympic park itself
Lots of people have to go to central and change

at least people in the inner west don’t have to go to lidcombe now and change back to get to Olympic park

The Sydney rail system is deigned around getting people into and out of the Sydney CBD. Hasn't changed since its inception. If you want to go elsewhere than the Sydney CBD, you often have to change trains - be it at Central, Redfern, Strathfield, Blacktown etc.

The metro line is meant to be an additional line and not to replace the heavy rail line. That metro wouldn't cope if you shut the heavy rail line and then had things like the GF there. I work in the NSW public service and there is nothing being said about closing the Olympic Park line.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Sydney rail system is deigned around getting people into and out of the Sydney CBD. Hasn't changed since its inception. If you want to go elsewhere than the Sydney CBD, you often have to change trains - be it at Central, Redfern, Strathfield, Blacktown etc.
Precisely why adding a heavy rail stop to Allianz wouldn’t increase its public transport utility by much

Getting to Allianz isn’t that difficult anymore thanks to the light rail. Getting home is a different matter when 20k+ are all leaving at the same time. The cue to get onboard the light rail is long, often a crush and basically horrible. When without kids, I choose to walk and stop off in pubs but families don’t tend to go on pub crawls. Heavy rail would be a welcome addition not that I expect it to ever eventuate.
Precisely why adding a heavy rail stop to Allianz wouldn’t increase its public transport utility by much

Wb1234

Referee
Getting to Allianz isn’t that difficult anymore thanks to the light rail. Getting home is a different matter when 20k+ are all leaving at the same time. The cue to get onboard the light rail is long, often a crush and basically horrible. When without kids, I choose to walk and stop off in pubs but families don’t tend to go on pub crawls. Heavy rail would be a welcome addition not that I expect it to ever eventuate.
I did that once in the world cup semi australia vs fiji

got to the ground sloshed made it way more enjoyable

it’s not the worst walk in the world esp for day games

horrie hastings

First Grade

Yep from where i live at St Peters i have got into the SCG/ Allianz in under half an hour ( 27 mins was my best time ) but have found it takes about 30-35 minutes usually with decent connections, that is bus from virtually my front door to St Peters Station then train to Central and onto the light rail. Coming home depending on the timing of the game i either head to Surry Hills for a drink and or dinner or just walk up the hill to Paddington and catch a 352 back towards Newtown.

Do they still run the event buses from Central and Allianz and back for the Roosters games or just rely on people getting on the light rail now. I think when the AFL is on they still run the buses to the SCG besides having the light rail.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds like it needs a monorail lol
I pub crawled up the other side last time we went, up Oxford St, bit of a trek but got some beers in on the way.

Yes its either the Cricketers or the Shakespeare after the games depending on which way i walk. The bathroom at the Cricketers hasn't changed since the 80s :eek:
I sometimes get out at Central’s southern end and go for a few at the Dove and Olive pub. Then walk along the light rail line where there’s a couple of pubs further up the road but it’s a flat walk instead of the steep climb up Foveaux.

It's Been Done

Juniors
Do they still run the event buses from Central and Allianz and back for the Roosters games or just rely on people getting on the light rail now. I think when the AFL is on they still run the buses to the SCG besides having the light rail.
ANAZC Day last year had event buses but I think now they only run if there's a 30k+ crowd expected at either the SCG or Allianz

Latest posts