What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Pjf04b

Juniors
The metro going to St Mary's with no direct link to the 'riff is why I reckon a new stadium is a waste of time.

The North side of Penrith rail is quicker to Parra from Richmond and the redeveloped South will be about ten minutes longer to get to Parra than Penrith

A new stadium is nice and all but build some actual transport to it.
And those that live west of St Mary's, the majority, travel an hour to use somebody else's home ground.
Sounds fair .......... not!!
Get real. Penrith needs its own new 30k stadium.

Munky

Coach
And those that live west of St Mary's, the majority, travel an hour to use somebody else's home ground.

I live in the Blue Mountains.

There's a 20k, 30k and 80k stadium all in my train line.

An hour is f**k all to travel to an event.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Big part of the problem is the scheduling. Alas no one wants to be taking an hour to go home on a Thurs night at 10.15pm. Or trying to get to a stadium an hour away on a Friday at 5pm. Other than those two though yeh, its not unreasonable to travel 30-60min to get to an event every couple of weeks.

Pjf04b

Juniors
It is not the point. Every team has the right to a home ground in their area that is safe and adequate especially when it is around 40k to the next

Timbo

Staff member

OK, well if Penrith has such issues with it, the Panthers can pay for the f**king thing then,

build it and pay for it yourselves?
imagine

problem is theres now what..a few clubs that have brand new tax payer palaces
maybe all the sydney clubs should play at 3 venues
wh's to say. not me

Iamback

Coach

But what classes as an event though?

That is why we need more event venues around the city

Omott91

Juniors
There’s still the deal to keep the grand final which Penrith I’ll get 309 and the rest if rumours are true Newcastle and the gong

state budgets are stretched due to covid and inflation but five years the situation could be totally different eg liberals in power or labor on an infrastructure spend to keep up with booming population

and Penrith can be classed as regional it’s hardly part of Sydney
What are the rumours around Newcastle?

MugaB

Coach
Any suggestion that a new stadium would attract new events to Penrith is wishful thinking at best. There isn't a single international touring event or act that would choose to play out of Penrith over the other options in Sydney.
The point is to stretch out the events, from only 2 nights at the sfs and accor to 3 nights, can be a elton johns or foo fighters concert, whatever the events maybe. Maybe not of the calibre of stars as that but the point is, when we had women world cup a few weeks back penrith could have held some of the group games, had it been a new stadium

Desert Qlder

First Grade
There has been way too many politicians inflate the importance of Penrith, it has sent the residents stupid.

The place is a longdrop.

Timbo

Staff member
The point is to stretch out the events, from only 2 nights at the sfs and accor to 3 nights, can be a elton johns or foo fighters concert, whatever the events maybe. Maybe not of the calibre of stars as that but the point is, when we had women world cup a few weeks back penrith could have held some of the group games, had it been a new stadium

‘Hey Foo Fighters, listen, we know you’ve just sold 50,000 tickets at the Sydney Football Stadium but we were wondering if you could do another gig at a much smaller venue to justify our ridiculous overspending on a suburban football ground? Sorry what was that? f**k who? Oh, f**k me. Right, that’s what I thought you said.’

The Great Dane

First Grade
No major touring act is going to deconstruct their stage and relocate across the city for an extra show when it'd be significantly cheaper and easier to simply rent the first venue out for another night. It's simply not how the industry works.

FIFA has rules about how many stadiums in each city can host during their events, but maybe they do pick Penrith over Parra or Allianz, but A. that's not attracting a new event it's splitting it over more venues which impacts the commercial viability of all of them, and B. those sorts of events aren't regular and Penrith would need multiple major events yearly to make the stadium viable, which simply isn't realistic considering the other options in the city.

A major upgrade of Penrith would be a white elephant and a massive waste of public resources.

Munky

Coach
The reason multiple shows on a tour are done at the same venue is that it absorbs the ridiculous cost of setting, tearing down and transporting the stage.

You don't pay that cost to go 50km down the road. It's not Mick and Gazza throwing the JCM 800 and drum kit in the 1995 Hi Ace to play Penrith RSL after the Bridge Hotel the night before.