What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Vee

First Grade
I have a relative who was one of the last venue managers of the old SFS. He said it was a death trap in terms of emergency access and egress, and they had been told by the emergency services that after the existing safety certificate it would not be extended.

Now he retired before the decision was made to knock it down and rebuild it, so I have no idea how much it would have cost to fix that, but I imagine it couldn't have been cheap. In addition to re-locating the corporate seats to the sidelines, probably would have been fairly expensive.

My question about the SFS remains why did it have to be a 45,000 seat stadium. A 30,000 seat club stadium would have been perfect for the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Waratahs and Sydney FC. It also would have been fine for most Socceroos games and non-Bledisloe or Lions Wallabies tests. Concerts would have the ability to use the SCG and Accor if they needed the larger capacity, but there are a number of 30,000 seat stadiums that are designed with a modular end area for a stage that allow them to hold 40-50,000 for concerts.

Once they decided they weren't building a 65,000 seat stadium at Moore Park and sell off Homebush and demolish it like Baird wanted to do, I don't know why the SFS wasn't designed as something more boutique, but with the flexibility to hold more for concerts.
Because SCG Trust, NSW Government...

I have a relative who was one of the last venue managers of the old SFS. He said it was a death trap in terms of emergency access and egress, and they had been told by the emergency services that after the existing safety certificate it would not be extended.

Now he retired before the decision was made to knock it down and rebuild it, so I have no idea how much it would have cost to fix that, but I imagine it couldn't have been cheap. In addition to re-locating the corporate seats to the sidelines, probably would have been fairly expensive.

My question about the SFS remains why did it have to be a 45,000 seat stadium. A 30,000 seat club stadium would have been perfect for the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Waratahs and Sydney FC. It also would have been fine for most Socceroos games and non-Bledisloe or Lions Wallabies tests. Concerts would have the ability to use the SCG and Accor if they needed the larger capacity, but there are a number of 30,000 seat stadiums that are designed with a modular end area for a stage that allow them to hold 40-50,000 for concerts.

Once they decided they weren't building a 65,000 seat stadium at Moore Park and sell off Homebush and demolish it like Baird wanted to do, I don't know why the SFS wasn't designed as something more boutique, but with the flexibility to hold more for concerts.

Timbo, Mike Baird never wanted to build a 65k seat stadium at Moore Park and sell off Homebush. Stuart Ayres was the one who kept pushing for the 65k seat stadium on Lake Kippax idea. Baird was so against it, he took over the Stadium process himself and moved Ayres out of the Sports ministry. Baird in fact was committed to a proper refurbishment of what is now Accor Stadium.

The SFS re-build only came about, with money re-directed away from Olympic Park when Baird went and Gladys Berejiklian became Premier. Gladys moved Ayres back to the Sports Ministry and let him do much of what he wanted.

Wb1234

Referee

The Parramatta Eels are one step closer to calling north west Sydney home after winning approval to kick off constructing the final stage of the club’s $53 million Centre of Excellence and Community Facility at Kellyville.

In January, the Hills Shire Council ushered through the approval to begin constructing a 6000 sqm high-performance Centre of Excellence at Kellyville Park, the crown jewel of the State Significant Development.

The Centre of Excellence will house world-class training and administration facilities for the Parramatta Eels’ NRL and NRLW teams and pathways athletes – including gyms, lecture theatre, review rooms, aquatic rehabilitation facilities and a cafe.

It will also feature a boardroom and meeting rooms and new female change rooms, as well as 40-space car park that increases the total number of on-site parking spaces to 330.

Once the project is completed Kellyville Park will be the largest community rugby league precinct in Australia, which will be “focused strongly on driving engagement between the Parramatta Eels and the wider community”.

“It will be one of the only elite training and match venues in Australia that will also include facilities for multiple community sports clubs, allowing grassroots participants to train and play within the same precinct as their sporting heroes,” the club said of the project.

The Centre of Excellence will stand beside a multipurpose community facility, which features a function and education rooms, match day media rooms, and 1500-seat grandstand.

The project was first announced in 2019 and has been jointly funded by the NSW and Federal governments, The Hills Shire Council and Parramatta Leagues Club.

Liberal federal Liberal MP Alex Hawke secured $15 million worth of federal government funding for the project, and claimed it as the largest federal government commitment The Hills had ever seen.

Mr Hawke said that the “lack of sporting social infrastructure” in The Hills was “the number one issue for families in our electorate”.

Construction of this final stage is set to be completed by 2025.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Timbo, Mike Baird never wanted to build a 65k seat stadium at Moore Park and sell off Homebush. Stuart Ayres was the one who kept pushing for the 65k seat stadium on Lake Kippax idea. Baird was so against it, he took over the Stadium process himself and moved Ayres out of the Sports ministry. Baird in fact was committed to a proper refurbishment of what is now Accor Stadium.

The SFS re-build only came about, with money re-directed away from Olympic Park when Baird went and Gladys Berejiklian became Premier. Gladys moved Ayres back to the Sports Ministry and let him do much of what he wanted.
I remember that now. The plans under Baird seemed fine and sensible but then it turned into Ayres vanity/legacy project

Timbo

Staff member
Forgive me, I had my politicians backwards.

The point remains - it would have been possible to build the trust a smaller, cheaper stadium that still would have been able to host the big-ticket items they wanted to like concerts by incorporating modular features at one end. It also would have been significantly cheaper to maintain, and they could have even charged a premium for memberships should they have wished.

shewi6

Juniors
Forgive me, I had my politicians backwards.

The point remains - it would have been possible to build the trust a smaller, cheaper stadium that still would have been able to host the big-ticket items they wanted to like concerts by incorporating modular features at one end. It also would have been significantly cheaper to maintain, and they could have even charged a premium for memberships should they have wished.
I don't think any stadium knock down and rebuild would have been possible after spending what would have been a billion dollars imo that fixing homebush would have cost when you account for the inevitable cost over runs on such a big project.

There was barely enough political capital to do homebush as it was a fairly young stadium, even though it was more important to fix and make a proper world class high capacity rectangle stadium and the benefits for rugby league would have been higher and wider ranging. Although I believe the sfs would have had to of been done rather quickly too in this scenario as it was too old and unfit for purpose.

This is why the powerful and politically connected scg trust hijacked the whole process to get the sfs done first and had it gold plated probably knowing the taxpayers wouldn't stand for homebush getting done after, a media campaign and covid really sealed the fate of it later on.

shewi6

Juniors
Looks like the Gabba isn’t getting knocked down and rebuilt, just a face lift.hopefully the savings can go towards other rectangle venues along with hospitals, police and other things that benefit the community, not AFL
Nice, has there been a press release or report recently?

Iamback

Coach

The Parramatta Eels are one step closer to calling north west Sydney home after winning approval to kick off constructing the final stage of the club’s $53 million Centre of Excellence and Community Facility at Kellyville.

In January, the Hills Shire Council ushered through the approval to begin constructing a 6000 sqm high-performance Centre of Excellence at Kellyville Park, the crown jewel of the State Significant Development.

The Centre of Excellence will house world-class training and administration facilities for the Parramatta Eels’ NRL and NRLW teams and pathways athletes – including gyms, lecture theatre, review rooms, aquatic rehabilitation facilities and a cafe.

It will also feature a boardroom and meeting rooms and new female change rooms, as well as 40-space car park that increases the total number of on-site parking spaces to 330.

Once the project is completed Kellyville Park will be the largest community rugby league precinct in Australia, which will be “focused strongly on driving engagement between the Parramatta Eels and the wider community”.

“It will be one of the only elite training and match venues in Australia that will also include facilities for multiple community sports clubs, allowing grassroots participants to train and play within the same precinct as their sporting heroes,” the club said of the project.

The Centre of Excellence will stand beside a multipurpose community facility, which features a function and education rooms, match day media rooms, and 1500-seat grandstand.

The project was first announced in 2019 and has been jointly funded by the NSW and Federal governments, The Hills Shire Council and Parramatta Leagues Club.

Liberal federal Liberal MP Alex Hawke secured $15 million worth of federal government funding for the project, and claimed it as the largest federal government commitment The Hills had ever seen.

Mr Hawke said that the “lack of sporting social infrastructure” in The Hills was “the number one issue for families in our electorate”.

Construction of this final stage is set to be completed by 2025.

Centre of Excellence...

Brad Arthur must not be coaching in 2025

jpw2511

Juniors
Looks like the Gabba isn’t getting knocked down and rebuilt, just a face lift.hopefully the savings can go towards other rectangle venues along with hospitals, police and other things that benefit the community, not AFL
Lol that's not how government funding works flog. Not surprised your confused though supporting NRL I suppose.

mongoose

Coach
cost of living is out of control, especially rent... spending that much of a new stadium would be political suicide right now

Desert Qlder

First Grade

The shock new location for Canberra Stadium​

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr's preference is for a new $500 million, 30,000-seat stadium to be built on a new site in what's being dubbed the Bruce sports, health and education precinct - rather than look to rebuild the existing stadium where it is

Paywall on this...anyone from ACT got further detail?

That Chief Minister comes across as a prize tosser.

Brick Tamland

Juniors
https://the-riotact.com/early-fundi...ent-imminent-on-future-of-ais-precinct/742394

UPDATED: Barr reveals site preference for new Bruce stadium with announcement imminent on future of AIS precinct​

7 February 2024 | Ian Bushnell

The chances of a new 30,000-seat stadium at Bruce but built on a new site are firming for the Territory after the ACT Government announced funding for preliminary work ahead of an imminent announcement from the Commonwealth on the future of the Australian Institute of Sport precinct.
The stadium is one of three “once in 50-year” infrastructure projects to benefit from the ACT Budget Review, with Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC) and a new Convention Centre Precinct also receiving funding.
The government says the $760,000 stadium funding will go towards technical due diligence for a new rectangular facility in Bruce to replace the ageing Canberra Stadium as part of an expanded sports, health and education precinct, linking investments in the AIS precinct, CIT Bruce, University of Canberra and the Northside Hospital.
The ACT will be looking to the Commonwealth to co-fund the project, which is expected to cost more than $500 million.

Chief Minister Andrew Barr told Region just last week that the government would soon know more about the future of the AIS precinct.
“We’re looking forward to some announcements from the Commonwealth in the not-too-distant future in relation to some of their land holdings in the precinct, and we’ll have more to say, obviously, once they’ve made their intentions clear,” Mr Barr said.
Under last year’s Memorandum of Understanding, the Australian Sports Commission and the ACT were to investigate three stadium options:
  • A new build on a different site in the precinct that would enable the current stadium to operate while the new stadium is being built
  • Demolition of the existing stadium and the construction of a new stadium on the same site
  • Staged, significant upgrades to the existing stadium.
Mr Barr said on Wednesday that the preferred option was to build on a different site and the stadium team had investigated 11 possible locations within the Bruce precinct.
He said the emerging preference was for a site closer to the public transport corridor and the University of Canberra and CIT on the corner of Haydon Drive and Battye Street, where there was already an oval.
The Albanese Government launched an independent review of the AIS last year to consider the “optimal location” for the AIS in the context of the 2032 Brisbane Olympics and the proposed “revitalisation” of the existing campus.
That review was due to be handed to the government by the end of 2023.
Mr Barr was confident from his dealings with the reviewers that the AIS would remain in Canberra. But even if it didn’t the precinct would still need renewal, including a new stadium.
He also said the ACT would be due compensation if it lost a critical national sporting asset like the AIS.
Last year, he ruled out a stadium in the city centre, specifically on the Civic pool site, saying the cost and difficulty of siting it there was prohibitive.

At EPIC, $380,000 will support design work for Stage 1 of its redevelopment will include a new large multipurpose exhibition hall to accommodate larger exhibitions, gala sit-down dinners for thousands, and multiple large-scale community-based events.
The first stage will also include new intersections and a new public entrance.
The government says the redevelopment will allow existing events to grow and multiple events to be held concurrently.

The Fitzroy Pavilion will also be refurbished. A total of $4.6 million has been allocated so it can be converted into a promised versatile event space to meet the immediate demand for large-scale community and multicultural events in Canberra.
Design work worth $760,000 will also commence for the long-called-for new Convention Centre Precinct in Canberra’s city centre, including new convention facilities and a 7500-seat indoor Entertainment Pavilion suitable for live music and major indoor sporting events.
It will probably be built on the former Australian Forum site adjacent to City Hill, which has been earmarked for such a development.
Mr Barr said the government’s plan was to deliver projects like a new stadium and a new convention centre as part of broader precincts that will encourage increased economic activity and new jobs by attracting major business conferences and events.
“The refurbishment of Fitzroy Pavilion is part of the government’s longer-term plan to redevelop EPIC, with the Budget Review also allowing us to continue to progress planning for a new large-scale multipurpose facility on the site,” he said
Opposition Leader Elizabeth Lee said Mr Barr was simply rehashing announcements for an election year and had not delivered on infrastructure.
Ms Lee said the Canberra Liberals were looking at a city location for a new stadium and would have more to say on that soon.
She said the refurbishment of Fitzroy Pavilion was not what Canberra’s multicultural community had wanted.

Timbo

Staff member
This is about the tenth time he’s made an ‘announcement’ on this.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Latest posts