What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

big hit!

Bench
The Braves were also able to contribute $372 million of their own funds to build the new stadium. The Redskins also have a shitload of money so they are able to do that - Carolina Panthers made a $112 million profit in 2012 so you can only imagine how much the Redskins make

Until we have that sort of money available in Rugby League those comparisons are pointless.

well, our sports should stop trying to be like those in the US, Germany & the UK where the population is at least twice the size of ours for a start. furthermore, only half our country may have an interest in rugby league, and then cut that down again by half for those that actually do give a shit. so realistically, you may have 4m at best who have an active interest that is convertable to bums on seats and $$$ for the NRL. Yet they try and be a League with a pool of 40m.

so why the push to rationalise into 80k & 40k stadiums when in reality, our league at best is 20k average league. if there's just one game that is a sellout, you have flogs like Rothfield pushing ground rationalisation so 95% of matches are played in qtr full generic stadiums. f**king idiots.

Check out the AFL model and how teams playing out so few stadiums can't break even until they get 25k. Adelaide and Port Adelaide had home averages in excess of 40k and both made losses. ridiculous. they all just wait for the League div just to try and get their heads above water.

the Game and its clubs has historically been run by ex-players who had no idea how to steadily build wealth and re-invest in facilities of 20k. I don't see the sky falling in the EPL where most clubs play out of 20-40k stadiums that sell out every week. It drives interest, it drives memberships, and it drives broadcast rights.

Last edited:

ek999

First Grade
So the plan is to move the north and south ends in closer? How many seats does that actually improve? And who likes to watch rugby league from behind the posts?

Looks like the sides will be able to be pushed in too. That only helps the lower bowl though, everything above that will still be the same.

Brutus

Referee
Absolute garbage. Knock the f**king thing down and build a truly world class rectangular 75k stadium. Think Ellis Park in South Africa.

Those horribly slanted stands at ANZ will never work. Needs to be like Suncorp. Tell the AFL to f**k off and play out of the other stadiums the government helped upgrade or build for them. Swans = SCG and the other mob = Sydney Showground and whatever other ground the government piled money into for them.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
See the problem with all that you just wrote is that it is a personal opinion. You don't like Brookvale but other love it. That person who loves it could just as easily say to you that it's nonsense that having to stand on the hill would be a reason for people not attending games, when we both know that it is.

You are trying to pass off your personal opinion as gospel. You also like to pass yourself off as a superior fan to others which people may find condescending.

Spot on. I hate ANZ for watching footy. You put up with it for the big games as you have to be at SOO, GF's etc. That may explain the lack of crowds for ordinary games. A cold wet Monday night in June just isn't a must see

Give me any other NRL ground over that piece of shit. Even Brookie you can see the game on the field sure you stand in mud but can see the game. ANZ you spend more time watching the screen so you are better off staying home and watching it

forby

Juniors
"Then, give an extra 100 million to the true western Sydney Stadium at Parra - the one that is going to benefit the community the most. Turn it into a 35000 seater."

What a load of garbage. Why waste a bucket load of money on a stadium that has outgrown itself in its location. If the tenants want a bigger stadium in the area move to Homebush.

Western Sydney isnt Parramatta any more. It is nearly the inner west now. The new stadium should be in an area in the west, not the inner west or south west.

Yes there is life west of Parramatta and it is perhaps the fastest growing area in Australia - Penrith! After decades of neglect it is about time the area got the facilities it desrves.

And this obsession with enclosed roofs for both Stadium Oz and the SFS is ridiculous. f**k that off from any renovation discussions right now, particularly for SFS. It doesn't need it. No football stadium needs it unless it's located in Anchorage or Siberia.

Sorry but on that point I will disagree with you. If it rains, less than 30% of the seats at the SFS are undercover. If you think inclement weather does not turn people off from going to a game where they know they will be sitting in the rain then you are dreaming. Last year the Roosters had more home games effected by rain than in the previous 2 seasons combined.

shiznit

Coach
On a slightly different tangent.... Am I they only one who thinks football shouldn't be played under a roof??

I enjoy a fast open game... But I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of artificially setting the match conditions. I don't mind keeping it closed pre game... But IMO it should be opened up as soon as the game starts.

There's an artform to playing wet weather football... Some teams are better at it than others....

It would almost be like if a team that's really, really good in the wet decided to add rooftop sprinklers to create artificial rain in order to suit there style...

There would be an uproar if that happened...

franklin2323

Immortal
"Then, give an extra 100 million to the true western Sydney Stadium at Parra - the one that is going to benefit the community the most. Turn it into a 35000 seater."

What a load of garbage. Why waste a bucket load of money on a stadium that has outgrown itself in its location. If the tenants want a bigger stadium in the area move to Homebush.

Western Sydney isnt Parramatta any more. It is nearly the inner west now. The new stadium should be in an area in the west, not the inner west or south west.

Yes there is life west of Parramatta and it is perhaps the fastest growing area in Australia - Penrith! After decades of neglect it is about time the area got the facilities it desrves.

The thing with Parra's upgrade. Transport won't match little to no parking atm. Roads are crazy now with 18k. Double that on say a Friday night.

big hit!

Bench
Sorry but on that point I will disagree with you. If it rains, less than 30% of the seats at the SFS are undercover. If you think inclement weather does not turn people off from going to a game where they know they will be sitting in the rain then you are dreaming. Last year the Roosters had more home games effected by rain than in the previous 2 seasons combined.

Folks won't go out if its raining at all unless they have to, e.g work. Go to a normally heaving pub on a rainy saturday night or anywhere for that matter.

Sydney siders are f**king soft. The cost of a roof at both SFS and Stadium Oz could redevelop Brookie, Penrith & Woolooware into modern 15-20k venues, as well as improving the SFS in other areas of more value.

And with Stadium Oz, its akin to putting lipstick on a pig. The majority of patrons will still be watching play on the screens, the venue is still in a generic wasteland with absolutely nothing to offer pre and post game, and the whole proposal is to benefit the management of the stadium rather than the metropolitan and state itself.

The main thing that Parra has going for it as a stadium location is that it already has tenants all year round between the Eels and the WSW. If we can take away nothing else from the State Governments discussions on Stadiums of late, its that they don't want to build/invest in stadiums that aren't regularly used.

franklin2323

Immortal
The main thing that Parra has going for it as a stadium location is that it already has tenants all year round between the Eels and the WSW. If we can take away nothing else from the State Governments discussions on Stadiums of late, its that they don't want to build/invest in stadiums that aren't regularly used.

Yeah but it's a suburban ground. It's not possible to get the 35k in and out as freely as you need to

I actually like the ANZ plan. The pitch will obviously be dropped for the decreased surface area thus increasing the gradient of the stands. Its not hoe far back you are thst is generally the problem, its the low angle.

Delboy

First Grade
Yeah but it's a suburban ground. It's not possible to get the 35k in and out as freely as you need to

,Starnge. Moment, I have been a STH since 1986, and when we regularly had crowds of 25k in the first couple of seasons, the cross were moved in very respectable time.

Not sure if this doesn't suit your argument, but the idea is to improve the light rail etc., the walk from Parramatta station is only 10 minutes. The Parramatta stadium upgrade is actually the most sensible and efficient use of govt funds as it is a 12 month use stadium , with 2 sets of passionate fans

thorson1987

Coach
On a slightly different tangent.... Am I they only one who thinks football shouldn't be played under a roof??

I enjoy a fast open game... But I've always been uncomfortable with the idea of artificially setting the match conditions. I don't mind keeping it closed pre game... But IMO it should be opened up as soon as the game starts.

There's an artform to playing wet weather football... Some teams are better at it than others....

It would almost be like if a team that's really, really good in the wet decided to add rooftop sprinklers to create artificial rain in order to suit there style...

Agreed. By all means extend the roofing to cover most if not all seats.

But f**k off with having one over the pitch.

fourplay

Juniors

Yes, it's an artform, and every team has perfected the artform.. and that is to play dour, risk free footy. Sure, some teams are better at not taking risks and playing one out footy, but it's not as exciting as footy played on a fast and dry field.

With so many night games, and almost every night game being playing in dewy conditions, a roof like the one we saw in the Four Nations would work great.

big hit!

Bench
Yes, it's an artform, and every team has perfected the artform.. and that is to play dour, risk free footy. Sure, some teams are better at not taking risks and playing one out footy, but it's not as exciting as footy played on a fast and dry field.

With so many night games, and almost every night game being playing in dewy conditions, a roof like the one we saw in the Four Nations would work great.

If the broadcasters want night games, then they can pony up the half a billion $$$ for roofs so the game looks good in dewy conditions. That money can go to much better and worthwhile causes than 2 roofs on 2 football stadiums. What a joke.

NFL - 13 to 16 matches a week. Only 3 of these start at night.
EPL - 10 matches per week. Only 1 or 2 of these start at night.

NRL need to grow some balls and give the game back to the people rather than pander to the broadcasters.

JonnoM

Juniors
Its fantastic!
Ok,its not a rebuilt 70,000 seat true RL venue,but it was never going to be.
80,000 seats with a good rectangular configuration ,retractable roof looks good to me.

Now ,if we look into the NSW Stadia Strategy,then Allianz will also be on the list for a a revamp.
Personally,this is the stadium that should be pulled down.Rebuild a 50,000 seat venue at Moore Park,and this will be a great addition to what is proposed at Homebush.
Thirdly,a Tier 3 venue is suggested for Western Sydney.This now must be Parramatta and seat 35,000.Again,a full rebuild is a must.

Homebush-80,000 redeveloped (Tier 1)
Moore Park -50,000 New Stadium Tier 1)
Parramatta -35,000 New Stadium (Tier 2)

This all fits in to the proposed strategy suggested by the NSW government

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem with redeveloping Parra is the parochial nature of clubs means that no one but the eels will play there. At least if they built a new stadium it would be neutral and we could see Bulldogs, Eels and Tigers playing out of it. With Western Sydney and occasional Warratards games it would more than pay for itself. Leave ANZ for the Sunday afternoon Sydney blockbuster game and big events like SOO and Finals. If Twickers and Wembley can sit empty most of year and still be viable no reason ANZ cant. Out of interest can the Govt close Parra stadium and sell the land off or is their a title on it that requires agreement of Parra club?

Souths, St's (5 games) and Roosters out of roofed Allianz with the Friday night Sydney blockbuster played there every week.

Manly, Cronulla and Penrith will just have to live with poor facilities or find some way to redevelop a seat at a time.