What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

DC_fan

Coach
It's not like any trains go to central. How could people get to the city?

For most fans coming from the western suburbs the extra travelling time on the train to central then either waiting for a bus to Allianz or walking to the stadium can make a huge difference. Then you have to think of the return trip after the game.

You get off a train at Olympic Park then 5 to 10 mins later you are in your seat in the stadium. You can't say that if you are going to Allianz.

cleary89

Coach
For most fans coming from the western suburbs the extra travelling time on the train to central then either waiting for a bus to Allianz or walking to the stadium can make a huge difference. Then you have to think of the return trip after the game.

You get off a train at Olympic Park then 5 to 10 mins later you are in your seat in the stadium. You can't say that if you are going to Allianz.

Do they even do direct to olympic park? Every time I've been you have to get off at lidcombe, change platforms then walk all the way up to the end for the train that goes to olympic park. Probably 15 minutes from the time you get off the train to the time you get to olympic park.

Not much difference between that then staying on the train to central.

Then again, you will have to wait for the light rail when that's done.

Timbo

Staff member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRG_Stadium

That's what I'd like to see at Moore Park - 71,000 seats, retractable roof, gradient steep as the north face of Mount Everest.

With the light rail connecting it to central, the transport links are fine and it has the advantage of not being in a post-apocalyptic wasteland like Homebush.

Over to you Mike Baird.

fourplay

Juniors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRG_Stadium

That's what I'd like to see at Moore Park - 71,000 seats, retractable roof, gradient steep as the north face of Mount Everest.

With the light rail connecting it to central, the transport links are fine and it has the advantage of not being in a post-apocalyptic wasteland like Homebush.

Over to you Mike Baird.

That stadium looks amazing. I think if you had something like that for ANZ you'd just about double the average crowd!

Perth Red

Post Whore
nonsense, people are not not going to ANZ due to the incline of the seats! poor scheduling, sydney sports apathy, too many clubs for not enough fans and ticket price/lack of value for money are the main reasons.

Billythekid

First Grade
People are always listing awesome stadiums that they think would be perfect but in the end it's kind of irrelevant. There are dozens of stadiums around the world which would be f**king incredible to have in Sydney and i've got no doubt they could help with crowds to a certain extent.

Problem is they're not just going to knock down ANZ to build a new stadium. It's nice to wish for these things but it's just not happening.

unforgiven

Bench
nonsense, people are not not going to ANZ due to the incline of the seats! poor scheduling, sydney sports apathy, too many clubs for not enough fans and ticket price/lack of value for money are the main reasons.

You are right that those are all reasons for poor attendance at ANZ but you must be kidding that you do not think the incline of the seating keeps some people away.

You can not tell me that with all the time you spend in these types of threads that you have never seen someone complain that ANZ is a terrible place to watch the football. The major reason for this complaint is the lack of incline of the seating which makes people feel further away from the action.

Timbo

Staff member
People are always listing awesome stadiums that they think would be perfect but in the end it's kind of irrelevant. There are dozens of stadiums around the world which would be f**king incredible to have in Sydney and i've got no doubt they could help with crowds to a certain extent.

Problem is they're not just going to knock down ANZ to build a new stadium. It's nice to wish for these things but it's just not happening.

I dunno, it's not without precedent globally. The Atlanta Braves are abandoning their stadium, which was the 1996 Olympic venue, largely due to its location. The Washington Redskins are leaving their 90,000 seat, 17 year old stadium as well - for many of the reasons that ANZ sucks (fan amenties and location).

Just because a stadium is new-ish doesn't mean it should survive rationalisation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are right that those are all reasons for poor attendance at ANZ but you must be kidding that you do not think the incline of the seating keeps some people away.

You can not tell me that with all the time you spend in these types of threads that you have never seen someone complain that ANZ is a terrible place to watch the football. The major reason for this complaint is the lack of incline of the seating which makes people feel further away from the action.

I've been to anz quite a few times. Sure the pitch is pretty shallow but given there are usually 60k empty seats it isn't hard to find a good one! Would the fact the seats are a few degrees lower than ideal stop me going to suppport my team every week? hell no. Standing on a grass hill at brookvale maybe but no way anz would stop me following my team week in week out.

re Allianz likewise it isnt that hard to get to and if your not with kids it has a good pub crawl there then free buses back to central. Only took a few minutes to get on the bus and be at central last time I was there.

Then again I have driven across the pennines in fog and snow to watch my team in my youth so have to smile at the "hardship" endured by RL fans in Sydney.

unforgiven

Bench
I've been to anz quite a few times. Sure the pitch is pretty shallow but given there are usually 60k empty seats it isn't hard to find a good one! Would the fact the seats are a few degrees lower than ideal stop me going to suppport my team every week? hell no. Standing on a grass hill at brookvale maybe but no way anz would stop me following my team week in week out.

re Allianz likewise it isnt that hard to get to and if your not with kids it has a good pub crawl there then free buses back to central. Only took a few minutes to get on the bus and be at central last time I was there.

Then again I have driven across the pennines in fog and snow to watch my team in my youth so have to smile at the "hardship" endured by RL fans in Sydney.

See the problem with all that you just wrote is that it is a personal opinion. You don't like Brookvale but other love it. That person who loves it could just as easily say to you that it's nonsense that having to stand on the hill would be a reason for people not attending games, when we both know that it is.

You are trying to pass off your personal opinion as gospel. You also like to pass yourself off as a superior fan to others which people may find condescending.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking at avg crowds at Brookvale more think like me than against me! I offer my opinion, take it or leave it, means little to me.

unforgiven

Bench
Looking at avg crowds at Brookvale more think like me than against me! I offer my opinion, take it or leave it, means little to me.

I actually agree with you in the most part, but you often try to portray your opinion as being absolute.

Lastly if we are trying to determine if more people think like you than against you, looking at Brookvale crowd averages is much too simplistic because that figure doesn't give you how many potential attendies decided not to go because of the inadequate facilities. You will really need to do a comparison of the Manly playing a home game at a different ground to determine that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I actually agree with you in the most part, but you often try to portray your opinion as being absolute.

Lastly if we are trying to determine if more people think like you than against you, looking at Brookvale crowd averages is much too simplistic because that figure doesn't give you how many potential attendies decided not to go because of the inadequate facilities. You will really need to do a comparison of the Manly playing a home game at a different ground to determine that.

Manly got 20k in Perth at Subiaco oval, Manly fans prefer AFL stadiums. :D

big hit!

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...126339600?nk=54add33055c8a5884b32f3f81580b2b1

What a waste of f**king money.
Rip the place down and spend the cash on a new rectangular stadium.
Tell the AFL to f**k off back to the SCG.
Then, give an extra 100 million to the true western Sydney Stadium at Parra - the one that is going to benefit the community the most. Turn it into a 35000 seater.

Agree.

What a f**king waste of money.

Stadium Oz will always be a dump because the eastern and Western grandstands are set too far back from the playing arena for all sports. You can push the first few rows as close as possible to the arena, but the underlying issue remains.

And this obsession with enclosed roofs for both Stadium Oz and the SFS is ridiculous. f**k that off from any renovation discussions right now, particularly for SFS. It doesn't need it. No football stadium needs it unless it's located in Anchorage or Siberia.

SFS needs better access in and out of the ground. I'm a Sydney FC member and anything over 20k (which is standard for the Sky Blues now) is a joke with virtually narrow lane ways funnelling patrons in and out if the ground due to the admin buildings for the Waratahs, Rugby League Central, etc in front of the ground. Ground staff will even direct you towards the SCG from the eastern stand which means you have to walk behind the SCG members and through the trust grounds, then back up driver avenue to Moore Park Rd.

And mobile turnstiles that you can get out of the way to give even greater access to exiting patrons. A stadium like the Bernabeau in Madrid clears 80k in 5 mins. Our venues struggle with 10k.

juro

Bench
So the plan is to move the north and south ends in closer? How many seats does that actually improve? And who likes to watch rugby league from behind the posts?

ek999

First Grade
I dunno, it's not without precedent globally. The Atlanta Braves are abandoning their stadium, which was the 1996 Olympic venue, largely due to its location. The Washington Redskins are leaving their 90,000 seat, 17 year old stadium as well - for many of the reasons that ANZ sucks (fan amenties and location).

Just because a stadium is new-ish doesn't mean it should survive rationalisation.

The Braves were also able to contribute $372 million of their own funds to build the new stadium. The Redskins also have a shitload of money so they are able to do that - Carolina Panthers made a $112 million profit in 2012 so you can only imagine how much the Redskins make

Until we have that sort of money available in Rugby League those comparisons are pointless.

Latest posts