What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

The thing about suncorp is, Milton train station is a 5 minute walk from the stadium. You can get to suncorp stadium from any suburb of Brisbane in under 40 minutes, maybe 50 minutes from Ipswich. Suncorp is in the perfect location for public transport. How a stadium can not be near a train station just boggles the mind.

Billythekid

First Grade
Good price if they can build it for $186mill. Good to see the NRL putting in and hopefully spin off will be cheap rent unlike the other qland clubs are having to pay.

The NRL really need to push for this. We're finally in a position where we can help fund the stadium and i feel like our bargaining power is pretty high right now. This could make a huge difference to the cowboys future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
cowboys should save there money . nothing wrong with there stadium now

You been? Looking at pics it looks very much like nib used to with its scaffold stands. One time I said it was ok but now having got the new stands it has transformed the place. This will be even better for the cowboys. Better corporate facilities to sell, better views a pond cover for fans, bigger capacity what's not to like?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
spend the money on juniors

3rnvk6.jpg

GAZF

First Grade
You been? Looking at pics it looks very much like nib used to with its scaffold stands. One time I said it was ok but now having got the new stands it has transformed the place. This will be even better for the cowboys. Better corporate facilities to sell, better views a pond cover for fans, bigger capacity what's not to like?

And its not in the middle of the suburbs. Was surprised how far out of town the stadium actually was.

beave

Coach
Its not scaffolding, the structure has to be able to withstand a cylcone but it is kinda unsightly from underneath. Look the views are good everywhere except from the hills. The corporate facilties and toilets are woefully inadequate. The ground was a trotting track originally so it was always a hand me down that has had band aid patches to keep it relevant over the last 20 years. I would love nothing more than this new stadium to be built AND the QLD gov to stay out of the way when it comes to management and running of the stadium, hence why i think this is why the NRL want to chip in $10mil to retain management rights like the afl did with the suns.

Look i will always have a soft spot for DFS/1300, i grew up 5 mins away from it and went to school next door at Ryan, but we need a new stadium in the CBD and I an all for this new one.

pHyR3

Juniors
Further good news to put pressure on the State Govt for a stadium upgrade at Parramatta........

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a...01-10b2tb.html

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6098303910b3w61409571476898.jpg-620x349.jpg
Western Sydney Wanderers fans show their fervour during a match at Pirtek Stadium earlier this year. Photo: Brendan Esposito

Article%20Lead%20-%20narrow6098303910b6hp1409571476788.jpg-300x0.jpg

interesting that the tigers are converting about 75% of their members into season ticket holders, given they only got like 10k members in 2014 IIRC.

whereas clubs like the bulldogs (50%) and eels (60%) are well below that. Which means theyve got a lot more non-ticketed and 3-4 game members.

forby

Juniors
Move to Homebush - 10 minutes away, rather than waste money on Parramatta Stadium!
Besides, where do these figures come from - Parramatta/WSW?

hutch

First Grade
It's impressive that 75% of people who buy giants season tickets don't actually attend the games!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...123591373?nk=fe983f0c0557a00f3418e0abc8c4df8f

Future of Sydney’s ANZ Stadium under threat as big-money sports war heats up

John Lehmann Editor at Large
The Daily Telegraph
November 15, 2014 12:00AM

The future of Sydney’s Olympic stadium hangs in the balance, with powerbrokers launching a battle to decide where the city watches live sport for decades to come.

The powers behind Moore Park’s Allianz Stadium, soccer supremo Frank Lowy and western Sydney sports bosses are intensifying their lobbying in a move which could have grave consequences for Sydney Olympic Park’s ANZ Stadium.

ANZ Stadium is expected to soon reveal the details of its ambitious $350 million plan to modernise Sydney’s biggest sports venue.

Allianz, controlled by the government-appointed Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust, has also unveiled a $250 million master plan to transform the out-of-date 44,000 seat stadium into a hi-tech, fully-roofed entertainment facility.

Sport Minister Stuart Ayres is committed to pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into giving Sydney’s stadiums a much-needed upgrade.

But as Premier Mike Baird finalises where to invest, some of Sydney’s biggest names are deciding how best to tip the pot of gold their way.

The Trust is directed by a host of influential business operators, including its chairman Tony Shepherd, “Mr Olympics” Rod McGeoch, Destination NSW chairman and ex-News Ltd boss John Hartigan, top broadcaster Alan Jones and retail guru Katie Page.

The government is also feeling the squeeze from Lowy, one of Australia’s richest men, who is backing a push by Western Wanderers’ owner, Paul Lederer, to have a new Parramatta Stadium developed with at least 32,000 seats.

With Ayres being a Penrith boy, he wants to make sure the west doesn’t miss out and believes a modern stadium will be required to support population growth west of the M7.

The Penrith Panthers, driven by league heavy Phil Gould and ex-TAB chief Warren Wilson, have spied an opportunity to transform the 22,500 council-owned Penrith Stadium into a 30,000 seat venue.

Meanwhile, NRL boss Dave Smith has hardly been a vocal supporter of ANZ, while the Swans are almost certain to move games back to the SCG beyond 2016.

All of this spells danger for the future of Homebush’s 83,500-seat ANZ Stadium, which is operated by the Stadium Australia Group, chaired by Infrastructure Capital Group major shareholder John Clarke. Former ACTU vice-president Michael Easson is also on the three-member board, along with stadium CEO Daryl Kerry.

The key is Parramatta. If the government agrees to significantly increase its capacity, the ANZ operators could demand the government pay out the remaining 17 years on their lease and run the stadium itself.

It has leverage to force this outcome under an agreement signed in 1996 with the government before the stadium was built. It compels the government to “negotiate in good faith” with ANZ to ensure there is no “material adverse effect” if the government lifts the capacity above 25,000 of any stadium within 50km of Homebush.

If the government took back ANZ, one option would be to knock down Allianz and build a new 70,000-seat stadium at Moore Park and then turn ANZ Stadium into apartments.

In one further twist, a consortium led by Page, Gerry Harvey and John Singleton are about to take possession of the Entertainment Quarter next to Allianz and they have big plans.

When I recently asked Singleton to name one thing that could be done to improve Sydney, his response was short: “Blow up Homebush”.

DC_fan

Coach
To get rid of ANZ Stadium would be the most stupid idea in the history of all sports.

Here we have a massive stadium that is just about smack in the geographical and population centre of Sydney. With public transport and quality car parking, plus easy close by access to the M4 it is easy to get to and from.

Yet we have some suggesting it may go.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
To get rid of ANZ Stadium would be the most stupid idea in the history of all sports.

Here we have a massive stadium that is just about smack in the geographical and population centre of Sydney. With public transport and quality car parking, plus easy close by access to the M4 it is easy to get to and from.

Yet we have some suggesting it may go.

Yeah, I'm sure all those empty seats every game are really appealing to the NRL when the whips start cracking. The moment the Wanderers play a game there and get 40,000 or more, the final humiliation of clubs like South Sydney will be complete

cleary89

Coach
Yeh, all those pubs in Paddington and Surrey hills really suck when you can get mid strength at 1 place at homebush.

It's not like any trains go to central. How could people get to the city?

fourplay

Juniors
id rather knockdown anz stadium and build a purpose built rectangular 70000 seat stadium with a roof

I wonder what would happen if the NRL/ARL, A-League/Socceroos, and ARU all refused to play their unless it was rebuilt as a purpose built 70,000 rectangular standium with a roof. Something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Crippler

Juniors
Yeh the steepy the recline of seats the better the view.

my season ticket at anz is on bottom tier and if you have someone a little taller than average seating in front of you their head blocks the view. because the angle is so flat for seats the further you go back the distance to sideline increases heaps and hard to see.

I'm sure those seating angle was flat so they can slide this seats in and out to get under the main grandstand seats in oval setup

screw the AFL and cricket we deserve a world class rectangular stadium. the Brazil would cup had some awesome stadium a