What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/el...-sydney-stadiums/story-fnii5s3y-1227127769990

Electricity sale to fund upgrade of Sydney stadiums

Andrew Clennell and Miles Godfrey
The Daily Telegraph
November 19, 2014 7:37AM

THREE Sydney stadiums, *Allianz, ANZ and Parramatta, are set to receive hundreds of millions of dollars worth of upgrades in the Baird government’s infrastructure plan to be released next month.

Senior government sources confirmed Premier Mike Baird will take to the election a promise to upgrade all three stadiums, if the state’s electricity networks are sold.

But ANZ’s push for $250 million in taxpayers’ money to go towards its $350 million upgrade will not be fully met, a source said.

The State Infrastructure Strategy is not expected to *include money to build a new stadium in Penrith, which is being pushed by local MP and Sport Minister Stuart Ayres, and the Penrith Panthers.

A final decision on where a new western stadium should be built — Liverpool Council is also proposing a site near the new Western Sydney airport — will not be made until after the state election.

The Daily Telegraph yesterday revealed ANZ’s proposal to upgrade Sydney’s biggest stadium to enable fans to sit within 5m of the sports action and build a *retractable roof.

The plan won approval from South Sydney Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson, who urged the government to back the ANZ revamp.

“The sooner they can make the decision the better, so we can get on with it,’’ Mr Richardson said.

But NRL chief Dave Smith declined to back ANZ.

“The NRL will continue to work with the NSW government on what is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get stadiums investment right,’’ an NRL spokeswoman said.

The powerful Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust is also lobbying for $250 million to be spent modernising the 44,000-seat Allianz Stadium at Moore Park.

A turf war erupted yesterday when Parramatta MP Geoff Lee took a shot at Penrith’s stadium campaign.

“Nobody wants to go to Penrith. I mean, I’m sure some people do but if you’re talking about a geographic and transport hub Parramatta makes more sense,” he said.

Mr Lee, billionaire Frank Lowy and Western Sydney Wanderers owner Paul Lederer are urging the government to turn Parramatta Stadium into a 32,000-seat venue as part of a $120 million revamp. Around $29 million is being spent installing 4000 new seats — a reflection of the Wanderers’ rise over the past two seasons.

Penrith Panthers have been lobbying the government to help build a new $500 million complex on the site of the existing Sportingbet Stadium.

big hit!

Bench
Problem with redeveloping Parra is the parochial nature of clubs means that no one but the eels will play there. At least if they built a new stadium it would be neutral and we could see Bulldogs, Eels and Tigers playing out of it. With Western Sydney and occasional Warratards games it would more than pay for itself. Leave ANZ for the Sunday afternoon Sydney blockbuster game and big events like SOO and Finals. If Twickers and Wembley can sit empty most of year and still be viable no reason ANZ cant. Out of interest can the Govt close Parra stadium and sell the land off or is their a title on it that requires agreement of Parra club?

That comment is absurd. You do realise those venues are owned by the respective football associations in sports which have a fairly big international calendar as well as utilising it for major games in their games. Wembley as an example hosts countless England euro/WC qualifiers, friendlies, FA Cup semis and final, League Cup semis and final, lower division playoffs, etc, as well as hosting 3 legit NFL matches and is also a concert venue.

Other than a state of origin, a GF, a Bledisloe, and maybe a final Socceroos WC qualifier every 4 years, there was really no viable need for a stadium such as Stadium Oz in Sydney post Olympics. It was built for the Olympics, it's configured for the Olympics, and it is shit because of the Olympics.

Souths, St's (5 games) and Roosters out of roofed Allianz with the Friday night Sydney blockbuster played there every week.
Roofed? get your hand of it.

Bulldog Force

Referee

forby

Juniors
Redeveloping Parramatta is a total waste of resources. Homebush is 10 minutes away - go there!
Parramatta would need to take land from Parramatta Park to expand and there is no way known that this would be allowed.
There are enough facilities in the area without depriving the rest of western Sydney - Homebush has ANZ, State Sports Centre, All Phones Arena, the showground Stadium and will soon have the new Netball complex. These are all within a stone's throw of Parramatta.
The State Government built Parramatta Stadium after the Eels fans destroyed their old home ground. Why should they be given more again?
The new stadium should be in the real west of Sydney - Penrith. This is the fastest growing region in the state and needs the investment and benefits a new stadium would bring.

GAZF

First Grade
Redeveloping Parramatta is a total waste of resources. Homebush is 10 minutes away - go there!
Parramatta would need to take land from Parramatta Park to expand and there is no way known that this would be allowed.
There are enough facilities in the area without depriving the rest of western Sydney - Homebush has ANZ, State Sports Centre, All Phones Arena, the showground Stadium and will soon have the new Netball complex. These are all within a stone's throw of Parramatta.
The State Government built Parramatta Stadium after the Eels fans destroyed their old home ground. Why should they be given more again?
The new stadium should be in the real west of Sydney - Penrith. This is the fastest growing region in the state and needs the investment and benefits a new stadium would bring.

Its neither the geographic or population centre of Western Sydney, and it never will be.

TheRam

Coach

Give it up mate, you have already lost on this one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That comment is absurd. You do realise those venues are owned by the respective football associations in sports which have a fairly big international calendar as well as utilising it for major games in their games. Wembley as an example hosts countless England euro/WC qualifiers, friendlies, FA Cup semis and final, League Cup semis and final, lower division playoffs, etc, as well as hosting 3 legit NFL matches and is also a concert venue.

Other than a state of origin, a GF, a Bledisloe, and maybe a final Socceroos WC qualifier every 4 years, there was really no viable need for a stadium such as Stadium Oz in Sydney post Olympics. It was built for the Olympics, it's configured for the Olympics, and it is shit because of the Olympics.

Roofed? get your hand of it.

obviously didnt read my post.
Wembley would have 20-30 events max, Twickers 10-20 if that.

In my suggested allocation ANZ would host a Sunday afternoon Sydney blockbuster most rounds, SOO, Test matches (union and league), possible semi finals, socceroos etc. There's 25-40 events a year.

Shame NRL Sydneysiders are such sftcoks but it seems a roof and padded seats are the only hope of getting them to turn out in winter to follow their teams.

pHyR3

Juniors
WTF??? The new airport is in Badgerys Creek... a good 20 km away from Liverpool. Whoever wrote that article has NFI what they're on about!

so which council would it fall under?

liverpool governs out to greendale which is actually around 5km WEST of bagery's creek. meaning the new airport falls well within Liverpool council's area.

cleary89

Coach
Good to see the state government is planning to kick in hundreds of millions, just like they have for AFL and Cricket and other state governments have done recently for AFL. Even if it does come as an electricity sell off.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

liverpool governs out to greendale which is actually around 5km WEST of bagery's creek. meaning the new airport falls well within Liverpool council's area.

Probably is a guess, but it would have to do more with outgoing transport...

With that in mind, the best place would be Blacktown.

It would be particularly great for Campbeltown people (assuming they dont get their own stadium). It wouldnt require them to go through the inner west. and there a direct trainline and freeway so the tigers could play the majority of games there.

Panthers aswell obviously and Parra at least for the big games.

franklin2323

Immortal
,Starnge. Moment, I have been a STH since 1986, and when we regularly had crowds of 25k in the first couple of seasons, the cross were moved in very respectable time.

Not sure if this doesn't suit your argument, but the idea is to improve the light rail etc., the walk from Parramatta station is only 10 minutes. The Parramatta stadium upgrade is actually the most sensible and efficient use of govt funds as it is a 12 month use stadium , with 2 sets of passionate fans

That's assuming every one has access to public transport. Parramatta's district goes all the way up to Kellyville, Castle Hill etc. Any upgrade needs to have parking for atleast half of the capacity. I went to to Manly v Parra. That was 19k and took around 40mins to leave via car. 13k extra would have more cars but no way of leaving. This is for Penrith as well not just Parra they are suburban grounds not multi purpose sporting complexes

franklin2323

Immortal
Give it up mate, you have already lost on this one.

There was an article earlier in the year that said after the Airport road and Rail is built Penrith will be the centre of the west. Doesn't mean we have the space for a new staduim because we don't but neither does Parra

Panfas

Juniors
I like the ANZ stadium proposal. You have to remember that Sydney Olympic Park is in the middle of a massive transformation. In 10(?) years time it will be the place to be, not the wasteland that we know today. Why get rid of the stadium with good public transport, geographically the centre of Sydney and soon to have everything close by?

Just my thoughts on how the stadium strategy should work. I am thinking best for the game, not best for my club

ANZ Stadium upgrade - 80k capacity - $250m public funding (full), $100m private
Bulldogs (11) , Souths (10), Eels (2), NSW (~1), GF (1), Various RahRah + Waratahs (~5)

Allianz Stadium upgrade - 45k capacity - $50m public funding (reduced)
Roosters (12), Dragons (5), Sydney FC (13), Waratahs (~8)

Blacktown Stadium - 35k capacity - $200m public, $50m private (including rail connections)
Panthers (12), Tigers (12), Wanderers (13)

Parramatta Stadium - 24k capacity - $0
Eels (10)

Sportingbet Stadium - 22k capacity - Unsure what to do with stadium. Council to sell?

Brookvale Oval - 20k (10k seats) - $ unknown (paid for by Federal Govt).
Sea Eagles (12), local events / RahRah team.

Remondis Stadium - 20k - $ unknown (paid for by development)
Sharks (12)

Bulldog Force

Referee

I'm not talking about council jurisdiction, I'm talking about locality. The suburb, the 'heart' of Liverpool is not near the site of the second airport.

pHyR3

Juniors
I like the ANZ stadium proposal. You have to remember that Sydney Olympic Park is in the middle of a massive transformation. In 10(?) years time it will be the place to be, not the wasteland that we know today. Why get rid of the stadium with good public transport, geographically the centre of Sydney and soon to have everything close by?

Just my thoughts on how the stadium strategy should work. I am thinking best for the game, not best for my club

ANZ Stadium upgrade - 80k capacity - $250m public funding (full), $100m private
Bulldogs (11) , Souths (10), Eels (2), NSW (~1), GF (1), Various RahRah + Waratahs (~5)

Allianz Stadium upgrade - 45k capacity - $50m public funding (reduced)
Roosters (12), Dragons (5), Sydney FC (13), Waratahs (~8)

Blacktown Stadium - 35k capacity - $200m public, $50m private (including rail connections)
Panthers (12), Tigers (12), Wanderers (13)

Parramatta Stadium - 24k capacity - $0
Eels (10)

Sportingbet Stadium - 22k capacity - Unsure what to do with stadium. Council to sell?

Brookvale Oval - 20k (10k seats) - $ unknown (paid for by Federal Govt).
Sea Eagles (12), local events / RahRah team.

Remondis Stadium - 20k - $ unknown (paid for by development)
Sharks (12)

20k capacity too low, should aim for minimum 23-24k. Parra should be 25k+ thhey win a premiership and theyll have to move half their games to anz otherwise

CC_Roosters

First Grade
So daily telegraph articles aside what is the official word on whete public funding is going? I think that spending hundreds of millions on anz and allianz is a waste to be honest. Money would be better spent on a new 40k stadium in blacktown, its the only ground i could see all 4 western sides using to some extent. If anything is done at homebush i Would rather see olympic park bulldozed and rebuilt as rectangular only as i dont think the vewing angles issue is fixable with spending stupid amounts of money.

morley101

Juniors
I'm tipping the SFS is to get the first upgrade, the state government is already in the midst building the light rail past the SFS/SCG and a new walking bridge over ANZAC parade.
Parramatta Stadium has already $30mil promised for the first stage of the upgrade, I wouldn't be surprised if more $ are made available for stage 2.

Latest posts