What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Stinkler

Juniors
Sydney needs more monorails. Gutted when last there to see the only one had closed. Monorails to SFS and ANZ, thats the answer!

I said at the time that the Sydney Monorail should have been relocated to Olympic Park!
Stops at each of the big venues and carparks. Perfect!

Then realised I was in FantasyLand!

unforgiven

Bench
Do people really hate trains that much???

Yep, everytime I catch a train, someone like you will come and sit next to or near me and ruin what would otherwise be a very enjoyable ride. Same thing used to happen to me at the footy, but that person gave up supporting his team so it is a much more pleasant experience now.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/urban_planner_warns_nsw_don_build_KguOHn1K3krehajabzr6yO

Urban planner warns NSW: don’t build super-stadiums
PUBLISHED: 15 hours 10 MINUTES AGO | UPDATE: 1 hour 57 MINUTES AGO

John Stensholt

NSW government authorities should be careful not to build new stadiums in Sydney that are too big for the demand, says an Australian international stadium and urban planning expert.

Adam Williams, the global sports director of engineering firm AECOM, says robust business plans will be needed to ensure Sydney is not stuck with stadiums that are rarely filled, except for a handful of big events.

In late November, NSW Premier Mike Baird announced that the state government would set aside $600 million from the sports and cultural fund that forms part of the Rebuilding NSW plan to be rolled out if voters back Mr Baird’s strategy of privatising NSW electricity assets.

The three main stadiums competing for the funds are Allianz Stadium near the Sydney CBD, Pirtek Stadium at Parramatta and ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park. Each has big plans: a roof, moveable end grandstands and an entertainment precinct at ANZ Stadium, a completely new stadium costing $150 million to $200 million at Parramatta and a $300 million upgrade to a 55,000 seat facility at Allianz Stadium.

Mr Williams, however, said authorities needed to be careful not to have too many big stadiums that are rarely full.

“It is surprising to still see operators and teams who want bigger stadiums expecting it to drive fan numbers and revenue,” he said. “This is not the right approach.

“Wouldn’t you prefer to play in a packed stadium of 20,000 to 25,000 seats as opposed to a 35,000-to-40,000 [seat stadium] . . . only 60 per cent full? The sums need to run, but there are instances where a continued limited demand can drive prices and loyalty because people know they need to get in quick and be committed [to buying tickets and attending events].”

Money is also being sought for upgrades at Brookvale and Penrith, both home to NRL clubs, and potentially a new multi-use indoor stadium to replace the soon-to-be-demolished Sydney Entertainment Centre.

Mr Williams, who helped design the Olympic precinct for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games, said the government would need to consider how much economic impact new precincts around the stadiums would bring. “If you layer in the precinct and opportunities this presents, an expansion/new build might be the way to go. With all this, it is about a strong business case and an understanding of the trends.”

He said development around stadiums can drive more patronage even when events are not being held, but the trend around the world is for stadiums closer to CBDs and town centres.

juro

Bench
Harry Triguboff hungry for success at Wests Tigers

December 6, 2014
Adrian Proszenko

Having resolved to get more hands-on with his beloved Wests Tigers, Harry Triguboff immediately gave the club food for thought.
"Because they can't win, I am personally now involved," Triguboff said.
"The first thing I'm doing, I'm making them a big kitchen, we are building it now.
"They told me 'the boys go out for lunch and we don't know what they eat'. So now, there will be a chef here. If we win, I will give the chef a special bonus. If we lose, I throw out the bloody chef.
"It's now in the chef's hands. You know that Napoleon said, 'The army travels on its stomach.' "
Like Napoleon, Triguboff has built an empire. His Meriton business, the target of Chinese buyers, is estimated to be worth about $12 billion.
There are only 280 more wealthy individuals on the planet, says Forbes magazine, than the man who started out driving taxis and running a milk round.
Yet at a time when most are starting to wind down to enjoy the fruits of their labour, the 81-year-old is investing more of himself into the projects close to his heart. Which is why the Tigers will benefit.
"See my business? When the unions were fighting me 45 years ago, they could never beat me," Triguboff told Fairfax Media.
"Because my workers and I were united. We knew we had to succeed together. That's the important thing that has to happen [at Wests Tigers] and that's why I want to be more involved.
"Not that I have such great ideas, I have no ideas at all. But if I am involved I hope I will bring that spirit into the club."
The self-made billionaire was the first sponsor of the joint-venture club and his company retains pride of place on the front of its jersey.
But there have been times his patience has been tested. Like the recent coaching sagas, mediocre results and the ongoing power struggle between Balmain and Wests. He has considered withdrawing his sponsorship on many occasions but has always written another cheque when an alternative couldn't be found.
"I am giving them one year. They are on notice, the bastards!" he said, perhaps only half-jokingly.
"We'll see what they can do. I'll get more involved, maybe that helps."
Given his business acumen, corporate connections and knowledge of the club's heartlands, it is surprising to hear Tigers officials and their NRL counterparts had not sought his counsel.
But to a club which splits its game across three venues, he gives this piece of advice for free; start playing NRL games at your training base at Concord Oval.
"I think it's a good place, it's very central," he said. "The population has shifted a lot because a lot of the people are now living around Rhodes, which is close.
"We've put more people into Rhodes than what we've put into Balmain over the last 10 or 20 years. It's a natural for them.
"If we could fix up [Concord Oval], then I don't think we need Leichhardt Oval. If you can't get it to be used like I think it should be, then we have to fix Leichhardt Oval.
"Leichhardt Oval is very close to our hearts, we remember standing up on the hill with the sun beating down on us, it's got an atmosphere the others don't have … but I think it's limited."

Triguboff is cautiously optimistic about the prospects of the club. There is a new board, a new coach and a promising roster.
A premiership, the first since the landmark 2005 title, could be "two or three years away" now that the political infighting has ceased. However, he would like to see Balmain play an active role in the joint venture.
"I give them money now and hope I help them with other things. We'll see if the money is spent where I want it," he said.
Whether that assistance will extend to developing the ill-fated Rozelle Village premises, meant to house Balmain's leagues club, remains to be seen. One thing is certain – he will always be there for the Wests Tigers.
"As long as they need me, I'm there," he said. "It's a tradition now."
Harry Triguboff on ...
Getting involved with Wests Tigers – "I was building in Balmain. Dawn Fraser was involved in the club and I liked her, she was my hero. So I joined the club. Sometimes they had nobody backing them, so I backed them. So I have been with them all the time, many years. I feel as though I am part of them."
The job done by the NRL – "I don't think they are doing such a terrific job. If you start asking me detail, I would fall apart. But just looking at it, there's something wrong there … salary caps are a difficult thing. What is a salary cap? Is it really a salary cap when one [club] has all the good players and the other one doesn't? You make a mistake, you overpay a couple of times and can't buy any players."
The Tigers' premiership chances – "I think it will take two or three years, they can't do it next year. They will win. They are young and if they don't get hurt and stay there, we will win."
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-success-at-wests-tigers-20141206-121ou0.html

Timbo

Staff member
No lights, very limited corporate facilities, poor access and a capacity that is only pushing 18,000.

Not ideal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
this is the most awesome and wacky plan to make a club successful I have ever read!

"The first thing I'm doing, I'm making them a big kitchen, we are building it now.
"They told me 'the boys go out for lunch and we don't know what they eat'. So now, there will be a chef here. If we win, I will give the chef a special bonus. If we lose, I throw out the bloody chef.

It is interesting to see how many NRL clubs still rely on a rich fan with a business to sponsor them as opposed to appealing to a range of neutral corporate companies and being able to choose which offers most. When you see the number of empty boxes at grounds you can see we still have a long way to go to tap into the corporate $.

He has considered withdrawing his sponsorship on many occasions but has always written another cheque when an alternative couldn't be found.
"I am giving them one year. They are on notice, the bastards!" he said, perhaps only half-jokingly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mr Williams, however, said authorities needed to be careful not to have too many big stadiums that are rarely full.

“It is surprising to still see operators and teams who want bigger stadiums expecting it to drive fan numbers and revenue,” he said. “This is not the right approach.

“Wouldn’t you prefer to play in a packed stadium of 20,000 to 25,000 seats as opposed to a 35,000-to-40,000 [seat stadium] . . . only 60 per cent full?

Problem with this is it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. AAMI stadium is brilliant regardless of 20,000 or 36,000 in it.
I don't think that is a problem, 80,000 with 20,000 in it, or 18,000 with 9,000 in it because there is no weather protection is the big problem in Sydney.

If Sydney built 3 AAMI's and redeveloped SFS it would sort out club needs, ANZ should be seen as a national stadium alongside MCG and be supported by Govt accordingly. Smith needs to tell clubs that ANZ is not appropriate for club football.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes they should, hopefully the NRL is showing its cards by jumping in bed with the Allianz proposal. anz is a blight on the game for club football and should be banned.

insert.pause

First Grade
http://www.theage.com.au/wa-news/work-begins-at-perth-stadium-20141207-12235h.html

Anyone know if the final plan included retractable stands??

This stadium is Perths best hope for an Origin game, itd be great if it was at least a relatively good RL stadium...

It's multi-purpose with a format for rugby codes, Smith is aware of it:

"The future, and the way that we manage the competition, could be different," Smith told Fairfax Media.

"Next year we're taking Origin II to Melbourne so at the end of the day we can appeal to the widest bunch of fans that we possibly can.

"ANZ is great for doing that, it's a great grand final spectacle. But 20 years down the track you'll have the Perth stadium built, clearly Melbourne is an opportunity. There's nothing better than Suncorp and who knows what investment we'll have from the government in Sydney in terms of stadiums.

"I think it is a longer-term horizon because of our contractual arrangement, but remember that we're about growth and wider appeal.

"You'd hope you could take the game at different times, if it's well thought through, to other regions."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...spiritual-home-of-sydney-20140920-10jonx.html

insert.pause

First Grade

It has bi-partisan support, the NRL has been lobbying the State government, I would expect an announcement next year closer to the state election.

oikee

Juniors
You have to laugh.
Labor got this state into close to 80 billion debt, and without any planning announce 100 million for a stadium in Townsville.
hahaha, you can see where this state is going if labor are invited back. They will probably then announce 1 billion in round ground funds again after that.
Faking lunatics.

Latest posts