What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

alien

Referee
why dont people like the NEW western sydney stadium at badgerys creek idea??? it would be great (as long as the railway lines are built, and they will be). its basically right between penrith and campbelltown. have a look at a map of the sydney metro area. parra is basically right in the centre of the sydney area. penrith and campbelltown/macarthur are the true westies

alien

Referee
I think the idea of building a NEW Western Sydney Stadium at Badgerys Creek, near where the airport is going to be is a good idea, as long as the railway lines are built. There is already a south west rail link from Glenfield under construction going to Edmondson Park and then Leppington. That could continue to Badgerys Creek. A line from say St Marys could connect to Badgeys Creek, and another line from Badgerys Creek to Camden (with a stop at Oran Park which I believe is going to get ALOT more houses soon), and a line from Camden to Macarthur Station, via South Mt. Annan (a railway station on the south side of the Mt Annan Botanic Gardens).

The Stadium at Badgerys Creek would be easy for people to get there by public transport from:
Penrith - Train from St. Marys to Badgerys Creek.
Macarthur/Campbelltown - Train from Camden to Badgerys Creek, or train from Glenfield to Badgerys Creek.
Liverpool - Train to Glenfield, then to Badgerys Creek.
Parramatta - Eels and Wanderers would probably play their small games at Parra and their large games at ANZ. It's only a few suburbs away, but if they wanted to play at a Badgerys Creek Stadium they could train to St Marys to Badgerys Creek, or to Glenfield to Badgerys Creek.

People flying to Sydney to get to the Badgerys Creek Western Sydney Stadium could use the Badgerys Creek airport and you're right there!

I was just looking for plans of new railway links to Badgerys Creek and found something on the internet which is fairly similar to what I wrote last night. This picture might make it easier to understand it all.

745588-badgerys-rail-map.jpg

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'd bet campbelltown with a rumoured 3rd sydney A-league team based out of the South-West.

Thatd be a waste...

4-6 NRL games and an aleague team when:
- Blacktown would have Penrith and Wests, (and maybe parra games)
- Liverpool would have Canterbury and wests

Campbeltown would be on par with penrith as a logical choice.

Edit: and that 3rd ALeague team is supposed to be headed for the Shire anyway.

alien

Referee
Thatd be a waste...

im not sure why wests would play at blacktown. thats going a bit far from wests' area. dont worry, when wests give balmange the flick and the magpies come back into the nrl, they'll play all home games at an upgraded campbelltown stadium :p

a stadium at liverpool isnt a bad idea..

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
why dont people like the NEW western sydney stadium at badgerys creek idea??? it would be great (as long as the railway lines are built, and they will be). its basically right between penrith and campbelltown. have a look at a map of the sydney metro area. parra is basically right in the centre of the sydney area. penrith and campbelltown/macarthur are the true westies

It would be like Homebush is now; absolutely nothing to do. Badgerys creek might be a good location in 2050 but definitely not now....

However, The 2nd AirPort should be considered, which makes me think Blacktown is the way to go. Youd have the Panthers there (obviously), but the great draw would be Wests. The Airport would create a freeway and a train directly from Campbeltown to Blacktown.

Campbeltown cant sustain a team; its a massive suburb with no defined CBD ( basically its urban sprawl at its best). The people from the SW are important to RL but they cant expect a team in their own backyard.

Blacktown would be a prime alternative. a 20 minute drive/train ride and youre there with a fair bit of shit to do pre-game.

im not sure why wests would play at blacktown. thats going a bit far from wests' area. dont worry, when wests give balmange the flick and the magpies come back into the nrl, they'll play all home games at an upgraded campbelltown stadium :p

a stadium at liverpool isnt a bad idea..

Again, Campbeltown wont get their own stadium. So for the locals of the SW, Liverpool or Blacktown (post 2nd airport) would be the best options.

Demographic wise, from what i can gather a large portion of the Tigers fan base is Cabramatta/Fairfield region; which again points to a Liverpool or Blacktown home. (Liverpool doesnt seem likely as theyll probably be focussing on the Parramatta road lattitude. Blacktown seems likely to play towards the Penrith-area electorates)

As for the Inner-west people, its a 40 minute trainride from Wests Ashfield to Blacktown.

Youll never please everyone, but for all parties Blacktown seems like the best place for the Tigs to settle

Last edited:

alien

Referee
It would be like Homebush is now; absolutely nothing to do. Badgerys creek might be a good location in 2050 but definitely not now....

However, The 2nd AirPort should be considered, which makes me think Blacktown is the way to go. Youd have the Panthers there (obviously), but the great draw would be Wests. The Airport would create a freeway and a train directly from Campbeltown to Blacktown.

Campbeltown cant sustain a team; its a massive suburb with no defined CBD ( basically its urban sprawl at its best). The people from the SW are important to RL but they cant expect a team in their own backyard.

Blacktown would be a prime alternative. a 20 minute drive/train ride and youre there with a fair bit of shit to do pre-game.

Again, Campbeltown wont get their own stadium. So for the locals of the SW, Liverpool or Blacktown (post 2nd airport) would be the best options.

Demographic wise, from what i can gather a large portion of the Tigers fan base is Cabramatta/Fairfield region; which again points to a Liverpool or Blacktown home.

As for the Inner-west people, its a 40 minute trainride from Wests Ashfield to Blacktown.

Youll never please everyone, but for all parties Blacktown seems like the best place for the Tigs to settle

Nothing to do??? People will go there to watch the footy, and the population is going to keep growing out west/south west at a quick rate. There are going to be businesses, restaurants, pubs opening up. The areas around Oran Park/Bringelly and Liverpool are going to have a massive increase in population, which is close to Campbelltown/Macarthur. The area will easily be able to sustain an NRL club. Alot of people think Liverpool is Bulldogs territory, but it isn't. Liverpool is in the Western Suburbs junior district, which goes right down to Campbelltown.

Rodney

Juniors
Thatd be a waste...

Wests are based in Balmain and Cambelltown, Blacktown is further than ANZ for their base.
And Penrith dosen't need anything more than they've got now, they're barely sitting above 10k per game. A bigger stadium would be a waste.

This could equally work, but you'd have to convince the dogs to move from ANZ.
A Liverpool stadium would also be compatable with a SW A-league team.
This would be a very strong bid if Wests could wrangle something like 8 or even 10 games a year.

Gallop's fish where fishes are mantra wouldn't work with a place like Cronulla.
I'm thinking there must be something in the works, because at the moment the NRL clubs on the table don't really call for another stadium to be built.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Wests are based in Balmain and Cambelltown, Blacktown is further than ANZ for their base.

The first thing to keep in mind here is this hypothetical is post- the badgery creek airport infrustructure, so Blacktown would actually be much better for SW people trying to avoid the inner-west traffic.

As for the Inner-west locals, you cant assume that they area as centrally located as this "territory idea" suggests. Tigers fans would be spread right across Sydney (im lead to believe Cabramatta./Fairfield is where a large portion of their demographic come from).

(Assuming that they would eventually like to centralise into 1 home ground...) All together, trying to please Campbeltown people as well as the fans across the Parramatta Rd area, Blacktown is the way to go.

And Penrith dosen't need anything more than they've got now, they're barely sitting above 10k per game. A bigger stadium would be a waste.

Thats a very short sighted way to look at it....

Playing out of a world-class stadium in a better location will draw more people. And being further east (while still inside the Panthers Territory) and sharing with other teams they would be able to entice more away fans to their games

I'm thinking there must be something in the works, because at the moment the NRL clubs on the table don't really call for another stadium to be built.

Youre gonna have to rephrase this, i genuinely do not know what you mean....

bottle

Coach
Doctor you have a massive hard on for Blacktown. Well, I don't really know if it's massive, I don't know you that well, but you know what I mean.
Are you a Blacktown local?

Rodney

Juniors
Youre gonna have to rephrase this, i genuinely do not know what you mean....

There must be some new a-league team coming sometime in the future, because with the current Sydney NRL teams another new stadium seems wasteful/ not particularly worth it.

At best they're going to get 1.5 NRL teams playing out of it.

Which suggests the A-league may be indicating it wants to tip in another team, which would make another big stadium worthwhile.

I think Blacktown might be a bit to close to Parramatta to be worth considering,
Any 2nd team that could ship games to blacktown would be closer to Parramatta and probably Homebush.
It'd be a hard sell.

Wests in particular have a massive market to preach to down in the SW.
With Balmain weaker than ever you'd think they'd be prioritizing centralizing around this region.
Slowly relegating Balmain to a 'heritage ground'.
Especially with ANZ to host the big fixtures, I don't see a real purpose to spreading out to Blacktown as well.
It only takes games away from the target demographic.

And Penrith would be shipping games further away from the central Penrith city to the outskirts of its territory.

I've only been there once, but I didn't think Penrith Stadium was too far from the station. Geographically i'd think they're right where they want to be.

Blacktown dosen't fit anyone, i'd be very surprised if it got the go-ahead.

South-West at least fits in where wests want to be, and could also fit with where the Bulldogs want to be.
If anywhere they could be a candidate.
But unless an a-league team or someone else agrees to occupy it I wouldn't think a new stadium would be worth it.

forward pass

Coach
I just remembered something...

Am i right to think that ANZ have a right to veto any new sydney stadiums over 50k seats??

I remember hearing something similar as well - but I thought the stadium had to be within a certain distance of ANZ - and it was only Parra Stadium that was affected.

So they should build Parra Stadium with a capacity of 49,999 seats. Easy fixed.

fourplay

Juniors

And they should work with the designers to formulate a plan so they can upgrade the grounds capacity to 50,000 at a later date.

But they have to be careful and make allowances incase the onfield security guards bring their own chairs to sit on.

insert.pause

First Grade

it's any upgrade of a stadium beyond 25,000 capacity within 50km radius of ANZ Stadium. Thus, an upgrade of Parramatta will require the NSW government to “negotiate in good faith” with ANZ to ensure there is no “material adverse effect” on ANZ Stadium. But because the SFS already had a capacity exceeding it before the agreement in 1996, it is not bound by it.

Smith may have factored this in and could exploit the NRL's influence on the SFS design to get ANZ Stadium to permit an upgrade of Parramatta Stadium, for instance not upgrading the SFS to 65k in return for Parramatta being granted an upgrade to 35k without opposition from ANZ Stadium. Either way the NRL have ANZ Stadium over a barrel.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I maintain that ANZ COULD be the best rectangular stadium in sydney...

Running the ground east-west and just rebuilding the north and south stands at the tunnels.

juro

Bench
What Dave Smith needs is for ANZ's stands all to be ripped down and replaced by inflatable stands (like a massive jumping castle). Just pump more air in if it's grand final day or SoO. Imagine the fun!!!

Latest posts