What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

alien

Referee
did you 2 watch the videos? when rugby league, rugby union, soccer will be played there the seats will be like 5 metres from the field. who cares if they can make it larger for afl and cricket.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
did you 2 watch the videos? when rugby league, rugby union, soccer will be played there the seats will be like 5 metres from the field. who cares if they can make it larger for afl and cricket.

It costs a quarter of a billion and all we get are retractable north/south stands...

It doesnt fix the shitty gradiants i the east and west stands and funding this could mean losing the WS stadium (or at the very least, cut $.3billion from any other plans).

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...162422005?nk=71a925645fe68736c45b07b55d4edfe2

Revealed: Mike Baird’s plan to save ANZ Stadium and score goal for Western Wanderers

John Lehmann Editor at Large
The Daily Telegraph
December 20, 2014 12:00AM

Editor-at-large John Lehmann.

The push to turn Moore Park’s Allianz stadium into our biggest sports arena and reduce Sydney Olympic Park’s ANZ to rubble looks set to falter.

The battle of the stadiums — which has pitted some of the city’s highest-profile business operators against each other — is close to being won.

High-level sources say Premier Mike Baird is planning to allocate about $200 million towards modernising the former Olympic stadium.

Football boss Frank Lowy is also well placed to score a goal for Paul Lederer’s Western Wanderers, who want a bigger Parramatta stadium.

The word is Baird will plough about $100 million into lifting the capacity of Pirtek stadium to around 32,000 seats and sprucing up its corporate facilities.

The decisions would be a win for Western Sydney and safeguard the future of the 83,500-seat ANZ venue as the city’s big-event arena.

The high-powered Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust teamed up with NRL boss Dave Smith to lobby for the building of a new 65,000-seat Allianz stadium.

The Trust is directed by serious corporate muscle, including its chairman Tony Shepherd, ‘Mr Olympics” Rod McGeoch, Destination NSW chairman John Hartigan, broadcaster Alan Jones and retail guru Katie Page.

Although Sport Minister Stuart Ayres gave serious consideration to the Trust’s bid to usurp ANZ, the Premier believes Sydney Olympic Park is best placed to service all of Sydney.

Baird also believes Sydney needs its biggest stadium to have a capacity of around 80,000 to compete with Melbourne’s MCG for the biggest international events.

It makes sense for NRL clubs to play more games at Homebush. A confidential report by the AFL has just found that 50 per cent of Western Sydney residents surveyed would rather attend an NRL game, while only 11 per cent picked AFL.

The report said that in Sydney’s north and east — more traditional Sydney Swans territory — the NRL fell back to the first preference of 33 per cent of those surveyed, while the AFL increased to 19 per cent.

The Trust will still receive $300 million to transform the ageing Allianz stadium into a classy hi-tech venue for around 50,000 spectators.

ANZ’s private operator, the Stadium Australia Group, may have to shelf plans for a new retractable roof.

The Premier should insist the operators take responsibility for surrounding the venue with new cafes, bars and restaurants.

The park needs an injection of fun — so fans are encouraged to hang around and celebrate sporting glories, rather than running for home the minute the big game is over.

Raiderdave

First Grade

some seats will be closer
most won't
you can't do anything about the middle & top decks in the 2 main stands
as they have been set too far away & spoil the experience for the spectators in these

AFL don't want to play there & won't from 2017 onward
Crickets not fussed as they have a brilliant venue in the city for their sport
& the Sydney Thunder can play at the showground
Smith is not a fan of the venue
poor old ANZ stadiums long term future is in a bit of doubt me thinks

insert.pause

First Grade
NSW obviously want to copy the MCG/Etihad arrangement in Melbourne with ANZ/SFS. There is zero excuse not to make ANZ a permanent rectangular venue.

RWB

Bench

Don't be fooled by that misleading comment, sure the closest seat will be 5 meters away from the field but all the other seats will still be as far away and as shit as they are now. I could purchase a chair from Kmart for $10 put it 5 metres from the field and make the same claim. It means nothing.

Not much is actually going to happen to the stadium, a large amount of money being given to the private owners of Olympic Park will be spent on building & establishing retail outlets on the premises which the private owners will make money from. I wish the government would give me a few million to open up some cafes and make a profit from off the rent I charge.

It's a ridiculous hand out of money & Mike Baird seems to have fallen for it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
some seats will be closer
most won't
you can't do anything about the middle & top decks in the 2 main stands
as they have been set too far away & spoil the experience for the spectators in these

AFL don't want to play there & won't from 2017 onward
Crickets not fussed as they have a brilliant venue in the city for their sport
& the Sydney Thunder can play at the showground
Smith is not a fan of the venue
poor old ANZ stadiums long term future is in a bit of doubt me thinks

I so hope DSmith and the Commission actively campaign against ANZ getting the money if the design stays as it is....

They may get 1 GWS game and some BBL games, but all of these could easily be played next door. NRL will always be SAs biggest tenants, the only way it will remain an oval even with a few hundred million thrown at it is if the NRL remain passive.

If they ARLC went into negotiations and said "spend the money on our fans or we take away all of our games", ANZ would shit themselves.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I don't want to see a cent spent on stadium Australia unless it is to make it permanently rectangular.

With multiple tennants i can understand the need to spruce up Parra and the SFS and both upgrades will benefit the NRL.

unforgiven

Bench
So now you're proposing we move the pitch even further away from the current seats by dropping the pitch level?

I agree. The angle of the lower level seating is the major problem at ANZ. Due to this low angle the seats are not close enough to the field. You want that steep angle to make it feel like the crowd is sitting on top of the action. Sinking the field will not fix this.

The problem with ANZ is that low angle and the fact the non moveable stands are too far from the field. There is absolutely nothing you can do to fix these problems in the current stadium.

Cue a post about running the ground east-west, but that will never happen.

bottle

Coach
Here's an exercise you can do at home.
Go out and find a fresh, steaming, heaping dog turd.
Preferably from a Great Dane.
Shape it into a rectangle with your hands (don't wear gloves).
Make a little roof to pop over the top of it.
Go make a sandwich (don't wash your hands) and come back and admire your work whilst you enjoy your sanger.
Congratulations, you have just simulated the finished product of a rectangularised and roofed ANZ, and been left with the same taste in the mouth that Sydney will be left with if it goes ahead.

GongPanther

Referee
Here's an exercise you can do at home.
Go out and find a fresh, steaming, heaping dog turd.
Preferably from a Great Dane.
Shape it into a rectangle with your hands (don't wear gloves).
Make a little roof to pop over the top of it.
Go make a sandwich (don't wash your hands) and come back and admire your work whilst you enjoy your sanger.
Congratulations, you have just simulated the finished product of a rectangularised and roofed ANZ, and been left with the same taste in the mouth that Sydney will be left with if it goes ahead.

In other words,a shithouse.

Latest posts