What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Saint Doc

Coach
I maintain that ANZ COULD be the best rectangular stadium in sydney...

Running the ground east-west and just rebuilding the north and south stands at the tunnels.

fa7d713d9a2a2fb1624cc4ee86cad0231dcf07c6288c5f18e8dfa4e0a72466a6.jpg

alien

Referee
Originally Posted by forward pass:
"So they should build Parra Stadium with a capacity of 49,999 seats. Easy fixed."

And they should work with the designers to formulate a plan so they can upgrade the grounds capacity to 50,000 at a later date.

i agree! that extra 1 seat is important!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

hahah

Seriously though:
- Theres a genuine push to build a new 40k seast stadium stadium in Penrith.
- the current proposal for ANZ makes the lower bowl look like a bloody Ironman suit
- AND (my favourite) there is a proposal for a Liverpool stadium where the field is on wheels or something and they move in and out of the ground....

Im just saying, changing the direction of the field at ANZ and bringing the north-south stands in is not the craziest idea going around.

Hell, they do patchwork stadium designs in England all the time and they turn out great (How many times has Old Trafford been redone?)...

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
hahah

Seriously though:
- Theres a genuine push to build a new 40k seast stadium stadium in Penrith.
- the current proposal for ANZ makes the lower bowl look like a bloody Ironman suit
- AND (my favourite) there is a proposal for a Liverpool stadium where the field is on wheels or something and they move in and out of the ground....

Im just saying, changing the direction of the field at ANZ and bringing the north-south stands in is not the craziest idea going around.

Hell, they do patchwork stadium designs in England all the time and they turn out great (How many times has Old Trafford been redone?)...
the field being removable is not that crazy, its been done before and has its benefits

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
the field being removable is not that crazy, its been done before and has its benefits

Dont get me wrong, im not saying its a bad idea, just not what you would consider "common sense"...

Im trying to say that an East-West orientation at ANZ isnt the first thing you would think of for fixing the stadium, but that doesnt (in itself) make it a bad idea.

Brutus

Referee
Dont get me wrong, im not saying its a bad idea, just not what you would consider "common sense"...

Im trying to say that an East-West orientation at ANZ isnt the first thing you would think of for fixing the stadium, but that doesnt (in itself) make it a bad idea.

Bring back the Sydney Sports Ground.

An east-west institution.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
In a perfect Sydney world: How good would this weekend be

Friday Night Footy - SFS 50,000 seats with roof 7.45pm kick off - Roosters v Souths (sell out)

Sat Night - Parramatta v Manly @ Parramatta stadium 32,000 seats (sell out)

Sunday - Dogs v St George @ New rectangular ANZ with Roof capacity 75,000 (50,000)

unforgiven

Bench

It actually has some "common sense" benefits. For an indoor stadium it allows the grass to be in more consistent sunlight, it also allows you to remove the playing surface if the venue is being used for concerts or other non sporting events allowing for the protection of the field. It's also beneficial if the venue is trying to host things like the supercross.

bobmar28

Bench
Parramatta stadium has parking/traffic/distance from station issues. I think Blacktown, Eastern Creek and Liverpool are the best options.

oldmancraigy

Coach
It doesn't really bobmar28.

Yes, there are parking issues right next to the stadium, but I rarely ever have trouble getting a parking spot nearby - even with capacity crowds.

However, any increase in stadium capacity ought to include a redevelopment of the open air parking lot to make it into a multilevel carpark. It would make parking easier, not harder.

A shuttle bus from the station solves any minor distance issues there.

morley101

Juniors
It looks like Parra is also getting a light rail too whcih will make things better.
Money has been set aside in this years budget to do the planning.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sydney needs more monorails. Gutted when last there to see the only one had closed. Monorails to SFS and ANZ, thats the answer!

Redcliffe looking at an upgrade that could be used for NRL trials.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...142359382?nk=b7205537e6b392e55003afcfda2ba5ee

357701-0e5e3b8a-78dd-11e4-a066-e8bcf3953009.jpg

357979-1041bcb0-78dd-11e4-a066-e8bcf3953009.jpg

358005-0f510d74-78dd-11e4-a066-e8bcf3953009.jpg

NEW South Wales and central Queensland have them in abundance and now Brisbane may have a boutique sporting stadium of its own.

Queensland rugby league club, Redcliffe District Rugby League Football Club (RDRLFC), has just finished concept drawings, plans and a feasibility study to demonstrate the case for a 10,000-capacity stadium.

The stadium on its existing Dolphin Oval site would be capable of hosting NRL trials and fixtures as well as games and carnivals for rugby league and other sporting codes.

The project is expected to cost $12.6 million to construct. RDRLFC will need funding from Moreton Bay Regional Council, State and Federal governments and the NRL.

The Dolphins will contribute the existing land, buildings and ground improvements, estimated to be worth $4-5 million as well as ongoing maintenance.

The plan includes building stadium seating on the three existing sides and space for corporates. The existing change rooms, toilets and food outlets will be upgraded.

Chief executive Tony Murphy said he hoped the stadium could be built at the end of the 2015 season and be completed by the same time as the Moreton Bay Rail Link, due by the end of 2016.

An artist's impression of the proposed Dolphin Stadium at Redcliffe.
He hoped it would give something to outer Brisbane that other areas of Queensland and New South Wales already have.

“Up the east coast of Queensland, every major town has some sort of stadium, where it has been funded by council or governments. We just lack that; we don’t have one,” he said.

With a $12 million price tag, the next stage solely depends on securing funding. Despite support from all three levels of government, Moreton Bay Regional Council is the only party to have made a solid promise.

Councillor James Houghton said council would chip in a quarter of the cost.

“We have already set aside $3 million in next year’s budget,” he said.

“I think it is a great project; it will bring great employment opportunities and economic benefits for the whole area.

“The biggest obstacle now is getting funding from the other forms of government (state and federal) and the NRL.

“We’ve committed $3 million of the $12 million.”

State Labor Member for Redcliffe Yvette D’Ath said the project had her support.

“I think it is a great idea. It would provide lots of opportunities for the local community — not just for rugby league, but for other sports as well,” Ms D’Ath said.

“Facilities like this get people to visit the area and that supports the local community and businesses. I think it is one that should be considered.”

Federal Member for Petrie Luke Howarth said he would continue to campaign for money despite being knocked back already.

“I have already written to the Sports Minister, Peter Dutton, a few months ago, and have been told the money is not there at the moment,” Mr Howarth said.

“I think it is a great idea because it will help with local jobs. I will keep pushing for it and keep advocating for the Federal Government to contribute.”

The plan also includes scope for tributes to local sporting heroes, with the likes of Arthur Beetson, Petero Civoniceva and Brent Tate all starting their careers from Redcliffe’s Dolphin Oval.

applesauce

Bench
NRL should jump on board now (try and wrestle some of the ownership with funding) if they think at any point in the future there will be a Sunshine Coast/Redcliffe/North Brisbane team in the next 20 years. Small price to pay if they want to go in that direction and own a great facility.

Latest posts