What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

gallagher

Juniors
wish the WA Govt had shown some vision and built both new stadiums at Burswood, would have been great and really brought that part of the city to life. oh for visionary leaders!
but they're gonna do a half assed job and put the AFL ground there. Thats a big step for this govt

Update...

Ausgrid Stadium (formerly EnegyAustralia Stadium) western grandstand redevelopment expected to be ready for Round 4.

Stadium ready for first clash

18 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM
HUNTER Venues chief executive Mark Zundans is confident 30,000 people will fit into Ausgrid Stadium for the Knights' first NRL home game against defending champions St George-Illawarra on April 3.
The $81 million western grandstand is still being built, but Mr Zundans said it would be 90 per cent complete by kick-off. Capacity in the finished stadium will be 33,000 but for the first game, the new stand's ground floor will be closed as will sections of the first floor.

1155544.jpg

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/stadium-ready-for-first-clash/2106880.aspx

WIN Stadium western grandstand redevelopment expected to be ready for partial (bottom tier only) opening in Round 16.

Stadium construction on track for Dragons first game

BY TIM BARROW
18 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM
WIN Stadium boss Stuart Barnes is adamant Wollongong league fans won't cop the same slap in the face their Kogarah equivalents did yesterday, when they lost a home game due to delays in ground maintenance.
The reigning premiers were forced to move their round-five showdown with Canterbury because of ongoing delays at WIN Jubilee Oval. The Dragons will now tackle the Bulldogs at the SCG, not Kogarah, in the April 10 heritage round clash in what was supposed to be their first "home" game of the 2011 season.

1155545.jpg

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-on-track-for-dragons-first-game/2106873.aspx

WIN Jubilee Oval north western grandstand redevelopment delayed and won't be ready for Round 5.

Dragons Heritage Round Clash Against Bulldogs Relocated To SCG

17/03/2011 8:18:25 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons announced today that the Club has been required to relocate their Round 5 home game against the Bulldogs from WIN Jubilee Oval due to delays in the building works currently being undertaken as a result of $13 million funding support from the NSW State Government.
This fixture had originally been scheduled as the first home game of the Dragons 2011 season on Sunday, April 10 to be played in Kogarah; however delays in the building program have required the Club to source an alternate venue and the Club has determined to move this fixture to the Sydney Cricket Ground.
“It is unfortunate that we are not going to be able to play this game at WIN Jubilee Oval as planned but these circumstances are unavoidable,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.

Untitled-2.jpg

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.a...round-clash-against-bulldogs-relocated-to-scg

beave

Coach
I loved going to both Wollongong and Kograh when I lived in Sydney in the late 90's ealy 2k's.

Those upgrades are going to make those stadiums absolutely brilliant, they are both long over due but better late than never I guess.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I'm itching for the day when I can get to Newcastle for a game. It would be tops for a Test I reckon.

Is there a bit of a game day tradition for being in the area Newc fans, pub crawls etc?

Goddo

Bench
Where to from here at Kograh Cheesie?
The Jubilee Ave end will have the old temporary seating there, so I guess some sort of terracing or seating at the Eastern side English Street end, or at the Jubilee end?

The English Street gate and facilities are very hodge podge. I'd love to see that corner leveled and rebuilt with standing room terraces similar to a German soccer ground, with facilities under it, and the historic scoreboard retained, but elevated from its current position.

Whats in that corner all together? The old crappy toilets, a electric substation, 2 bars and food shop... sorting that mess out, increasing standing room capacity and facilities there would be the next thing to fix. most of the Eastern hill should be left for a large scale grandstand development in future.

I'd also love to see that Chinese restaurant and day care on English Street levelled.

MEE.

Juniors
Nobo
Jubilee is a good stadium.

Thank god we didn't get the world cup, no body was interested in it and it shows by the A-league crowds getting smaller and smaller each year.
What a stupid comment.

Nobody was interested in kayaking, judo, water polo etc prior to the 2000 Olympic but people came out in their droves. I remember going to the gold medal football match, there was 110,000 people there.

BunniesMan

Immortal
NRL should ban games in stadiums less than 25k capacity. Force government to invest in our game or threaten to move the games.

Where to from here at Kograh Cheesie?
The Jubilee Ave end will have the old temporary seating there, so I guess some sort of terracing or seating at the Eastern side English Street end, or at the Jubilee end?

The English Street gate and facilities are very hodge podge. I'd love to see that corner leveled and rebuilt with standing room terraces similar to a German soccer ground, with facilities under it, and the historic scoreboard retained, but elevated from its current position.

Whats in that corner all together? The old crappy toilets, a electric substation, 2 bars and food shop... sorting that mess out, increasing standing room capacity and facilities there would be the next thing to fix. most of the Eastern hill should be left for a large scale grandstand development in future.

I'd also love to see that Chinese restaurant and day care on English Street levelled.

When these works are delived I hope the club and the council sit down and develop a new masterplan for the next 10 years. Conceivably there should be two new stages for development.

Stage 4 - $10-15m southern terrace.
Stage 5 - $20-40m eastern grandstand.

Stage 4 - Southern Terrace
Single tier terraces, similar scale to existing Northern Terrace, on either side of the Gate D, but including a roof and with concession and toilet facilities built under the seating on the eastern side.

Stage 5 - Eastern Grandstand
Single or two tier grandstand built over existing eastern hill.

gUt

Coach
NRL should ban games in stadiums less than 25k capacity. Force government to invest in our game or threaten to move the games.

Yeah those big Sydney grounds look so spotlessly clean, all those empty seats really give the game a good look.

andrew057

First Grade
Does anyone have any pictures of the new energy australia western grandstand from the inside of the stadium?

The 18th Man

Juniors
I love the old grounds, the Henson Parks, the North Sydney Ovals, Kogorah, Leidchardt Oval, Brookie etc. With that said, I love Suncorp Stadium, Robinaand the SFS. I always enjoy WIN Stadium too. I haven't had the pleasure of attending a game at the Storm's new stadium though that should be a model for the future of game. Love it. Looks to have an English style atmosphere to it (those who have attended Super League or EPL games know what I am talking about).

Goddo

Bench
When these works are delived I hope the club and the council sit down and develop a new masterplan for the next 10 years. Conceivably there should be two new stages for development.

Stage 4 - $10-15m southern terrace.
Stage 5 - $20-40m eastern grandstand.

Stage 4 - Southern Terrace
Single tier terraces, similar scale to existing Northern Terrace, on either side of the Gate D, but including a roof and with concession and toilet facilities built under the seating on the eastern side.

Stage 5 - Eastern Grandstand
Single or two tier grandstand built over existing eastern hill.

You are right, a Southern Terrace is probably next to be done. Makes the most sense. Putting a roof on it and the Northern Terrace isn't a bad idea either.

But an Eastern Grandstand at $40m is very cheap. depends I guess on how long it is, and if its two tiers or not. But assuming its 2 tiered with a roof spanning try line to try line, I'd say it would be closer to $40-50m, especially if its going to have food/bar/corporate/function facilities. Would need an elevator or two, probably a service elevator...

It would also probably require land to be taken from the park, and another gate to be built halfway along the hill for the new grandstand. Probably would need extensive footings and work on the retaining wall. Maybe issues with drainage too.

It is a great ground, and should be expanded to around 27k capacity. Down to politics I guess.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yeah those big Sydney grounds look so spotlessly clean, all those empty seats really give the game a good look.
The answer isn't to play in tiny stadiums to artificially make a better atmosphere. The answer is to have short/medium/long term plans to drastically improve our crowds. They are nowhere near good enough.

We boast about our tv numbers but when we get consistently screwed in the tv deals and with clubs still crying poor the focus should be on growing crowds. Not sticking our heads in the sand and playing in 20th century antiques.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Is the finance for jubilee ovals next stages in place or do they have to go back and lobby for it as each stage is finished? WIN will look a decent ground when its finished as well.

Newcaslte will be a cracking ground when its down, hopefully with the knights start to the season they will fill it out in RD4.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is that the last stand to develop at Newcastle? 33k would make it in the top 4 RL grounds in the country wouldn't it? (Not counting cavernous ANZ which is a poor club ground imo)

You are right, a Southern Terrace is probably next to be done. Makes the most sense. Putting a roof on it and the Northern Terrace isn't a bad idea either.

But an Eastern Grandstand at $40m is very cheap. depends I guess on how long it is, and if its two tiers or not. But assuming its 2 tiered with a roof spanning try line to try line, I'd say it would be closer to $40-50m, especially if its going to have food/bar/corporate/function facilities. Would need an elevator or two, probably a service elevator...

It would also probably require land to be taken from the park, and another gate to be built halfway along the hill for the new grandstand. Probably would need extensive footings and work on the retaining wall. Maybe issues with drainage too.

It is a great ground, and should be expanded to around 27k capacity. Down to politics I guess.

Keep in mind the Andrew Johns (eastern) Grandstand at Newcastle which has more than sufficient food/bar/corporate/function facilities etc only cost $32m and is probably too big for Kogarah in any case. Eastern grandstands by their nature are much less expensive than western ones because they don't have to contain all the fitouts related to player, coach and media facilities.

Is that the last stand to develop at Newcastle? 33k would make it in the top 4 RL grounds in the country wouldn't it? (Not counting cavernous ANZ which is a poor club ground imo)

The two ends are still available for development, although given the failure of the World Cup bid I don't think there are any plans or finances in place to proceed with anything there.

Panfas

Juniors
How would you feel if the government were to build a purpose built RL ground out of the Homebush site? As we all know, they are spending millions on upgrading the showground but there is still no dedicated RL ground. If something like below were to be built in the future then we will have 82,500 ANZ stadium for all sports, 25,000 Showground for aerial ping pong and cricket and 50,000 for RL/soccer

Would you attend more games at Homebush if something like this were to be built?

* Please excuse the dodgy image, it was done in MSpaint!

S.jpg

Latest posts