What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Jason Maher

Immortal
I hope they don't stick a stand on the southern end. I like the line of palm trees looking out over the water. Makes the stadium unique.

Because I don't have anything better to do, summary of developments in NRL stadiums the past few years.

Toyota Stadium, Woolooware - new southern stand, renovations and improvements to ET and Peter Burns stands, new score board.

Skilled Park, Robina - brand new $160m flatpack stadium

Brookvale Oval, Brookvale - $10m refurbishment, plans for new eastern side stands with future funding.

AAMI Park, Melbourne brand new $268m stadium

EnergyAustralia Stadium, Broadmeadow - brand new $32m eastern grandstand with a new $60-66m western grandstand under construction. North and south hills partially concoursed and corporate suites added.

Mt Smart Stadium, Penrose - new $21m eastern stand

Dairy Farmers Stadium, Kirwan - extension of the eastern grandstand.

Parramatta Stadium, Parramatta - no significant works since 2002/03 replacement of the end hills with terraces. Plans developed for southern stand extension, not yet funded.

Penrith Stadium, - Major improvements to western grandstand in 2006. Work proposed for upgrade of southern hill amenities. Southern grandstand works planned but never funded adequately.

WIN Stadium, Wollongong - Works currently under way for $29m new western grandstand and southern grandstand upgrade. Other minor upgrade works performed in southern grandstand (circa $2m).

WIN Jubilee Oval, Carlton - Stages 1 ($8m) and 2 ($12m) complete and Stage 3 ($13m) under way of Master Plan. Master plan involves: stadium lighting, new full circumference concourse seating, new northern terrace, southern and northern extensions of western grandstand, amenities upgrades, new scoreboard and video screen.

Sydney Football Stadium, Moore Park - Additional capacity through extending lower tiers further into field space and extension of upper tiers. New video screen.

Campbelltown Stadium, Leumeah - Upgrade to western grandstand, additional concourse seating, new video screen.

Leichhardt Oval, Leichhardt - Refurbishment of western grandstand, new bucket seating around concourse, refurbishment of wooden grandstand, expansion of corporate spaces in main grandstand.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I hope they don't stick a stand on the southern end. I like the line of palm trees looking out over the water. Makes the stadium unique.

I'm not sure if they could fit a stand there anyway. Id be interested to know if they left enough room in case they wanted to expand it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm not sure if they could fit a stand there anyway. Id be interested to know if they left enough room in case they wanted to expand it.
As stated in most of the posts I've made in the last 12 hours - there are about to be a number of significant developments across the Gosford Waterfront which may involve moving of the Highway behind the southern end which would therefore offer the possibility of expansion of a stand. Even the current space would probably allow for one tier of seating if necessary.

Perth Red

Post Whore
you can make an end stand pretty steep there by requiring little footprint

155kpr9.jpg

GCR

Juniors
As stated in most of the posts I've made in the last 12 hours - there are about to be a number of significant developments across the Gosford Waterfront which may involve moving of the Highway behind the southern end which would therefore offer the possibility of expansion of a stand. Even the current space would probably allow for one tier of seating if necessary.

There's next to no chance of the waterfront redevelopment going ahead and even if it does, there's absolutely no chance of the highway being moved. Or are you suggesting they'll move the Brian McGowan Bridge too :lol:

juro

Bench
Would it be possible to have the stand built over the top of the road, with the road effectively going through a tunnel?

Timmah

Staff member
There's next to no chance of the waterfront redevelopment going ahead and even if it does, there's absolutely no chance of the highway being moved. Or are you suggesting they'll move the Brian McGowan Bridge too :lol:
Do you actually know anything about Gosford? :lol:

GCR

Juniors
Yes, I obviously know a lot more about Gosford than you. Do you have any idea about Gosford City Councils's past history with redeveloping anything? Do you have any idea where the Central Coast Highway is in relation to the stadium, and how much it would cost to move it at all? You're a fool.

GCR

Juniors
Would it be possible to have the stand built over the top of the road, with the road effectively going through a tunnel?

It'd cost heaps, would look crap and would ruin the stadium. The only expansion that will ever happen is a second level on the northern stand.

Timmah

Staff member
Yes, I obviously know a lot more about Gosford than you. Do you have any idea about Gosford City Councils's past history with redeveloping anything? Do you have any idea where the Central Coast Highway is in relation to the stadium, and how much it would cost to move it at all? You're a fool.
Given I live and work there, yes.

You do realise only 15/20-odd years ago the highway went through the city and it was only then that they built the Brian McGowan Bridge over the water. Only a small portion of the bridge actually interferes with any stadium redevelopment plans anyway.

Regardless, if you're not up to speed what's happening with the developments around Gosford and some of the announcements made in the last month or so, then you should probably reserve comment. If you did know, you'd be aware that Lend Lease, not Gosford Council, have the contract for the redevelopment of Gosford waterfront.

And no, i had no idea how much it would cost... here I was thinking it'd all be done for free :sarcasm: :lol:

GCR

Juniors
Given I live and work there, yes.

You do realise only 15/20-odd years ago the highway went through the city and it was only then that they built the Brian McGowan Bridge over the water. Only a small portion of the bridge actually interferes with any stadium redevelopment plans anyway.

Regardless, if you're not up to speed what's happening with the developments around Gosford and some of the announcements made in the last month or so, then you should probably reserve comment. If you did know, you'd be aware that Lend Lease, not Gosford Council, have the contract for the redevelopment of Gosford waterfront.

And no, i had no idea how much it would cost... here I was thinking it'd all be done for free :sarcasm: :lol:

I've lived there longer than you, champ, so I've got a pretty good idea of what's going on. What do you propose they do, redirect the bridge at the halfway point so that it goes over the water, just so they can chuck an extra stand on the stadium :lol: Or are you actually proposing that they scrap the bridge and go back to having the traffic go through Donnison Street? In any case, your grand plans for the stadium would could a couple of hundred mill, so not gunna happen sorry!

And it doesn't matter who's contracted to redevelop the waterfront, it's not happening any time soon. Take a look around the next time you're in Gosford, the council doesn't exactly like change.

dannyboy

Juniors
...there are about to be a number of significant developments across the Gosford Waterfront which may involve moving of the Highway behind the southern end which would therefore offer the possibility of expansion of a stand....

So the highway is potentially going to move to accomodate the potential to increase the capacity of a stadium to be used by a team that will potentially exist. Sounds like a potential waste of money

Smiley

Bench
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2011/01/28/146765_local-news.html

Operation Stadium: new vision unveiled

GOSFORD'S Bluetongue Stadium has been established as the benchmark for a new rectangular stadium in Cairns.
The Gosford stadium was discussed at the first meeting of the Cairns Business and Sporting Group which is creating a sports vision for the Far North.

It comes as a $100,000 study into the city's need for a new stadium was given the go-ahead at a Cairns Regional Council meeting yesterday, with results due by about August, and the arrival of the Queensland Reds for their blockbuster Super 15 rugby union trial game against the Canterbury Crusaders at Barlow Park on Saturday.

The group was established by Federal Member for Leichhardt Warren Entsch last month and includes business, tourism and sports leaders.

It is fast-tracking a costed tropical sports plan to be presented to a Federal Government group in March.

The meeting was told Bluetongue was an ideal venue which was built in 2000 at a cost of $28 million and has staged major international and national sports and large scale concerts.

The three-sided stadium seats 20,059 spectators and is home to the Central Coast Mariners soccer team.

The group also discussed:

A SUGGESTION to move athletics from Barlow Park to Smithfield and Edmonton to make the creation of a rectangular stadium easier.

RELOCATING the Townsville-based NQ Fury soccer team to Cairns.

ADDING more business and sports leaders to the group.

The meeting decided to "get cracking” on the plan which they hope will form part of Regional Development Australia’s five-year Far North road map of projects to stimulate the region's economic, environmental and social development in March.

Mr Entsch, who is standing aside from the group to be chaired by Shangri-La Hotel general manager Rob Weeden, said he had met Regional Development Minister Simon Crean who supported the group and urged him to present the plan to the RDA which would lobby for funds.

The plan is based on a four-year-old document prepared and costed by group patron John O’Brien who gifted the plan to the group.

He said it was critical the stadium be multi-purpose, not just for sport, but for other events, including concerts and trade shows.

Mr O’Brien said it needed to have a sense of community ownership.

Mr Entsch said the group’s plan was for fully costed staged projects that could be funded over a 10 year period.

He said there were shovel-ready projects ready to go, including the next stages of the multi-million dollar hockey redevelopment at North Cairns, a roof over four of the centre courts at the regional tennis centre and the next three stages of the $19 million Cazaly’s stadium upgrade.

Deputy Mayor Margaret Cochrane is to be invited to be part of the group, as well as Kevin Maher (cricket), Denis Donaghy (basketball), Ross Steele (convention centre) and Chris Collins (soccer).

Rugby league representative John Moore said, while the group had discussed bringing NQ Fury to Cairns because there were too many national sporting teams competing for the same audience and dollar in Townsville, the problem was the lack of a rectangular stadium in Cairns.

He said league, rugby union and soccer in the Far North had joined forces to promote the stadium construction at Barlow Park and involve the closure of Scott St and the use of part of the city’s showground.
Could we see a 6-6 split between Cairns and Townsville for the Cowboys in the future?

Billythekid

First Grade
So the highway is potentially going to move to accomodate the potential to increase the capacity of a stadium to be used by a team that will potentially exist. Sounds like a potential waste of money

I think there may be a bit of misinterpretation happening here.

I think what Timmah was saying is that the highway is going to be moved along with the lakefront changes. This has nothing to do with the stadium upgrade.

It just so happens that if this was to happen then the stadium could be upgraded.

I don't think he was suggesting that the highway would be moved just for the stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think if Cairns think they can build a 20k stadium for under $100mill they are deluded. One stand at NIB is costing close to $80mill!

I think if Cairns think they can build a 20k stadium for under $100mill they are deluded. One stand at NIB is costing close to $80mill!

A fairly basic 20k ground for $100m is about right.

Newcastle have got its two stands, with a combined capacity of more than 20k, for less than $100m.

That one stand in Perth is extremely expensive, up there with AAMI Park costs, which indicates it'll either be an equally impressive facility or that mining inflation has still very much an issue for Perth.

clarency

Juniors
I don't understand what all the discussion over Bluetongue upgrades is for... it doesn't need it. Not in the near future at least. I'd be very surprised if the attendance figures are up to 18-19k and if I am wrong on that the stadium will simply be full, which is always a nice look. The only circumstances that would call for upgrades to capacity would be consistent sell-outs over time... which I don't see happening for them any time soon.

As for the Cairns stadium... I think splitting the cowboys games between Townsville and Cairns is a good move for just about everyone...