What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

beave

Coach
I disagree.

The reason why Townsville works for the club is because it's central for everyone up here. You play half the games in Cairns and you can forget about people from Mt Isa, Bowen, Mackay attending because you've just added another 4 hours onto their trip.

clarency

Juniors
I wouldn't expect them to be attending matches played in Cairns, just like I wouldn't expect people in Sydney to travel to Wollongong to watch games at WIN (They'd just watch them at Kogorah instead).

What it will hopefully do is allow more people in Cairns (and surrounding towns) to attend games which will potentially boost fan numbers (in turn, memberships) and also gives the current fans in those areas a break from having to travel to Townsville each week.

What this will do to attendances in Townsville is a bit tricky though. With new games in Cairns it may lead to fans only attending Cairns matches and holding out on Townsville, which will reduce attendance figures. However, with less matches it can coerce more people into going as they may place a higher value on matches as there are now less of them.

If a stadium is going to built in Cairns I think it's worth experimenting with. Perhaps not an even 6/6 split but I'd like to see them try it out and see what happens.

beave

Coach
if it aint broke, don't fix it.

The last time we moved games to Cairns in 2000 the club lost money. Unless the city can guarantee the club won't lose money, 2 games max is about all I can see being moved there. Then you have to also look at the corporate side of things, you have to then give the companies that have boxes in Tvl a reduced rate, but then you have to make up the money from the Cairns venture, it's not as easy to move a substantial amount of games as it first seems. I understand we have to spread the love of the club with a big area, but at the same time the club needs to maximise it's revenue streams in order for all of us to actually have a club into the future.

On a lesser note, DFS needs upgrades, if we start moving games away it gives less clout to efforts in getting a roof around the joint and a new western stand. I love DFS but she needs some major tarting up, I'm sick of getting rained on for 3-5 games a year with the cowboys and about half the Fury season as well.

dgsfan

Juniors
FMD that stadium is a sh*t hole! NRL teams should not be playing out of ovals! That kind of includes ANZ. I wish we got the world cup. They were gonna make it a proper rectangular field.

BDGS

Bench
Jubilee is a good stadium.

Thank god we didn't get the world cup, no body was interested in it and it shows by the A-league crowds getting smaller and smaller each year.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Kogarah's looking fantastic. Are there more planned developments in the future? Looking at that photo the grandstand could easily extend around the northern end, replacing the terraces.
Not so sure about the southern end though, Jubilee avenue is too close. Plenty of room behind the hill also to one day construct a grandstand, although that would be a LONG way off yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
great the're working on it but wow that picture isn't very flattering! What century is it?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The side elevation for the new East and West stands at NIB. Still some debate about which will get built first:

180281_1874166852695_1196907613_32327976_7148259_n.jpg

Kogarah's looking fantastic. Are there more planned developments in the future? Looking at that photo the grandstand could easily extend around the northern end, replacing the terraces.

The terraces are only a few years old, they're not going anywhere. Unlikely that council would approve any significant further encrouchment on the public park area of Kogarah Park.

Not so sure about the southern end though, Jubilee avenue is too close. Plenty of room behind the hill also to one day construct a grandstand, although that would be a LONG way off yet.

At the time the master plan was developed (the current development is the final stage of the master plan) a possible future development on the southern hill was considered the next stage of the upgrade. I think a small uncovered stand similar to the northern terrace is most likely, but past concept plans have shown a small covered stand, so it's a possibility:

8d1b25f4.jpg

I think that once this development is completed the club and Kogarah Council will proceed with developing a new master plan which will include developments on the southern and eastern hills.

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench
both NIB and Kogarah have the same problems, a footprint [small on modern standards] that makes it expensive to expand because you need to go 'up' not 'out' to increase capacity and surronded by suburbia willing to complain about noise/any noise/traffic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
wish the WA Govt had shown some vision and built both new stadiums at Burswood, would have been great and really brought that part of the city to life. oh for visionary leaders!

Red Bear

Referee
Who needs parking if there is decent public transport?

(Is there decent public transport? It seemed good in inner Perth when i was there but sure how far NIB is from the city).

Perth Red

Post Whore
parking in streets around including some car parks. Public transport is ok wth train station 10mins from ground (look to the right of the stadium next to the sandy block, that is East Perth train station). Best bet is train into city, short walk to Northbridge, few beers in Brass monkey, 10 min walk to the Brisbane, few more beers, 5 min walk to stadium.

In the new plan I noticed they have included an area for buses for pick up and drop off so reckon they ar looking at improving the bus routes/special busses for game days.