What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

big hit!

Bench
The day most Sydney metropolitan clubs play their home games out of their districts will be a sad day for rugby league.

If an AFL-style generic 2 or 3 venue strategy is what the NRL are proposing, then an AFL-style homogeneous 9 teams they'll get that are just different in name and colour of strip.

pHyR3

Juniors
The day most Sydney metropolitan clubs play their home games out of their districts will be a sad day for rugby league.

If an AFL-style generic 2 or 3 venue strategy is what the NRL are proposing, then an AFL-style homogeneous 9 teams they'll get that are just different in name and colour of strip.

if that includes 35k averages then thats fine by me

ek999

First Grade

I have never heard one Melbourne AFL fan complain about the teams being homogenous. Bulldogs and Souths (and Parra and Tigers to a lesser extent) share a home ground and I've never heard anyone call them homogenous.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's fine for park footy. For a 21st century billion$ sport its embarrassing.

Having said that if done well they can be incorporated into a modern stadium without making the place look like a council oval. Newcastle have achieved it. I would like to have seen something similar in NQ design given they have the perfect climate for a grass hill.

The two tiered stadium situation is just a mirror of the emerging two tiered club wealth situation. Its no surprise the clubs playing out of grass hill grounds are also the poorest.

Jamberoo

Juniors
From memory, there wasn't a train station that close to AAMI, took ages lining up for a tram with 10,000 others. I could be wrong though.
Richmond station is about 400m away and services about half of Melbourne.
Or you could walk 10 - 15 minutes to the city and get a train anywhere including back to Sydney.
AAMI could be funded because it services three codes, (four clubs) and concerts.
It makes no sense to expand suburban Sydney grounds or build new ones.
Clubs that want to retain suburban venues should play all big games v other Sydney clubs at centralised stadiums, then, depending on how many games they retain, spend any money upgrading facilities, not expanding capacity.

Hills is for a pub sport not a professional sport. To the casual eye, rugby league looks like an amateur comp with the hills. Time to get into the 21st century for once rugby league.

Does it have more corporates? Sharks have them in both peter burns, et and the new stand where as AAMI only has them on each sideline from memory. Does aus stadiums have details on corportate facilities? No idea on better, never been in either.

I'd argue shark park has a great view from every seat (or part of the hill)

Shark park also has protection from the elements. 2/3 grand stands are roofed. The AAMI roof doesn't protect the seats down the front.

Better food and drink outlets? How?

I'd say shark park is a fairly convenient location for most shark fans.

From memory, there wasn't a train station that close to AAMI, took ages lining up for a tram with 10,000 others. I could be wrong though.

But yes, it does have fancy lights, you can have that one.

Probably has more. Aus Stadiums would have that shit dialled.

Shark Park is good from every seat unless you are on the beer hill, you cant see the big screen and one corner of the ground properly

Most stadium food is dross. i would rate melbournes marginally better.
they certainly have more and faster beer lines. but you cant buy a beer after the 60th minute in the game.

very convinient for sharks fans.
we also have a new agreement with the transport people in regards to trains etc

There is a station across the road from AAMI. about a 5 minute walk. i went there last year.

carcharias

Immortal
New big screen on family hill now RCB
You can see replays easily from anywhere.
So one at both ends.
Plus TV's in roof in Southern stand and all corps boxes.

pHyR3

Juniors
i disagree to some extent. i mean hills dont look 100% professional

but cricket has hills as well and no one argues that its not professional.

hills have a place, but when its at brookie or leichardt it does look a bit amateur. a hill on that new cows stadium could be built alongside a premium world class stadium and not look so amateur.

big hit!

Bench
I have never heard one Melbourne AFL fan complain about the teams being homogenous. Bulldogs and Souths (and Parra and Tigers to a lesser extent) share a home ground and I've never heard anyone call them homogenous.

Supporters of each Melbourne AFL club increasingly don't have a tie to the surrounding districts the club represents in their name. Centralisation has merely made it easy for someone in any part of the metropolitan to follow any club they want based on success or whether they like the colours. Half the Melbourne clubs are on their knees despite the greater number of attendees to matches in Melbourne due to the centralisation policy. Fandom for the already large and successful clubs such as Collingwood, Hawthorn & Essendon gets bigger because the atmosphere at their games in the larger stadiums are better, whereas the smaller clubs such as North Melbourne, Footscray & St Kilda continue to struggle to build a fan base. Financlially struggling clubs and stadium leases is a recurrent discussion in their game.

Home and away is a joke in the AFL. It doesn't exist for Melbourne clubs, but home games are a real advantage for interstate clubs. The NRL is heading that way. What we're getting are skewed Leagues which are losing the pure sporting competition element and merely focusing on aesthetics.

Contrast this with the policy of the English FA for London where strict (and difficult) approval is required for a club to move out of its home borough, and in particular, into another with an existing club. Furthermore, every club must play all their home matches in their one home stadium. As the map below of stadium locations and borough boundaries shows, clubs largely have their own patch, districts, communities. This fosters an us vs them and tribalism and passion for who you are that oz sports in the Sydney & Melbourne are losing from their Leagues

London-football-map-2014-15F.png

Canard

Immortal
Hills is for a pub sport not a professional sport. To the casual eye, rugby league looks like an amateur comp with the hills. Time to get into the 21st century for once rugby league.

The packed hill at the Willows looked great on Saturday night, it made the crowd feel a lot bigger than the piddly 17K that was there.

It really adds to the atmosphere of the game if done right.

morley101

Juniors
The packed hill at the Willows looked great on Saturday night, it made the crowd feel a lot bigger than the piddly 17K that was there.

It really adds to the atmosphere of the game if done right.

It was 1800 up against the same oppostion in 2014.

Will the crowd this week be better than 11,189 which watched Cowboys play Newcastle last year ?

Last edited:

Latest posts