What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

applesauce

Bench
Surely not seemed like it was a sure thing. What happened?

I may of been a bit preemptive. These were the last weeks reports.

22nd of April Townsville First councillors backflip on CBD stadium

23rd of April A perilous decision that defies belief

24th of April Business leaders urge Townsville First to change CBD stadium strategy

25th of April Money is for stadium only

The below article came out today, so good news.

Today Council to buy super stadium site in Townsville CBD

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Yeah i was livid over the weekend about it but it seems some sense has prevailed up in Tvl. I reckon someone up there must have told them to all(pollies and councillers) pull their heads in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only concern with a 65k Allianz would be the continued terrible look for the game of the regular 15-20k crowds rattling around in it. Bad enough ANZ making the game look like no one cares about watching it, do we want a second 70% empty stadium?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
i think we are underplaying the fact that the sydney entertainment centre is currently being bull dozed...

think of all the bands and artists who would want to use an under cover 60k seat stadium, with no rain issues calling of gigs...

SFS and Ed sheeran is $200 + a ticket, and sold out in a day

insert.pause

First Grade
looks like ANZ will get nothing and the NSW gov will purchase back the lease to ANZ Stadium for ~$100m to bypass seating restrictions for a new 65k seat stadium to be built to replace Allianz, and Pirtek will be upgraded to 30-35k seat stadium.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I went to a Phoenix game in Wellington last weekend, despite being an oval it's an excellent stadium with pretty good views from most vantage points. Decent food and bar facilities and great location too. An NRL side could do a lot worse.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
If the gov buys management rights to ANZ, that will spell the end of the subsidy to Sths Dogs etc to play at ANZ... they will probably develop Stadiums NSW based on the Stadiums QLD model... and we know how they go at billing

pHyR3

Juniors
If the gov buys management rights to ANZ, that will spell the end of the subsidy to Sths Dogs etc to play at ANZ... they will probably develop Stadiums NSW based on the Stadiums QLD model... and we know how they go at billing

difference is the NRL has so much more leverage in Sydney than in GC. where are the tits gonna play??

sydney can play in countless other stadiums from leichardt, campbo, anz, scg, sfs, brookie, penrith, shark park, win, kogarah, belmore.

hell the nrl and a few clubs could probably bank roll their own bloody 35-40k roofed stadium out west for tigers, dogs, parra, penrith and souths.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The only reason QLD teams are getting screwed over with their stadium deals is becasue Gallop left each to fight for themselves....

The VFLs Gold Coast team got a great deal because it was the VFL Commission at the table. I reckon DSmith and our Commission wont let the sydney teams get screwed around like Gallop did the Titans.

beave

Coach
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...rstadium-project/story-fnjfzs4b-1227329257617
641cb14d4819eb9d05b99ec8f653ead0_zpsrd57qgl5.jpg

A NEW concept for the Townsville superstadium with a 25,000-seat arena is being finalised

A NEW concept for the Townsville superstadium with a 25,000-seat arena is being finalised by the National Rugby League and is expected to be sent to the State Government in coming days.
MASTERPLANNING on a stadium and convention centre in Townsville’s CBD can start this month, with the State Government to make $5 million available for the project.

It comes after Townsville City Council this week voted to buy the site for the project, presenting a united front in support of an integrated stadium and convention centre.

Labor – which has committed $100 million to the project – was set to make $5 million available for masterplanning after the July Budget but will now allocate it immediately.

A spokeswoman for State Development Minister Anthony Lynham said preliminary design works had already started on the project.

The masterplan was expected to be completed by July 2016, but Townsville state Labor MP Scott Stewart said he hoped it would be done before then.

Mr Stewart said he welcomed the council’s move to buy the site for between $8-$12.5 million as well as Herbert federal LNP MP Ewen Jones’s commitment to lobby his federal colleagues for extra funds to masterplan the rest of the Ross Creek Priority Development Area.

“It’s fantastic – all three levels of government are now on the same page and talking the same language,” he said.

“I really applaud the way the local government has seen a much bigger picture. The stadium is more than just the stadium – it’s the piece of a much bigger puzzle.

“We all want the same thing – Townsville to kick on with jobs, get the economy moving and people investing in the place, and we just had different perspectives on how we will achieve that.

“The masterplan will give us the whole bigger picture and gives the opportunity for investors and developers to see where we’re going.

“It provides them with confidence that all three levels of government are working together now.”

Mayor Jenny Hill said the Government’s move was welcome when many businesses were laying off staff.

“I look forward to them beginning the masterplan process. It’s good they could find money,” she said.

“The Government is obviously looking for projects that will be signature projects and this is one of job creation and urban renewal and it is an important project for the city.”

Planning and Development Committee chair Tony Parsons said he wanted the council to be involved in the masterplanning for the stadium and convention centre.

“That is fantastic news. It certainly needs council’s input because council will in time bear the fruits of the masterplanning,” he said.

---------------------------------------------

Sounds like they were all told to pull their heads in or else risk losing all the cash. Glad some common sense has prevailed and it looks like it's back on track.

In a Nutshell for those who can't be bothered reading all the links applesauce posted yesterday, Thursday last week it came out that the Tvl councillors were not all in favour of this new stadium precinct and that a majority wanted the money that the state gov had pledged to go towards a new arts facility........ The federal member had been jawing off for a few weeks that he didn't support this new stadium and things were looking pretty dire. The state gov said it's a stadium or nothing and now it seems all the key people are on the same page and want this now. The local council is going to buy or aquire the land off Devine, the reason for this I am not sure, might put more weight behind the project. The development is more than just a stadium and entertainement complex, there will be development in th CBD along the Ross Creek. The Town needs some influx of work, has a pretty high un-employment rate and is in dire need of some economic stimulus.

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
If SFS was a knock down / rebuild, wonder where the roosters would play in the interim?

SCG full time?
Mixture of SCG and Gosford?
Maybe some games at Kogarah?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If SFS was a knock down / rebuild, wonder where the roosters would play in the interim?

SCG full time?

Yeh, i reckon itd be a blend of SCG (vs Souths, Dragons, etc) and gosford to really connect with the region and make it their own....

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Gosford/scg gets my vote. I think the club should be doing a block of games anyway at gosford. Say 4 in a similar arrangement to hawthorn in tassie

Von Neumann

Juniors
In regards to the stadiums being mentioned you can't tell me that this....

latest

...Signal Iduna Park..

doens't beat this on many levels....

levi-stadium-is-empty.jpeg

it does.

In terms of ticket prices too, something like a "yellow wall" terrace for cheap seats may be what sydney would desire for regular matches. The germans are sensitive to pricing. Sure, we may not use a terrace but its something to think about, given the cost of tickets.

Either way Signal is the far more intimate/close and atmospheric stadium. I dont dislike the way the american's build stadiums; i just think that something like new jerseys' Metlife is a lot better than Levi's. But at the end of the day westfalenstadion has trumped all-comers for 40 years.

It would require only slight tinkerings with the design for pitch size/sidelanes for camera's ect. And maybe we don't need large 'fan gathering' areas in the corners like Levi's (people dont seem to sit in their seats much). Levi's has it all, I guess, but in terms of spectator comfort/view and distance to pitch, there's a reason why its the best in the world, and voted so in all fan surveys time and time again.

Sure....stadia like wembly impress with their vastness, but if you can put 80k people into the smaller space like Signal, thats surely superior. (its only about 68k with the terrace converted). But I would have thought we'd follow a Metlife or Signal design rather than a Levi's. Unless the numbers don't add up.

But in terms of viewing, given thats the largest bugbear of people, I didn't think we should be compromising.

This is Metlife

metlife_stadium.jpg

While I like American stadia a lot, I dont think it compares for the intimacy that we crave in rugby league (eg Suncorp). The lower bowl at metlife and the rake overall is just obsencely revolting compared to Westfalen

Last edited:
Last season had the absolute pleasure of attending a few Benfica home matches and it was simply the best stadium experience I've had

Wouldn't at all mind a carbon copy of this Estadio de Luz

Timbo

Staff member
I said it about 20 pages ago, but I'll repeat myself here since there is a lot of beat up about Levi's Stadium. The new San Francisco stadium is not the one we should be copying. We should be looking at Houston's NRG Stadium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRG_Stadium

71,000 capacity with a retractable roof and awesome gradient:

reliant_top2.jpg

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In terms of stadiums structure, i dont think anything can top Lucas Oil Stadium!!

I never even imagined it could be replicated at Moore Park, but with this alleged boost im funding, it would be a great style to replicate.

2773541394_4bf56a4a67.jpg

Red Bear

Referee
I went to a Phoenix game in Wellington last weekend, despite being an oval it's an excellent stadium with pretty good views from most vantage points. Decent food and bar facilities and great location too. An NRL side could do a lot worse.
I was pretty impressed when I went there in January also, good atmosphere.

SCG full time?
Henson Park like 87 :sarcasm:

I'm a bit flumoxed that the SFS is a knock down job tbh, very good ground viewing wise. The focus on it combined with the new light rail though and it's location near some interesting and good food/beer/etc options is good. Still a long way to travel for alot of people.

SFS and Parra upgrade would be good though. You'd want quite a few games out of them though.

No stadium is complete without a massive HD screen running half the length of the field like AT&T (ala Cowboys Stadium).

As a sports fan though (as opposed to simply a league fan) who lives in the west, rather than blowing our entire load on something like the below, I'd prefer a new Parra stadium for the Eels/Wanders, and a roof on both ANZ and Alliance.

th

Latest posts