What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Desert Qlder

First Grade
My take from the article is that Chammas got a little too excited about the Levi's Stadium connection and spent a bit too much time copying and pasting from Wikipedia about features of the stadium.

I have no doubt the final design of any new stadium in Sydney would be vastly different. More important would be the notion of a new stadium have up to the minute technology, as Levi's does.

The most incredible element of the article is that substantial increase in public money now being made available. $1.3 billion is an eye-watering figure and would be more than enough for the city's needs.

I'm taking this as a vote of confidence from the NSW government in the NRL administration and what they propose to do.

Von Neumann

Juniors
really the best stadium in the world with no roof? I guess 49'ers fans are more hardy than RL fans or does it never rain in San Francisco? $1.2bill for a stadium without any roofing seems excessive.

levis-stadium.jpg

haha good point. I think its a good model though. the sun beating down on you would not be good. I'd say they'd be putting a roof on the stands, not a complete roof as per the SMH article, but 'A ROOF' at least.

Unless we're all getting soft, because back in the day at the cricket you could sit in the sun all day long. However they are making a stadium based on such a stadium.

Still, this is the greatest develolment in a long time. And the fact it could be 1.2B funding allocation.

I just jizzed in my pants. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

__

So what I did was jumped onto tinder and hit up some chicks in san fran. Like I went and got some first hand info from a true vixen.

"babe, wot do you think, you and me at the super bowl?"

Then later on I ask: "No roof, hon, you know what that means?"
"What?" (guys lol!, ready)!

"You'll be holding the umbrella for me :). Can you do that?"

Enter a period of her gushing over me and demanding to hear my australian accent. I guess her whole point of acting that way was to arrive at a place where I would in fact be very willing to hold the umbrella for her. Its so backwards you do question the decency of the planet.

So then she says its a hot ground and people dont even sit in their seats, and that its got some cool bars n things and you go there n watch the sport.

If we don't want empty seats I wonder if we should avoid that exact set up. But just look at the stands - those couple of chicks have no brain capacity for thinking like we do in this - they only care about comfort and a decent date, most likely a pash half way through and a guy who can make her giggle: in terms of the stands....::: they are arranged in a quality fashion - and throwing the corporates into one big block makes a lot of sense. In that way I guess you can build the stands unimpeded aesthetically, and maybe practically in terms of $$. Looking at the glass on each tier of these modern stadia --- or looking at how wembly's middle is a glass band (looks cruddy), is a step backwards. I prefer the american versions and these bowls.

And as we all may have guessed, if we can build Singal Iduna Park in sydney, lets not hesitate

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Update on the Cowboys stadium, it now looks dead in the water.

Based on what?

As for the 49ers stadium, by NFL standards their crowd attendances had been very mediocre prior to the opening of this stadium, so it would be interesting to see how they go after a few years after the "New Adelaide Oval" effect wears off.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
really the best stadium in the world with no roof? I guess 49'ers fans are more hardy than RL fans or does it never rain in San Francisco? $1.2bill for a stadium without any roofing seems excessive.

The "best stadium in the World" tag isn't being applied because of the construction, but rather because of the facilities available

The fact you can order food to come to your seat
Have relays for telco's every few seats so the internet speed is super fast even when the stadium is full
Have a big screen that can be seen by airline pilots 160 miles away
Have a treadmill at the bottom of a swimming pool

You know, all the important shit you need when deciding to go a game

juro

Bench
Give us a stadium with a good view of the ground, that is easy to get in and out of, that protects us from the worst of the weather, and we will be happy. We don't need screens that you can see from the moon. We don't need light speed wifi.

How hard can it be???

carcharias

Immortal
Give us a stadium with a good view of the ground, that is easy to get in and out of, that protects us from the worst of the weather, and we will be happy. We don't need screens that you can see from the moon. We don't need light speed wifi.

How hard can it be???

well according to a few in here
1) needs to be a 900 thousand seater
2) needs superluminal internet access so people can update facebook on avg 463 times per set of 6.
3) Must be a roof built from the front door of every supporters house that will keep them covered at all times on the journey to and from home and whilst at the game. At no time must a drop of water touch a supporter.
Under no circumstance should a supporter be subjected to any natural light what so ever.
4)All teams must play out of a the same stadium that is only conveniently located for the fans of 1 team.
5) every seat will have its own designated waiter .
6) Naked woman will hand out money during every video referee decision.

Then the NRL will be up to standard.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would suggest they are considering a new stadium if true. Surely even the nsw govt wouldn't be dumb enough to spend $1.2bill refurbing?

LineBall

Juniors
IF this new stadium is built in the city, would Souths consider moving back there? Would make more sense to have Rabbitohs, Roosters and Dragons playing in that area. The Tigers, Eels and Dogs could stay at ANZ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's a good reason the nrl has pumped in tens of millions into the lobbying/feasibility studies of Allianz future. They clearly see it as the future Sydney NRL stadium.

Sydney does t need two big stadium/sporting precincts, it would be better investing in one and developing its small outer suburban grounds to a high quality. Makes sense to build a 65k roofed new Allianz and either use ANZ for big events only like Wembley does or to pull the place down and use it for housing.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
IF this new stadium is built in the city, would Souths consider moving back there? Would make more sense to have Rabbitohs, Roosters and Dragons playing in that area. The Tigers, Eels and Dogs could stay at ANZ?

Theyd need to offer a good deal (the ANZ one is apparently great). But it could happen with ARLC reps on the board...

If not, the ARLC could like it to this extra funding they are offering clubs.

Von Neumann

Juniors
well according to a few in here
1) needs to be a 900 thousand seater
2) needs superluminal internet access so people can update facebook on avg 463 times per set of 6.
3) Must be a roof built from the front door of every supporters house that will keep them covered at all times on the journey to and from home and whilst at the game. At no time must a drop of water touch a supporter.
Under no circumstance should a supporter be subjected to any natural light what so ever.
4)All teams must play out of a the same stadium that is only conveniently located for the fans of 1 team.
5) every seat will have its own designated waiter .
6) Naked woman will hand out money during every video referee decision.

Then the NRL will be up to standard.

yeh, its quite funny too.

If we take a look at soccer stadia built 20-30 years ago - they have it all over rugby league grounds. We just need to avoid ovals in the middle of no where rather than fall into the trap of thinking minor "cool" things will draw people out to the ground.

You don't need whizz bang over decent seating, sightlines, and great transport to the stadium, and something that generates decent atmosphere.

Christ, good if its accurate!!

Nearly fell out of my chair here. The $1.2B actually makes everything SUPER EASY IF TRUE. Sydney will be set.

There's a good reason the nrl has pumped in tens of millions into the lobbying/feasibility studies of Allianz future. They clearly see it as the future Sydney NRL stadium.

Sydney does t need two big stadium/sporting precincts, it would be better investing in one and developing its small outer suburban grounds to a high quality. Makes sense to build a 65k roofed new Allianz and either use ANZ for big events only like Wembley does or to pull the place down and use it for housing.

In the best world we can imagine, ANZ just reduces capacity to 70ish, whatever, and make the thing a rectangle, adjust its seats, whatnot. I dont know, because ANZ is a bugbear in certain ways. Maybe it doesn't need touching, and either way I dont think it should get much money.

We should not worry about it, having Alliance in the city, and improved stadia elsewhere seems the way to go. Case in point:--> Just build them 25-38,000k -- and if its anything the article and general knowledge tell us, is that stadia get upgraded if they are required for larger events or warrant it.

So your carefully thought-out and future-proofed 25k -38k stadium could be significantly more in the future.

We do want the larger rebuilt Alliance I'd say with better transport over ANZ, and everyone could definitely use a better network of modern stadia. In terms of rugby league, we only need 80% full at worse 25k+ stadia to start with. What really would be good though would be stadia that are 30k seats. 30k seat ones would be most useful.

If you're planning on having a larger-attended match - people would then have a choice of going east to Alliance in the city or west to an altered homebush. However, other stadia around 40k seats could be throughout the city at any time too. I dont know what they plan on building.

Last edited:

Latest posts