What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Von Neumann

Juniors
The stadia people have posted since my post are fantastic. I'm familiar with benfica. That one is special indeed.

The new NFL ones are very good. A bit too open for my liking, and benfica comes with a pet hate of mine: curved stands at the top... Though for weight and construction it makes a lot of sense.

So to my mind we need something more square and less open. But either way the new stands will be well worth it.

I too was both shocked and delighted about the extra money and a newly built ground. Its the best option by a long way. I'm sure too other grounds will get done.

You could probably build a signal iduna for 500m. Parra may just need a new stand like st James park in Newcastle and matching roof line around a joining design like old Trafford.

A new flat pack would be good elsewhere. I've always liked white heart lane and ones like it, and King power stadium.

If they are going to make them that big like the nfls they may not as well bother. The beauty of a slightly smaller signal iduna park is how close you are to the field of play..... .. So we're really in need of something about the size of the sfs with nothing but stands making up its usable surface area, steeper stands in a smaller space with modern trappings.

In that sense you could take NRG and add Iduna park to it, bring it in close and wack on a roof. I don't think we need a lower bowl. It just needs the four huge rectangle stand treatment and some fill in.

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
I said it about 20 pages ago, but I'll repeat myself here since there is a lot of beat up about Levi's Stadium. The new San Francisco stadium is not the one we should be copying. We should be looking at Houston's NRG Stadium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRG_Stadium

71,000 capacity with a retractable roof and awesome gradient:

reliant_top2.jpg

And what surface do you propose the game is played on. The grass field at NRG is just about the most despised in the NFL.

Barring a retractable field ala uni of pheonix, you're looking at a plastic field.

Timbo

Staff member
I think the NRL will move to fieldturf at some point so why not?

Or the Phoenix solution. It's hardly insurmountable.

Von Neumann

Juniors
NRG is a 750+ million dollar stadium.

Do you want to upgrade parra as well or have a pissing contest

They have a large stadium already with the bells and whistles out in the west. Its a cavern and people complain relentlessly about it. They need seats and corporates max 65k. Think more suncorp. It needs to be intimate but big.

Compare sitting at signal iduna in the cheap seats to that vast bowl. Night and day.

It doesn't need too much height or cool sheet haha, its a medium ground. Just a wall of seats and corp boxes, no extra materials really. It needs to differentiate from anz and NRG is also multi purpose. We want a rectangular only ground. You want everything other than concerts saying they can't use it

To get that design with the height they've bowed out the center for support much like wembly. No bowls. The MCG stands put that to shame. Can you imagine all the stuff they crammed in under the stands. Its a different class of stadium to the one being built. By the time you work out the distances and angles from any given point you'll have an inferior viewing experience.

The purpose of the new sfs is to house 6 or 7 club teams. Yeh you need corp facilities ala the new arsenal ground v the old to rake in money. No you don't need a 20 story corporate paradise with restaurants ect at the expense of quality viewing.

Things like NRG function as the states main stadium. You won't build a new sfs for the money and get the value you would otherwise get for an entire city like Sydney

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
well NRG is certainly the largest NFL stadium in Houston. In terms of stadiums in texas it is at best 5th largest.

Any new stadium in sydney doesnt need to be any bigger than suncorp. Honestly it needs to be no bigger than the SFS that with a refurb would be a very decent venue.

Then maybe something along the lines of the stadium in dunedin out west.

But then everyone plays out of SFS, stadium west and ANZ.

pHyR3

Juniors
well NRG is certainly the largest NFL stadium in Houston. In terms of stadiums in texas it is at best 5th largest.

Any new stadium in sydney doesnt need to be any bigger than suncorp. Honestly it needs to be no bigger than the SFS that with a refurb would be a very decent venue.

think he's talking about australian sized states, not texas sized states i.e. 27 million people

Von Neumann

Juniors
think he's talking about australian sized states, not texas sized states i.e. 27 million people

Thanks for pointing that out. I knew there's a few to pick from. Unclear from me in that it would get used for many events not just NFL so it could be a go-to stadium for a wide variety of events. Whereas the one in Sydney should be a football only venue. As awesome as NRG is, a stadium that multiply cool and that vast is not what Sydney needs. The new sfs will have several football teams to use it from multiple codes so it needs to be tight.

However I could be wrong. But I'm doubtful

Glad I'm thinking in a way like someone else. This seems sensible to me. A real football stadium for use by football teams, 60-65k or so

Last edited:
Why does the new stadium have to be at Moore Park at Sydney's far East?

It's a prick of a place to get to.

And I'd wager most RL fans live anywhere but.

Rip down ANZ.

Re-do it as a proper venue with all the mod-cons.

And improve the public transport to the venue.

Von Neumann

Juniors
Some of Americas Bowl stadiums are terrible, hey....

When ANZ was first opened, i thought they had tried to emulate one of those.

Correct and that's why they stopped building the old style. Don't know how they still do it

People may get tired of me pointing to signal iduna but the gradient and compact but large nature of the design is a great example of what I think they should soon for.

While I also like how tall the new San Fran and NRG are, I think its pointless to go that high when you can put people at better and lower (but not too low) angles to the pitch.

bottle

Coach

Rip down ANZ.

This is the optimal, but sadly seemingly unattainable, solution.

carcharias

Immortal
Someone mentioned the entertainment centre site.

That'd be perfect.
Piece of piss to get to on public transport .
Plenty of accom near by
Just a mid size one for bigish games.
30k - 40 k capacity
Put a roof for the soft merkins .

seanoff

Juniors
Someone mentioned the entertainment centre site.

That'd be perfect.
Piece of piss to get to on public transport .
Plenty of accom near by
Just a mid size one for bigish games.
30k - 40 k capacity
Put a roof for the soft merkins .

except the cost involved in closing or tunnelling the streets, buying out all the building owners etc would blow the cost into the scenery.

the site is far too small. if you had it north south it would run from paddys into the Chinese Garden, so across Pier St, thru the Novotel. and sideways across Harbour Street and knocking down everything into Dixon st.

i can't see that happening.

alien

Referee

Rip down ANZ.

what's wrong with the public transport to anz stadium now???

Von Neumann

Juniors
There's nothing wrong with the public transport to ANZ. But some people wouldn't mind it very much at all if there was a very swiftly moving escalator like those found in airports whisking them to their seat from the platform. People, huh! Yeah...

Why can't we replicate Allianz Arena or one of these others at the SFS site?

Allianz_Arena_World_Cup.jpg

I liken it very much to Suncorp stadium in certain ways

Paddington-Room-Suncorp-Stadium-Origin-Seats.jpg

Allianz_Arena_Munchen_wallpaper.jpg

And why aren't we holding up coloured squares very much here?

... And the Santiago stadium of real madrid. Now, thats cool.

bernabeu.jpg

Whats an entirely new suncorp worth with an extra bell and whistle and closed in, encirling top stand? 450M? You'd have plenty left over for parra and another surely.

If it were me (and its not) I would probably, well, ok, almost certainly use $600m for the New SFS as a limit. Then divide up the rest for the other stadia; which would be up for debate.

So if they are to get 1.2b I would seriously use 50% of that on the New SFS. If they are to get 600m I would use 450-480m (70-80%) on the New SFS.

Between those two options you may still be able to build a new stand at parra and give it a new roofline to match or boost it somehow else. And you may still be able to get public transport to the new SFS (if the money is for that as well, uncertain on that, and I guess the cost to knock down the old one)

And any other monies anyone else is chipping in would really help too. Maybe there is a spare 250-300 million to build a stadium like the one on the gold coast that the titans use. Or similar, eg AAMI park, Melbourne.

art-------------620x349.jpg

There'd be no cheap garden-variety "rakes" in that lot. But the above just doesn't cut it. But ANZ does have other redeeming qualities. Im not sure if it should be knocked down though. But if thats deemed I doubt we would shed a tear so much. If it stands and is made a rectangle it will be a useful stadium I suppose.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
except the cost involved in closing or tunnelling the streets, buying out all the building owners etc would blow the cost into the scenery.

the site is far too small. if you had it north south it would run from paddys into the Chinese Garden, so across Pier St, thru the Novotel. and sideways across Harbour Street and knocking down everything into Dixon st.

i can't see that happening.

So there you go

Leave it as is

With the only ground capable of handling a cyclone being shark park.

what's wrong with the public transport to anz stadium now???

Well, if you're gonna rip the whole joint down you might as well make sure the public transport from across Sydney to ANZ is the best it can be.

Let me know your game day public transport experiences and I'll note it when I submit my report to Bairdy.

Personally, I drive and get free parking. So ANZ is the perfect destination for me. However, I do agree that it is a soulless dive when sprinkled with fans and the seats taper away too far.

cleary89

Coach
For anyone coming from st george or cronulla area's it's 3 trains to ANZ. Not too many people want to catch 6 trains to watch a football match.

Latest posts