What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Timbo

Staff member
Looks good. Probably still one venue short. If those two plus the proposed Blacktown stadium came to fruition we'd be cooking.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Well with Parramatta and Homebush being relatively close to each other by Sydney standards, compared to the wide spread of our 14 professional football teams, then I would argue yes.

Oh, fair enough....

It sounded like you were complaining about Parra being too far from the city.

JonnoM

Juniors
What an absolute joke

-Firstly,who is going to call the new 65k stadium home and who will fill it?
-How will they fix the transport problems that already plague Moore Park
-Some people complain about railway to ANZ(which has a station 100m from the Stadium),what are they going to do with Moore Park?
-If no more investment goes into Homebush,are the West Tigers,Penrith and Bulldogs going to have their home ground at Parramatta?
-Depsite the concerns on Homebush,it provides the best attendances and best income for the home clubs than any other ground in Sydney,and(despite the "6 trains to get to Homebush rubbish" has the best transport links of any sporting venue in NSW.
-WTF is a $100million Multi purpose arena for Moore Park?
In other words,another Entertainment Centre,which confuses the s*** out of me considering the demoilition of the Ent Centre in the heart of the city and the existence of the best indoor arena in Australia at Homebush.
-$100m to build an arena at Moore Park that no one wants or needs,plus another $150mill to buy out ANZ,which if the waited 15 years,will get for FREE anyway.
FFS ,thats $250 mill!...The same $250 mill that ANZ asked for for the $350mill upgrade!

This while thing just reeks of the powerbrokers at the SCG Trust having way too much political say in something that needs a neutral perspective.

If this goes ahead,this will f*** the Sydney sporting landscape forever

Last edited:

JonnoM

Juniors
In other words
-$400 million stadium at Parramatta that only Parramatta Eels and WSW will be calling it their home ground
-$800 million Stadium at Moore Park,with ZERO rail access with only Roosters and Waratahs calling it their home ground,in an area that has huge noise control regulations for local residents
-$100 million Multi Purpose Arena not required or requested by any sporting organisation or Entertainment consortium
-A payout of $150mill to ANZ for a venue that will be handed back FREE to the NSW public in 2030.
-A guaranteed loss of the most centrally located sporting faciltity in the Sydney Metro area

Von Neumann

Juniors
How does this advance the centralized Stadium policy that the state government has been pushing? We will still have the same geographical coverage, no roof added to any of them, but be $1.2b out of pocket.

Good question. But having ANZ under its wing, is the first extra. Then having 2 modern facilities recently built and both with transport, one in the city, and one out west (along with ANZ=3) is the next advantage.

So they will have an 80+, a 60+ and a 40ish stadium.

And when you factor in that no other stadia for rectangles will come close to those in the city for a long time thats pretty good if you ask me. Manly intend to get something thats 25ish, and cronulla is capped at 20ish. Wests are meant to be getting a new stadium done by the council or something, but that won't approach 35-40. It could even end up being a part of the centralisation policy thing.

In fact the sydney stadiums group/govt have 3 stadiums in the center line of the city basically. Any other stadium will not stack up to that. So in terms of mass use this is a win for the people. Now, ticket prices. hmmm

Yeah I'm struggling with that idea too.

happens all the time that a stadium becomes 'ancient' after just 20 years. Some age better than others.

Look at the Superdome in the south of america. Awesome, futuristic extravagant stadium built in the 70s. Yes, its still awesome now, i mean just look at its stands. Its a marvel of architecture too. World famous. In 2015 its no where near the bleeding edge.

So there's one clear example of something thats modern but ancient; yet that particular stadium is still useful. SFS, given the wider city's needs, is not useful in the way that the Superdome is useful. Both are still ancient. And in actual fact the Superdome has received 100s millions dollars worth of upgrades.

20120923-222052.jpg

^Ancient, but super cool still, stadium. Can't stand against modern stadia from other cities in america though - albeit in a country where they continually push the edge of stadia features. In fact, if you look at the stadia trend in the US, and around the world, the space they take up generally is only increasing. They are shoving more crap into them, like an entertainment hub, restaurants and souvenir stores. The facades are more elaborate (though superdome is just brilliant), and things like technology and crazy little things like organic gardens, blah blah.

10166942-essay.jpg

This is why I said to seanoff earlier, as the trend is to add size and area coverage, you need more materials, and you need more foundations and steel and concrete to hold up the extra size generally, then they want to use more fancy materials.......marble, great timber, they want the finishes to be fantastic.

i made the distinction between something like a cheapy (but useful) stadium like the Gabba, versus something like found over seas, or the MCG versus superdome, or madison square gardens.

The point being, while new SFS will probably be ultra modern, it won't be I'd wager as ridiculous as some of those stadia in america in terms of the trappings. All that stuff in terms of viewing is nonsense.

And then, finally, comes labour. Labour costs in melbourne v brisbane and sydney and houston or new york are way different; or labour on one site versus another is way different. I think sydney will get something awesome and fitting for its money....

and by no means do I think this stadium policy from the nsw govt is a fail. Its a winner.

In fact, those stands are ideal for a sydney stadium to my mind. It doesn't scream rectangle but they were highly functional and efficiently built, though the dome aspects proved expensive. These days they'd want to put all kinds of things in amongst them

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
Pirtek Stadium is a 25-30 minute walk from Parramatta Station. A walk that many people don't want to do especially at night and if they have kids. Parking in the area is atrocious.

If they build a 35,000 seat stadium then you need away to transport people to the ground from the station. For this light rail could be an option. Regardless of how they do it fans will have to make use of two different forms of transport. A thought that could turn a lot of fans of from attending. Like it or not some people like to or have a need to drive to the football so car parking would need to be looked at.

Giving up on ANZ Stadium in my opinion would be huge backward step for sport in Sydney. Geographically the stadium just about sits in the middle of Sydney. As a Souths season ticket holder who lives in the outer western suburbs I find it a hell of lot easier to get to ANZ for Souths home games then I would for the new stadium at Moore Park. If Souths are forced to return to that area then they are going to lose a lot of season ticket holders from the outer western suburbs.

Von Neumann

Juniors
ah, I guess roofs haven't been taken off the table yet. Although sounds like if they stick to $600m then the new Moore Park Stadium will be dead in the water.

If they stick to 600m they will probably just do light rail to sfs and give it a spruce up. and they would put one new larger stand in at parra. ANZ would remain the same and out of govt control.

They would fail their objectives. Im not so sure they want to let sydney stadia be like that for another 30 years.

These stadia will be used by 100s of thousands of people a year. I can't see why such large infrastructure in the systems we have in place here would be allowed to languish for so long. People go on about hospitals, ect, and they are important, but as a community we use stadia more. And 3 stadia combined increases those levels of importance. The entire idea won't work with 600m I'd wager.

Theyve gone over hospitals - its going to take more than 1.2b to make them incredible - if such a thing is even possible with the systems in place. So to my mind, hospitals need national attention and I dont want to be political at all, but studies were done, and probably more studies are needed, at another time, and this is not a battle between hospitals, schools and stadia at all. All need money, sure, but money and enough of it so that its effective, and a lot of lead up work. Its a non related issue. But at least with these stadia the community is solving some transport issues along the way.

Last edited:
happens all the time that a stadium becomes 'ancient' after just 20 years. Some age better than others.

Look at the Superdome in the south of america. Awesome, futuristic extravagant stadium built in the 70s. Yes, its still awesome now, i mean just look at its stands. Its a marvel of architecture too. World famous. In 2015 its no where near the bleeding edge.

Wasn't Hurrican Katrina the main reason major renos were done to the Superdome??

Von Neumann

Juniors
Wasn't Hurrican Katrina the main reason major renos were done to the Superdome??

I dont think so, maybe. It needed fixing after they found a hole in the roof and maybe there was water damage.

But as far as I know its helped in 3 or 4 hurricanes. After katrina maybe they figured they should add stuff so that it could be used safely for such a purpose. Finding a hole in the roof would bother me - hardly a safe structure! I think they spent several hundred million on it recently. Its only recently become mercedes arena

But its probably had upgrades to electronics and tv screens in the time since it was built. And if it had an upgrade after katrina which i guess it would have, then i think they want/wanted to also bring a superbowl to it.

I dont know but its probably cost another billion dollars since it was built. Hey I do know they put in bigger change rooms and more high paying suites. Im not sure if it was originally built with suites.

Actually, iirc, I was big on NFL and american baseball round that time. They were talking about upgrading it (because of all the new stadia since 1999, eg new york's - giants and yankees/mets, houstons/texas baseball and NFL) to something more modern. They felt it wasn't good enough. lol hard to believe! Then katrina came along and that was that. They had to anyway....in recent years I think because of the superbowl desire in 2013 "they had to anyway" too! haha

But its been very important to the city. An icon as well.

Crowd numbers are the concern of the stadium owner, not the sport. For funding the sport needs bums on seats in loungeroom in front of TV screens.

I think its a concern for everyone involved. Whats the point of buying a lounge chair if no one will sit and watch tv in it.

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
SCG is getting light rail.

ANZ sucks. Anything that gets rid of that shit hole quicker is a positive.

Raiderdave

First Grade
65K for a GF or Origin ?:sarcasm:
its not big enough
forget the ridiculous .... " multi sport venue " & spend that 100 million on an extra 10K seats on the new moore park venue
if we are playing our biggest games in a smaller venue ticket prices will soar

& the design for this new venue had better be the ants pants
theres plenty of great stadia to copy
steep gradient stands all around ... right over the action .. so trapping the noise even if its only half full & having it reverberate around the venue creating atmosphere unseen in Australia
can't wait :cool:

Brutus

Referee
What the f**k do they need this multi-sport venue for??

The SCG and this new stadium will be able to cater for all major footy codes and cricket.

Von Neumann

Juniors
What the f**k do they need this multi-sport venue for??

The SCG and this new stadium will be able to cater for all major footy codes and cricket.

Beginning to wonder myself. Maybe the cost to make the stadium do all they could would cost more than an extra 100 million. By the time they factor in making money back the two venues may be required. It also ties in with keeping the football stadium purely a football thing. Not all stadiums are great for concerts and things like that. So would seem they want a true stadium rather than an 'arena'. In this way you can do more events.

But also maybe its to fill in the need or match the fact that there's an arena over at homebush, allphones Arena.

And ok, I dont fully love everything the SCG Trust dreams up. So Im entirely leaning neutral or negative about an Arena there. I reckon put the 100m into one of the stadiums or the light rail. But then again, it could be their own money.

I can see benefits even so. It could be a good way to have 2 major events on at the same time. So you dont have to disrupt football matches. In that sense having two purpose-built venues is definitely the way to go. Or it could be a slap in the face to allphones or something similar. Im not even sure if both allphones and this new thing even cross-over in terms of scope. If Im thinking like that, then maybe there's no harm in having two entertainment hubs in the city. Surely not everything can play at Allphones.

Just means more entertainment. But yeah, ultimately I hope its not affecting the plans for the stadium.

My complete thought on it would be that a stadium and an arena go hand in hand these days. There's things you can do in an arena for corporates and events that you wouldn't want to do in a stadium as much. So it does make sense. Im pretty sure suncorp stadium has facilities like that for corporates built into it, a function room. But in brisbane they have an entertainment center already and an exibition center. Both large enough.

If we are talking functional grandstands rather than largess, and price being a factor to get the desired quality in the main function of the stadium, it actually warrants doing it, in line with the benefits of separate purpose-built facilities. So I reckon its just a part of the overall plan. Probably the very best way to go.

__

Ok so here is the suncorp stadium information about its function rooms. Note the sizes, they're no good for huge concerts, people in brisbane go elsewhere for that. But if sydney has an identified need for such a thing, they'll get it. Maybe the stadium will have small rooms, depending on the scale of the event you can use the stadium or the larger arena.

http://www.suncorpstadium.com.au/Functions/Function_Rooms.aspx

correct me if im wrong, but is this not just diversifying income streams? Its got to be viable overall. And these guys would be all connected with hospitality and various packages and scales of events/functions. I guess it all ties in, because you need hospitality of sorts for stadia too. So you're using something you're already connected and familiar with, and combining them. Clever really.

Last edited:

Von Neumann

Juniors
agree good to see common sense prevail.

the new $100m arena may have a hard time going up against Allphones. Apparently allphones is pretty good, top 10 good world wide good.

The stadium itself will be probably the best viewing ground in the country. Without seeing the plans I can pretty safely say because of the time period we are in, the price and capacity involved, and the fact that other facilities are poor in the city, and not on par nation-wide except suncorp and to a lesser extent AAMI in melbourne + a new parra, that the new SFS will be known as the best stadium in the country.

Yes they may need to keep the design straightforward, but what they can also do is provide it some splashes of character. If they can keep it largely rectangular in appearance (in terms of the shapes of the stands outwardly -- opposite hopefully of the rounded tops of the current sfs, and the roofline that can mistake the ground for an oval at a glance), and harness some character nonetheless, then that alone will help elevate it alongside Suncorp, while differentiating it, and over time perhaps lift it above all current stadia here overall.

Such a stadium of looks and capacity would never have ever been deemed possible to exist in this country just 10 years ago. It could actually be a very special place for the rectangle football codes of this country.

Its moments like this that we realise what a lost opportunity the olympic stadium was, though its been run and used admirably since its construction.

Last edited:
I've previously mentioned Estadio de Luz as something to model a new ground on but kind of agree with posters who don't like the curved top tier.

A marginally smaller version on Millennium Stadium Cardiff or the San Siro in Milan. The pitch of the stands in both of those cases is fantastic

Suitman

Post Whore
I've previously mentioned Estadio de Luz as something to model a new ground on but kind of agree with posters who don't like the curved top tier.

A marginally smaller version on Millennium Stadium Cardiff or the San Siro in Milan. The pitch of the stands in both of those cases is fantastic

I don't think we'd need to change either of those stadiums to suit Sydney's needs at all.
A city our size SHOULD have a San Siro, or Millenium or even a Bernabau.

The reason why we have a f**ked stadium policy now is because previous state govt's pandered to the AFL, and therefore, ANZ wasn't reconfigured properly after the Olympics.

This is our one chance to get a f**king decent rectangular stadium in this city, and a back up decent 35000 seater.
The AFL, who WILL NEVER have a major sporting occupation in Sydney, already have all they need - the SCG and Spotless. Cricket needs nothing more than the SCG.
Therefore, we have all the round field sports catered for. It's time we looked after number's 1, 2 and 3. League, Football and Union.

Suity