What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
There's some good news here.

SCG trust not managing ANZ is a good outcome for the west , they'd almost certainly ignore it in favour of the SFS

So long as this doesnt effect ANZs redevelopment, this split seems like a good thing for RL. Which divided stadium bodied, the clubs can play each off the other and get a better deal.

All the benefits of Union busting without even needing to bust them up...

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
BBL expansion isnt going to be great for nrl stadiums.... the likes of townsville ,newcastle, wollongong etc..

Would all wish they had oval grounds with 25k plus going forward

Diesel

Referee
Any regional BBL games for say the Heat would be one a year out of Brisbane. One to Townsville, one to Cairns the following year, then Rocky, year 4 would be Mackay, year 5 Sunny or Gold Coast. No need to invest in oval grounds or multi sports grounds so a rectangluar stadium for Townsville would be safe

Timbo

Staff member
BBL team expansion is a long way off. They're expanding the season from 8 to 10 games next year with no plans to expand the number of teams.

In anycase, CA would already be looking at Geelong, Canberra, Launceston and The Gold Coast if they wanted to add teams as they already have stadiums in place. Cairns also already has a ground that could be used, but North Queensland and the NT are pretty unlikely for BBL teams due to the frequency of evening rain during BBL season.

I think it's pretty unlikely that the BBL would expand into Newcastle or Wollongong given that no government is likely to stump up the money for a cricket ground that would be used 5 times a year. Whilst these cities have decent populations, CA is more concerned about the numbers watching on TV than at the actual ground.

There's some good news here.

SCG trust not managing ANZ is a good outcome for the west , they'd almost certainly ignore it in favour of the SFS

So long as this doesnt effect ANZs redevelopment, this split seems like a good thing for RL. Which divided stadium bodied, the clubs can play each off the other and get a better deal.

All the benefits of Union busting without even needing to bust them up...

Couldn't disagree more guys.

The SCG trust was never going to manage ANZ. They were to be absorbed by Venues NSW.

Part of the reason for this was that the trust was caught red-handed in cahoots with Stuart Ayers, John Brogden and Mike Baird, funneling public funds into their own coffers.
It was corruption and embezzlement of the absolute highest order. Ayers was stripped of his portfolio, Brogden slid into the shadows and Baird publicly changed his tune, instead favouring the ANZ option.
It is absolutely unconscionable that the SCG Trust could be allowed to continue to exist in anything that resembled their existing structure.
A large part of the entire purpose of the restructure of Venues NSW was to prevent the high-profile stakeholders associated with The SCG Trust from pushing their agenda against public interest.
As for costs, I'm not sure it will have a great bearing. From an outside perspective, it looks like the Trust is more interested in adding value to their assets than actual revenue, at least for the short term anyway.

In any case, I agree with doctor that priority #1 is that no money gets redirected away from ANZ...
I think we all agree on that.

BBL expansion isnt going to be great for nrl stadiums.... the likes of townsville ,newcastle, wollongong etc..

Would all wish they had oval grounds with 25k plus going forward

Well Townsville is well underway in developing its new rectangular stadium. I doubt anything changes there.

It's well down the list of possible BBL expansion destinations though , so is Wollongong.

Newcastle has a pretty solid rectangular ground now so I'm not too concerned there.

Honestly though , I doubt the BBL season will ever be long enough to command stadia infrastructure. They'll more than likely have to go where it's already in existence. Canberra , Geelong , Gold Coast , Adelaide 2 & Perth 2.

Part of the reason for this was that the trust was caught red-handed in cahoots with Stuart Ayers, John Brogden and Mike Baird, funneling public funds into their own coffers.

That's a huge claim , anything to back it up?

It was corruption and embezzlement of the absolute highest order. Ayers was stripped of his portfolio, Brogden slid into the shadows and Baird publicly changed his tune, instead favouring the ANZ option.

This is incorrect. Ayres remains minister for sport to this day , what happened was he was stripped of stadium decision making.

It is absolutely unconscionable that the SCG Trust could be allowed to continue to exist in anything that resembled their existing structure.
A large part of the entire purpose of the restructure of Venues NSW was to prevent the high-profile stakeholders associated with The SCG Trust from pushing their agenda against public interest.

Agree here , there's certainly some powerful interests at play.

That's a huge claim , anything to back it up?

This is incorrect. Ayres remains minister for sport to this day , what happened was he was stripped of stadium decision making.

Agree here , there's certainly some powerful interests at play.

You're right. It was the $1.6 billion in stadia funding that was removed from his portfolio. I've been living abroad for the best part of a year so keeping up with state politics can be a bit tricky. My bad.

It's true that there isn't the kind of hard proof that would stand up in a criminal court. But on the balance of probabilities, I could say with a reasonable amount of confidence that the original Moore Park plan was a result of members of the government bowing to external pressure from their "friends".

A very short and simplified timeline:
2012 -Stadia Strategy - Puts a strong focus on the importance of stakeholder consultation.

2012 to 2015 - Stadia Strategy Steering Committee formed in secret comprising of John Brogden, Tony Shepherd (SCG Trust), John Quayle (Venues NSW), and Daryl Kerry (ANZ Stadium). At this point it is beginning to look like the "extensive stakeholder consultation" promised in the Stadia Strategy was just going to be getting the venue managers to decide whose assets deserve a spruce up. Or more.

2015 - Stadia Strategy Implementation Report by SSSC - Claims that after stakeholder consultation including with councils, clubs, sports bodies, etc they had developed a set of priorities headlined by a new 55,000 seat stadium at Moore Park. This was to be the basis of Stuart Ayers funding allocation.
The problem was, the "extensive consultation" never took place so was never made public.
During this period, I was made privvy to the existance of a powerpoint presentation given by SCG Trust consultants to the SSSC claiming that they had in principle support from South Sydney and St George Illawarra to play 11 and 6 games respectively at a new Moore Park Stadium - This is untrue.
Also, in the months following the release of the Stadia Strategy Implementation Report, it was very difficult to find, perennially having its URL changed. It wasn't until ABC published it as a pdf circa October 2015 that it could be found with any level of consistency.
I know this because I was doing a project on democratisation and stakeholder in engagement in planning as part of my Master of Urban and Regional Planning. Trust me, it's a bitch having to fully reference the same document over and over just because the URL has changed between access dates.

Then in about Feb or March 2016, the conversation went a bit like this.

NRL Clubs: This sucks

Government: Well you made your own bed. This plan is the outcome of serious stakeholder consultation.

NRL Clubs: No one spoke to us.

Government: Yes. Brogden, Shepherd et. al. They told us they spoke to you.

NRL Clubs: WTF.

Government: Well they spoke to your governing body then.

NRL Clubs: Ohhhhh heeeeelllllz no!

To give an idea of how much effort went in to the SSSC's process, they literally didn't even do a fan survey on transport types on game day. They were already too interested in legally bypassing ANZ Stadium's post-olympic non-compete agreement. This part is all on public record.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
What a shock el moron missing the point... places like wollongong / newcastle (the city not the NRL teams) would love to have a couple of big events over summer to draw 30k people to the centre of their cities..

How is the BBL bad for NRL Stadiums though? Your intitial post made no sense. Are you suggesting that funding is going to be directed to oval stadiums in places like Newcastle and Wollongong to cater for 4 cricket matches per year? Please.

With the new stadium in Townsville and Parra, plus the rebuild of ANZ our stadium situation is looking pretty good. All that's left is Canberra and some smaller upgrades to our suburban stadia and we are set.

Last edited:

The SCG trust was never going to manage ANZ. They were to be absorbed by Venues NSW.

As for costs, I'm not sure it will have a great bearing. From an outside perspective, it looks like the Trust is more interested in adding value to their assets than actual revenue, at least for the short term anyway.

In any case, I agree with doctor that priority #1 is that no money gets redirected away from ANZ...
I think we all agree on that.

What are you on about? Baird was the one that kyboshed Ayres' and the Trust's plan for the "new" stadium at Moore Park to be built over Kippax Lake and the demolition of the current SFS. That said Baird didn't strip Ayres of his portfolio either.

Further Ayres stripped of his portfolio. Really? Would be news to him, and to the current Premier for that matter considering Stuart Ayres is still the Minister for Sport (see here if you disbelieve me) and he has responsibility for both the SCG/SFS Trust and the Olympic Park site (see here if you disbelieve me).