What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

I really like the way they have configured Langtree with a mix of seating and terraces.

Langtree-Park_1343777855_495x249.png

Which is a good solution for England, where everything needs to be undercover. If people are going to stand, whats wrong with a nice grass hill? It's easier on the eye, softer underfoot and if there's a bit of room people can spread out with a picnic.

I think the difference is that if it rains for a week before the game, a grass hill will end up a mud pit, whilst a terrace will still be good to use.

I do like the idea of a hill though.

newman

First Grade
I think the difference is that if it rains for a week before the game, a grass hill will end up a mud pit, whilst a terrace will still be good to use.

I do like the idea of a hill though.

In my mind the best club ground in the country is Hunter stadium. They have a good mix of "mega stadium" and boutique local ground. Everyone's happy there. I think that when you leave the mega venues which hold SOO and Grand Finals aside it's a shame that there is a push to go all seater at smaller venues. Sitting on the grass and watching sport is a quirky Australian cultural trait which considering our generally favourable climate, should be preserved to a point.

BKl-g8bCEAIXlb0.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
It'd be interesting to know how many NRL games a season are rain affected? The problem is due to lack of decent undercover options at a lot of grounds it is stand/sit in the rain or nothing, hence why we see big drops in crowds at rainy grounds.

Ideally you would have 2 large side all seating stands, one grass hill and one roofed standing terrace, with a capacity around 30K. pretty much caters for everyone and most weathers then.

I do agree about Hunter, it is probably the best designed club ground imo and considering it is a refurb and not a new build they have done a cracking job.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^^^^^I agree with most of this.^^^^^

I hate a lot of the suburban ground the teams play in (Leichhardt, Brooky, Kogarah, Cronulla, Penrith), but not because of the hills; i actually love them.

I would put Win Stadium up next to Hunter Stadium any day; theyre both awesome. They have the hill that is very popular with families and hard-core traditionalists. But once you move into a seated area it is state of the art.

For example, i dont hate brooky for having 2 sides as hills, i hate Brooky because the 2 grandstands are shit holes.

TheRam

Coach
I hate all hill areas. All stadiums should be all seaters with roofs over the top of those seats at a bare minimum.

And in cold and rainy places like Canberra, it should be a complete roof design with central heating for f**k sake.

newman

First Grade
A hill is what you have when you can't afford to build a stadium. All seaters should be the way to go.

Why? When it is done well like at Hunter, a hill can be awesome. A lot of people still like hills, why not give them the option?

Joker's Wild

Coach
I would put Win Stadium up next to Hunter Stadium any day; theyre both awesome. They have the hill that is very popular with families and hard-core traditionalists. But once you move into a seated area it is state of the art.

The NE corner of the Northern stand at WIN is terrible though. Obstructed views and terrible angles. They really dropped the ball there

news57WinStadium.jpg

beave

Coach
I could be wrong but wasnt that stand part of the sydney olympic aquatic centre?

They probably just had to make do with what they were given, but you are right though mate, some pretty shitty angles and seat positions there.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I could be wrong but wasnt that stand part of the sydney olympic aquatic centre?

They probably just had to make do with what they were given, but you are right though mate, some pretty shitty angles and seat positions there.

That is correct. The main northern stand was used in the Aquatic Centre for the 2000 Olympics, however the 'northern wrap' seating shown in that photo was added on and is not part of the original stand.

I'd imagine when a western stand is eventually built to replace the hill it will be removed.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That is correct. The main northern stand was used in the Aquatic Centre for the 2000 Olympics, however the 'northern wrap' seating shown in that photo was added on and is not part of the original stand.

I'd imagine when a western stand is eventually built to replace the hill it will be removed.

If yous are still talking about WIN then this cannot happen. Its the eastern side that is the hill and because it is so cloe to the beach they cannot build there without destroying the sand dunes and losing much of the beach to the ocean.

I dont know why they build the Northern stand they way they did, but i can promise you that there are no plans to change it.

The Eagle

Juniors
I hate all hill areas. All stadiums should be all seaters with roofs over the top of those seats at a bare minimum.

And in cold and rainy places like Canberra, it should be a complete roof design with central heating for f**k sake.

I don't like it so f**k everyone else

The Hill is the true football experience

TheRam

Coach
A hill is what you have when you can't afford to build a stadium. All seaters should be the way to go.

Spot on champ.

Why? When it is done well like at Hunter, a hill can be awesome. A lot of people still like hills, why not give them the option?

Yeah right sure. Well the eventual plan there is, when the funding becomes available, to build more stands and enclose it. So stick it.

I don't like it so f**k everyone else

The Hill is the true football experience

Tough tities, the plan for most stadiums is all seaters, so you can go stick it too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just watched the NFC championship game. That new Seattle stadium is stunning, designed to keep the crowd atmosphere in yet has semi open ends which would be perfect for airflow in a warm country like ours. Take a look ANZ stadium and hang your head in shame!

newman

First Grade
Spot on champ.

Yeah right sure. Well the eventual plan there is, when the funding becomes available, to build more stands and enclose it. So stick it.

Tough tities, the plan for most stadiums is all seaters, so you can go stick it too.

Interesting how they kept a small hill at the Adelaide Oval during the redevelopment and people love it.

images

Latest posts