What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallens Contract and Future

Ricey

Juniors
That's your opinion mate, But if he wasn't rocked at all why didn't he throw one back?

carcharias

Immortal
he didn't throw one back because about 1 second later there was about 10 blokes all over both of them.

carcharias

Immortal
Ha
Gallen punched myles .. yes
it's on YouTube we've all seen it
No way did he hurt him much though
First punch was almost a push , second connected then it was a rumble with blokes holding them both back
End of fight

Gallen started it with the forearm in the tackle
However myles did have it coming

In a boxing ring Gallen has a better record than Mundine

webShark

most of his fights have been for charity fight nights.

So he got paid for fighting on a charity fight night or gave his purse to charity?

I suppose him and $BW will spend 3 years setting up a big pay day and give it all to charity. But $BW did give his medal to a kid. Surprised me, I never thought he would get given another one.

Basically, Gall does not fight for charity although he may do many other charitable acts. Then again, some might say the club are fairly charitable towards him.

carcharias

Immortal
Of course he gets paid for training his arse off and risking career ending injuries and then filling these joints with punters
He doesn't take the door takings or any Pay per view deal though .
That is how they work.

Without him and the other boxers the charity get nothing

Last edited:

webShark

In a boxing ring Gallen has a better record than Mundine

Now that comment is a classic.

By that logic, he has a better record than Ali,Tyson,Leonard,Hagler,Hearns,Duran and Pacquiao.

Mundine always gets dragged into these things. The same fighter who has won a world title and easily beat the people's champion,Danny Green. FTR, Mundine would beat Gall easily. Over 4 rounds on points, longer fight on a stoppage.

As for pay per view! You cannot be serious. I have seen all his fights in a club. Wouldn't pay a cent on ppv. In the Locker Room ,I was one of about 20 watching the boxing. Someone had to ask for the sound to be put on. There is no money in PPV for his fights. If there was he would want a cut. As for risking career threatening injuries. You could ask why in the name of hell he asks and is allowed to box.

He boxes for extra cash, because Footy is not a high paying sport, despite him being one of the best in the world.

Pacman is involved in Basketball and he is about 5 ft 3!. Does it because he can.

I would like to see Gall fight Fifita.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
Hahaha
FFS
Well you're the one who dragged Mundine into it.
Your quote is below.
And yes that makes Gallen better than all those blokes :)

Tell me , did Gallen get paid by the club to have his boxing match telecast there?
I believe the club also streamed it on the website.

If it wasnt a charity fight night they wouldn't call it that.
Charities don't do things for free you realise ?
Or do you think people will bust their arse and give all their time for nothing?
Ever heard the saying " all profits go to charity"?

Obviously Anthony Watt ��.

I declare this banter over by stating both can't box. If you bump into Gall ask him if would fight Willis Meehan for instance. Then again I doubt SBW would.

Best laugh was watching Fat Head getting beat by a A Grader from Goulburn.

I am not knocking Gall or SBW , just saying as boxers they make great Footy players.

Boxing here is a bit of a giggle. Danny Green built a career on bagging Anthony Mundine. Finally fought and hardly won a round. Now he is doing it again.

I am the dumb one. Actually watch some of these circuses.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Fighting again in January

CRONULLA skipper Paul Gallen has been given permission to fight for $50,000 in late January, with coach Shane Flangan saying he had “no issue” with the potential bout.

Undefeated in his brief heavyweight career, Gallen has been offered more than four grand per minute — plus a third of all television revenue — should he agree to rematch Toowoomba slugger Herman Ene Purcell.
Himself a league player in Queensland, Purcell opposed Gallen in his professional debut almost two years ago — famously dropping the NSW Origin captain in round one.
While the then 19-year-old eventually lost the bout via TKO, he remains desperate for a rematch, with his team offering Gallen $50,000 plus TV cash in a bid to lure him north for the bout.
Already a contract has been emailed to the enforcer’s agent David Riolo, who was set to discuss the offer with Gallen when he arrived home from a family holiday to Singapore on Wednesday.
When quizzed on their skipper’s availability for the proposed fight, a Sharks spokesman said both coach Flanagan and the club had given the green light to Gallen accepting.
“There is no issue with Gal fighting in January,’’ the Sharks official said. “Shane Flanagan knows about the offer and has no problem with any fight that doesn’t impact on his footy commitments.
“And a January fight falls into that category.”
While Gallen had yet to reach a decision by late Wednesday afternoon, Purcell’s trainer Brandon Smith remained confident the deal would eventually be accepted.
“We’re close,’’ Smith said. “The deal that’s out there now is the final one, we won’t be offering a thousand dollars more.
“But we certainly think it’s fair. You get some people taking shots on social media about the fact that other boxers out there wouldn’t earn this sort of money over four rounds.
“But given the interest that surrounds Gallen every time he fights, the amount is fair. It’s exactly what he deserves if he choses to accept ... and we’re hopeful he will.”
LINK

Card Shark

Immortal
So the club & coach have no problem with him fighting in January but I wonder if Gal has s problem playing prop?

coolumsharkie

Referee
Fighting again in January

LINK

Good on him.

Worse case senario is that he gets a facial injury that puts him out for a while. Another downside would be a different conditioning i.e weight loss or something like that. He must bethe fittest 30+ bloke in the NRL.

Card Shark

Immortal
I don't think the boxing is a bad thing, as you say Cools, it's good for fitness.

I just wish Gal would line up at prop & play 60 mins a game - quality over quantity.

I know some say he plays a props game, & this is true to some degree, but I'd like it to be "official".

bluefox1968

Juniors
Hmmm.

Yes, I've said 'Gal to prop' a number of times, but we are basing that on 'the game of his life', which was awesome, but still just one game.

Sam Burgess plays lock for Souths, and the case could be made that he is a prop. Nate Myles and Trent Merrin are also big boys that have played lock.

I think our biggest need is for Taga and Fifita to play consistent good footy at prop, and we'll cop Gal keeping the '13' for his whole career.

The other question is: are Heighno and Prior capable enough at prop? I think they are, based on last season's efforts.

I don't think the boxing is a bad thing, as you say Cools, it's good for fitness.

I just wish Gal would line up at prop & play 60 mins a game - quality over quantity.

I know some say he plays a props game, & this is true to some degree, but I'd like it to be "official".

Why does it have to be official?

Card Shark

Immortal
So he has a defined role, which is run hard up the guts & stay out of the backline.

Granted he was much better in that respect this year but he's getting older & slower & he needs to continue to do that.