What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop likens Storm fans to terrorists!

seaeagle sam

Haha I guess you're the one who looks like an idiot, then.

Do you need a lesson in corporate law?

Surely you don't honestly think that company decisions are made by the CEO, do you? In fact, do you even know what the role of a CEO in an organization such as the NRL is?

I agree with this. I think many people think Gallop walks the halls of the NRL making arbitrary decisions.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
They should kick the Storm out of the finals this year for the actions of their fans :sarcasm:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Typical Gallop, biggest month of the year for the game and he comes out with nonsense like this that will take the attention away from the games we have coming up this weekend. What idiot CEO uses an analogy of terrorists to describe stakeholders (and very important ones for the game at that) on the anniversary of 9/11?
Can't wait till he has to show his face in Melbourne again! :)

Brutus

Referee
Typical Gallop, biggest month of the year for the game and he comes out with nonsense like this that will take the attention away from the games we have coming up this weekend. What idiot CEO uses an analogy of terrorists to describe stakeholders (and very important ones for the game at that) on the anniversary of 9/11?
Can't wait till he has to show his face in Melbourne again! :)

Gallop makes the worst analogies of anyone I've ever heard and he constantly does it.

Typical lawyer rubbish.

Ozzy

First Grade
He never said the fans were like terrorists. He said that terrorists use passion as an excuse, and that doesn't make them right. He's just making the point that the fans' passion can't justify their dumb actions.

He never says the fans are like terrorists.
^^^This.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Using any anology for RL fans with terrorists is a shocking and disgraceful thing to do. No he didn't call them terrorists but he used an analogy that was totally inappropriate. I might expect Geyer or Gould to come out with something like this but not the CEO of the game!

He clearly has a massive problem with the Storm, he got in both cheating and terrosits in the same conversation and had no reconcilliation in his tone or words what so ever. He is supposed to be the head of the game, the leader. The ramifications from this interview are significant of he doesn't sort it out and rebuild the bridges with Melbourne quick.

Just listened to the interview, he sounded so unprepared it was embarrasing. Has to laugh at the DJ's who sounded stunned by his responses!

firechild

First Grade
Using any anology for RL fans with terrorists is a shocking and disgraceful thing to do. No he didn't call them terrorists but he used an analogy that was totally inappropriate.

He used an analogy that was bang on the mark. I hate Gallop as much as the next bloke but the point he made was spot on. The Storm are cheats and there is no point trying to hide the fact. The fact that the Storm fans blame Gallop shows that they condone the actions of Waldron and co.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Why should Gallop have any reconciliation in his voice?? He did nothing wrong.
Why should he rebuild bridges???

Why the fugg do so many people still think the storm were the victims in all this??

FFS the storm basically voided 5 years of NRL football with their systematic cheating and you all want to blame Gallop.
If I was CEO I'd have expelled them from the NRL competition for life, the player managers, Waldron, the recruitment guy, etc all marked "never to be involved in NRL" again.

ellskimore

Juniors
He never said the fans were like terrorists. He said that terrorists use passion as an excuse, and that doesn't make them right. He's just making the point that the fans' passion can't justify their dumb actions.

He never says the fans are like terrorists.

This person, and the people who quoted this, are clearly the only people that actually read the excerpt.
I mean, really. You can hate the guy if you want but using this as an attack on his character is just dumb.
Also Gallop >>>Storm. Is he really the bad guy in this situation? Seriously. They cheated. They got caught. Whoever was boss at the time was going to cop it from the fans.

Ozzy

First Grade
Storm deserved to be stripped of their ill-gotten premierships, no doubt.

Gallop is conveniently forgetting the current TV coverage balls-up.

The only way anyone in Melbourne (irrespective of club allegiance) could watch the other N(for National) RL finals is by stolen Imparja satellite or illegal streaming.

That is unacceptable and I would boo him for that reason as well.

He is kidding himself he thinks it is only Storm fans booing him, it is rugby league fans who live in Melbourne who can't watch their game that are booing him too.

You have a better chance of watching games live in Thailand than in Melbourne!

Fix the coverage Gallop, you clown!!

Booooo!!!!
You do realise that it is Channel 9 that dictates what games are shown.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This isn't about the Storm board and management who cheated the game. It is about the hurt the fans are feeling and still feel. If he can't understand why passionate fans who love their team and game feel angry, frustrated and peeved with what happened then he doesn't understand sport or RL. The fact we have fans who care about the club and game so much in AFL heartland should be applauded not slated.

And yes using an anology of terrorism to describe the passion we have for the game is totally inappropriate from the games CEO. It is such a badly worded answer that will cause the game negative media and is again just reflective of Gallop's lack of media skills and inability to construct a well worded answer on the spot.
How about this:

"Yes it was disappointing to be booed by the Melbourne fans but they are a very passionate set of RL supporters down there and they are still hurting from what their club management did. We love to see the army of purple at Storm games and congratulate them on a tremendous season. I hope to see them fill AAMI stadium for the Storms finals games ahead and display that passion to get behind their team"

Not hard is it?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Perth Red, two things. One - use the multiquote button.

Two - do you understand the term "any publicity is good publicity"?

People in Melbourne are now talking about rugby league. Gallop is a smart operator...

:sarcasm:

El Diablo

Post Whore
This isn't about the Storm board and management who cheated the game. It is about the hurt the fans are feeling and still feel

which has nothing to do with him

he didn't cheat so why these f**kwit Storm fans get pissed with him has got me knackered

oval

Juniors
A couple of things:

1. I can't think of any ground in the NRL where Gallop would not be booed.

2. "Terrorists" is a word with intrinsically negative connotations that is generally applied to one's enemies and opponents, or to those with whom one disagrees. Using this word indirectly Gallop has both given himself deniability - "I never called them terrorists!!" - while at the same time sneakily demonising his opponents (Melbourne fans).

3. A previous poster argued that Gallop is saying "we can't use passion as an excuse to act like a dickhead". Anyone who attends NRL games regularly (or even reads these forums) would realise that passion is EXACTLY the reason why people tend to act like dickheads. Sitting at any game you're going to hear fans screaming "smash him!!" "rip his head off!!" "how much are they paying you ref!?" "go home ya scum!!" etc etc - all this usually unacceptable behaviour is made acceptable at a football game, which is why so many people love it, and is often a result of passion for your club. The NRL thrives on this passion. But Gallop says the passion Melbourne fans showed on Sunday is somehow naughty or bad because he was the one on the receiving end.

Thanks for the clarification Mr Gallop, I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Ozzy

First Grade
This isn't about the Storm board and management who cheated the game. It is about the hurt the fans are feeling and still feel. If he can't understand why passionate fans who love their team and game feel angry, frustrated and peeved with what happened then he doesn't understand sport or RL. The fact we have fans who care about the club and game so much in AFL heartland should be applauded not slated.
I'm sure he understands that but can't understand why aim your anger at him and not the culprits responsible.

And yes using an anology of terrorism to describe the passion we have for the game is totally inappropriate from the games CEO. It is such a badly worded answer that will cause the game negative media and is again just reflective of Gallop's lack of media skills and inability to construct a well worded answer on the spot.
How about this:

"Yes it was disappointing to be booed by the Melbourne fans but they are a very passionate set of RL supporters down there and they are still hurting from what their club management did. We love to see the army of purple at Storm games and congratulate them on a tremendous season. I hope to see them fill AAMI stadium for the Storms finals games ahead and display that passion to get behind their team"

Not hard is it?
He didn't use the analogy to describe the passion but that the passion should not be used as an excuse for dumb behaviour.

Latest posts