What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop likens Storm fans to terrorists!

Doomednow

Bench
It was not an analogy. It wasn't even a simile. It was a metaphor and that makes a whole lot of difference to the spin put on it by the chattering classes, like the DT and news Ltd

A metaphor would be something like .... Iggy Plop is always complaining about Gallop. He whines like an old Holden with a f**ked diff...

That's a simile, actually.

And it is an analogy, he used the example of passion in terrorists to make the point that passion can be misdirected. He did not say it is only misdirected in terrorists and therefore the storm supporter base's misdirected passion makes them terrorists.

betcats

Referee
It was not an analogy. It wasn't even a simile. It was a metaphor and that makes a whole lot of difference to the spin put on it by the chattering classes, like the DT and news Ltd

A metaphor would be something like .... Iggy Plop is always complaining about Gallop. He whines like an old Holden with a f**ked diff...

Thats a similie.

A metaphor would be "he is an old holden with a f**ked diff".

juro

Bench
He never said the fans were like terrorists. He said that terrorists use passion as an excuse, and that doesn't make them right. He's just making the point that the fans' passion can't justify their dumb actions.

He never says the fans are like terrorists.
Exactly. Story over nothing.

firechild

First Grade
players being so drunk they were asked to leave hotels.

So did Manly apologise to the NRL for the punching incident and the overall disgraceful nature of the launch ?

If the NRL had suspended Watmough for 4 weeks that night I doubt we would still be talking about it. However, they used the excuse of "drunk at a club function" to suspend a player that caused no harm to others, had a few drinks and caught a taxi home but was later accused of sexual assault but did not suspend a player that was drunk and punched a club sponsor. Anyone with half a brain can see that if it was for being drunk at a club function then Watmough should have been suspended but the NRL simply had to find an excuse to suspend Brett for being accused of sexual assault while hiding behind a different excuse. Being drunk is not against any rules, Brett and others were asked to leave because the function had finished.

Rexxy

Coach
Thats a similie.

A metaphor would be "he is an old holden with a f**ked diff".

yes. Youre right. mea culpa.

But the fact reamins, you cant hang Gallop out to dry because he is saying something, and you think it is something else.

Storm in a teacup blows no-one any good.

Mixed metaphor.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
Massive beat up if you ask me.

All his point was that just because you are passionate about something doesnt make it the right thing to do.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Is it just me or do the Storm fans need to get over it? The bloke wasn't the reason they had their premierships and minor premierships stripped. They should look a little closer to home; if they didn't cheat, we wouldn't be having this issue.

SDM

First Grade
If the NRL had suspended Watmough for 4 weeks that night I doubt we would still be talking about it. However, they used the excuse of "drunk at a club function" to suspend a player that caused no harm to others, had a few drinks and caught a taxi home but was later accused of sexual assault but did not suspend a player that was drunk and punched a club sponsor. Anyone with half a brain can see that if it was for being drunk at a club function then Watmough should have been suspended but the NRL simply had to find an excuse to suspend Brett for being accused of sexual assault while hiding behind a different excuse. Being drunk is not against any rules, Brett and others were asked to leave because the function had finished.

Years ago, who f**king cares.

seaeagle sam

Thats was the basis of B Stewarts suspension you numnuts.

he and a couple of mates were asked to leave the pub after the season launch. they did so without any dramas.

Stewart's suspension was based on what was reported in the tele.

SDM

First Grade
They should be on their knees servicing Gallop after he allowed them to keep an illegally assembled team.

Gmac

Juniors
He’ll cop it again on grandfinal day if Melbourne or manly win it :lol:

Look Ive been critical of my club and wish they’d just shut up and play footy. If thinking the world hates them is going to help them win the comp I have nothing against that. But perhaps it can be kepted in the dressing room.
I dont condone what Melbourne did ( I still :lol: at 40-0 with a team massively over the cap so that keeps me happy) But I hardly think his comments represent a good image from the leader of our game.
Perhaps it would of been more professional to either A ignore it or B justify the Nrls actions and pledge his support for growing the game in Melbourne and getting the dckheads at Nine to show the games live etc. He just made the situation much worse.

Brutus

Referee
Were there any signs up at AAMI Park hammering Gallop & Ch 9 for the poor Tv coverage into Melb?

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
I have never heard the CEO of any sporting organisation call it's fans "terrorists" especially on 9/11

Wasnt it yesterday? He mentions in the interview "beig booed yesterday" hence it would habe been monday which is 12/9. But but but is was the 11th somewhere in the world maybe!

Juniors
Has anyone actually read the article. He has called no one a terrorist.

While he should take the booing on the chin and STFU, his analogy is correct, we cant use passionate as an excuse to be a dickhead.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
LOL surely you're taking the piss, you couldn't possibly be that dumb could you? It was Gallop that signed on the dotted handing over absolute power to the games number one broadcaster and letting them dictate where and when the decide to play/broadcast games.

Of course we're going to blame him for that given he was the one that gave the go ahead for nein to treat the game with absolute contempt down here you numpty. Nein are absolute scumbags because of that but at the same time they're only doing what Gallop gave them full permission to do.
Haha I guess you're the one who looks like an idiot, then.

Do you need a lesson in corporate law?

Surely you don't honestly think that company decisions are made by the CEO, do you? In fact, do you even know what the role of a CEO in an organization such as the NRL is?