What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop likens Storm fans to terrorists!

bileduct

Coach
There were many reasons why he copped it Sunday.

His lack of presence in Melbourne for 18 months was a pretty poor decision when the club and fans needed some sort of quality leadership to talk through the situation. Staying in Sydney was just wrong.
Are you f**king serious?

He was booed because he stayed in Sydney whilst your club was being exposed for the cheating pieces of shit they are?

Now I've heard everything.

bileduct

Coach
I was at the game and he pretty much copped it big time from the whole crowd...if he had have grown a pair and come down to Melbourne earlier then he may have has some inch of respect from the Storm fans.

I have no issues with the penalties imposed last year but the manner in which he did it and the smug persona he displays does himself no favours.
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshit.

Your scum club doesn't think it did anything wrong. That's why you all hate Gallop.

Brutus

Referee
gallophead172.jpg

What you looking at dog face.

The worst analogy I have ever heard.

Get rid of him please. That grab of the Gallop interview from 3AW was downright embarrassing for our code.

Dick in a vice voice.

Ozzy

First Grade
A couple of things:

1. I can't think of any ground in the NRL where Gallop would not be booed.

2. "Terrorists" is a word with intrinsically negative connotations that is generally applied to one's enemies and opponents, or to those with whom one disagrees. Using this word indirectly Gallop has both given himself deniability - "I never called them terrorists!!" - while at the same time sneakily demonising his opponents (Melbourne fans).

3. A previous poster argued that Gallop is saying "we can't use passion as an excuse to act like a dickhead". Anyone who attends NRL games regularly (or even reads these forums) would realise that passion is EXACTLY the reason why people tend to act like dickheads. Sitting at any game you're going to hear fans screaming "smash him!!" "rip his head off!!" "how much are they paying you ref!?" "go home ya scum!!" etc etc - all this usually unacceptable behaviour is made acceptable at a football game, which is why so many people love it, and is often a result of passion for your club. The NRL thrives on this passion. But Gallop says the passion Melbourne fans showed on Sunday is somehow naughty or bad because he was the one on the receiving end.

Thanks for the clarification Mr Gallop, I'll be sure to keep it in mind.
Are you really comparing a heat of the moment in the middle or end of a game to a trophy presentation?

Rexxy

Coach
FFS Iggy give it a rest.

Who would you prefer? Some ex afl hack? A media empire loon? a footballer? Some corrupt old scrotum like Arko? Moffat (who is actually dumber than his namesake Moffo), Geoff Carr? Boob Millward? Some gumby ex politician?

Who has ten years experience in the job or at elite sports admin and can do what Gallop does for the money?

There are no CEO's at club level that come to mind and he is without the taint of any one club. He stood up to News by not even telling the News Limited Board members they were going to strip Melbourne their points.

But you come on here and bang away, like some acid casualty without offering 1 let alone 10 other names.

It's time to move on from whatever makes you so irrational.

gallophead172.jpg

Get rid of him please. That grab of the Gallop interview from 3AW was downright embarrassing for our code.

Dick in a vice voice.

El Diablo

Post Whore
gallophead172.jpg

Dick in a vice voice.

Gallop makes the worst analogies of anyone I've ever heard and he constantly does it.

Typical lawyer rubbish.

Very thin-skinned from Gallop.

I heard someone mention the other day that he'd be a great politician.

Imagine if every politician used the terrorist analogy everytime they got booed?

If someone threw something at him then fair enough, but booing and hissing?? Fffs get over yourself.

We really need a fresh face as the head of our game. 10 years of this bloke is more than enough.

i think we get it

you don't like Gallop and his anologies

bileduct

Coach
I can assure you if the chief rat came out of his hole and ever showed his face at the game he'd cop a hell of a lot more than just a bit of harmless booing.
So your perception of what he said is right then... you are terrorists.

oval

Juniors
Are you really comparing a heat of the moment in the middle or end of a game to a trophy presentation?

I am comparing one expression of passion to another. Guess I'm not so different to Mr Gallop after all.

Ozzy

First Grade
I am comparing one expression of passion to another. Guess I'm not so different to Mr Gallop after all.
Yes you are. Gallop wasn't comparing one expression of passion to another. He said that you can't use passion as an excuse for dumb actions.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Terrorists???

Is this guy serious?

His assumption that all Storm fans booed him because of the salary cap breach was wrong. There were many reasons why he copped it Sunday.

His lack of presence in Melbourne for 18 months was a pretty poor decision when the club and fans needed some sort of quality leadership to talk through the situation. Staying in Sydney was just wrong.

Never mind the lack of tv coverage at a decent timeslot here in Melbourne, while he barely touched base with Ch.9 was another reason he copped a spray.

First of all, he's not calling you terrorists. He's saying terrorists have passion, it doesn't excuse it. Never says Storm fans are like terrorists.

His assumption is correct. My arse those fans were booing because he didn't come down to Melbourne. Your fans wouldn't have let him come down, he would've got an even more hostile reception and possibly would have been dangerous to do so.

Your fans booed him because of the salary cap breach. Why hadn't there been boos of him in years previous? The lack of TV coverage was still abound then. Don't spin the situation to make yourselves look like victims, as you've been doing for over a year now.

Gallop is not perfect but he didn't deserve that disgraceful stuff the other night.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Gallop obviously didn't stop to think before speaking, beccause if he had have, he would have come up with a comparison slightly less likely to cause a blow up.

Doesn't change the fact Melbourne people reacting to this are soft Karmichaels and blowing it out of all proportion.

Incidentally, I wonder how Wally Lewis and Andrew Johns ever coped with the crowd receptions in Sydney and Brisbane respectively?

As an aside, Gallop ought to be booed at every Rugby League game and he ought to take it in good spirits. Same with politicians. Booing is harmless.

I thought about this initially but the difference is at sporting events the CEO/politician or whoever gets booed in all good fun by drunks and they respond to it accordingly with a smile and a laugh but the Melbourne fans genuinely feel hard done by and they think Gallop is to blame for their clubs disgraceful actions so this time it is different.

Using any anology for RL fans with terrorists is a shocking and disgraceful thing to do. No he didn't call them terrorists but he used an analogy that was totally inappropriate. I might expect Geyer or Gould to come out with something like this but not the CEO of the game!

He clearly has a massive problem with the Storm, he got in both cheating and terrosits in the same conversation and had no reconcilliation in his tone or words what so ever. He is supposed to be the head of the game, the leader. The ramifications from this interview are significant of he doesn't sort it out and rebuild the bridges with Melbourne quick.

Just listened to the interview, he sounded so unprepared it was embarrasing. Has to laugh at the DJ's who sounded stunned by his responses!

This isn't about the Storm board and management who cheated the game. It is about the hurt the fans are feeling and still feel. If he can't understand why passionate fans who love their team and game feel angry, frustrated and peeved with what happened then he doesn't understand sport or RL. The fact we have fans who care about the club and game so much in AFL heartland should be applauded not slated.

And yes using an anology of terrorism to describe the passion we have for the game is totally inappropriate from the games CEO. It is such a badly worded answer that will cause the game negative media and is again just reflective of Gallop's lack of media skills and inability to construct a well worded answer on the spot.
How about this:

"Yes it was disappointing to be booed by the Melbourne fans but they are a very passionate set of RL supporters down there and they are still hurting from what their club management did. We love to see the army of purple at Storm games and congratulate them on a tremendous season. I hope to see them fill AAMI stadium for the Storms finals games ahead and display that passion to get behind their team"

Not hard is it?

Melbourne Radio's take on it:
http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-sport-blog/axed-storm-director-lashes-gallop/20110913-1k6q7.html

AFL must be loving it, only the NRL would alienate and insult a new market area we are trying to grow the game in!

Stop commenting on rugby league.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Gallop be trollin!

I reckon it was a planned move designed to stir up controversy.

Bingo !!

Gallop's been getting pointers from senstaionalist scum sucking merkins like Danny Weilder and Phil Cockfield

You're a disgrace David Gallop. Hand over the reins.........

Perth Red

Post Whore
Incidentally, I wonder how Wally Lewis and Andrew Johns ever coped with the crowd receptions in Sydney and Brisbane respectively?

With a smile and grace probably, not whinging in the media like some stood up tart and insulting the people who are part of paying his wages. I am amazed that people are actually siding with Gallop on this. It was a ridiculous statement to make and simply not good enough from the games CEO.

oval

Juniors
Yes you are. Gallop wasn't comparing one expression of passion to another. He said that you can't use passion as an excuse for dumb actions.

Here's what he said:

"I never really go for that whole passion line. I mean, terrorists are passionate about what they do and, you know, that doesn't make it right"

The context of this quote was the discussion about the actions of Melbourne fans, so in that respect I believe there is a comparison made. If there was no comparison made, be it excplicit or implied, then this thread would not exist.

Noa

First Grade
When asked further wasnt passion in fans a good thing, he ummed, ahhhed and ummed a little more and said not necessarily.