What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop on the money

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ha ha, got laugh at that article. Cronulla as the shining light of the future of RL in this country. FFS I pity you fools who are happy with RL being a secondary sport, getting p1** poor media, pathetic crowds, living hand to mouth year on year and constantly being reactive to the changing face of the sporting landscape rather than proactive.

Enjoy your predominantly suburban comp in front of 12,000 in last century stadia, like Nero (and Gallop) it probably won't be till its burnt down that you stop fiddling!

coach

I haven't heard anyone say the NRL will bleed to death because of the financial crisis. What will happen is that the game will suffer. No one knows how bad this crisis could become.

Companies who sponsor the league and its clubs will suffer to some degree. This may cause them to take a re-look at there sponsorship deals. We only have to look at a comment passed by Jerry Harvey where he said his love of the game does not guarantee he can continue to sponsor the game. In tough times like these, companies always look at the best options at cutting costs. One of the first thing to go could be corporate boxes.

Will fans stay at home? Those who have purchased season tickets will not. But those who have not just may. My team Souths have already sold just over 7,000 season tickets. But they will need many more then that to roll up each home game to survive. They like every club depend on big walk up crowds on match day. In times like this when it comes down to saving a few dollars going to the footy can suffer. Whats the easier and cheaper option fork out a lot of money or stay home and watch on the TV.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ha ha, got laugh at that article. Cronulla as the shining light of the future of RL in this country. FFS I pity you fools who are happy with RL being a secondary sport, getting p1** poor media, pathetic crowds, living hand to mouth year on year and constantly being reactive to the changing face of the sporting landscape rather than proactive.

Enjoy your predominantly suburban comp in front of 12,000 in last century stadia, like Nero (and Gallop) it probably won't be till its burnt down that you stop fiddling!

Could've sworn the NRL was averaging 15-16k crowds yearly, and I can only see that average suffering as a result of a new WA team.

Loudstrat

Coach

If that isn't a post by an AFL troll, I dunno what is.

FFS, your mob had their chance. sh*t crowds, then death. Couldn't survive a second without Rupert's wallet.

Now, you bag the code because it doesn't have your mob. Saying it isn't national because it doesn't have Perth in it. Like, Perth is the only place in Australia.

League is doing ok, despite what the AFL hugging wowsers like you suggest. Get 25K to the games that go over there and you'll have a point. Get less and you can keep your AFL dreams alive.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Wasn't League dying because of AFL's desire for a team in Western Sydney?

I'll explain it again for the last time mate. I was comparing league expansion to AFL expansion. At least the AFL are ATTEMPTING to broaden their game into areas not normally associated with their sport. They are MAXIMISING their potential revenue income with full knowledge of what will bring the big bucks continuously to their code.
Whether it is successful or not they HAVE a plan and direction for the future of their game. They are not putting an academy in Essendon and saying that's our effort for expansion.

You with me loudmouth? Understand.

What is rugby league's plan? We are potentially the biggest game in this region, we have most major cities in Australia, NZ, PNG and the South pacific yet AFL get more money, why? I want the NRL to tell us what their plans are for our game, when will a team be in Perth, how many teams are they aiming for, what developments are they undertaking to help the game in the south pacific?

Just a plan, most professional businesses have t least a 5 year plan we only have hidden agendas.

Hanscholo

Bench
High quality, exciting football is what the code needs to advance over the next few years. Its been tinkered with to the point of being a boring one dimensional sport, which is sad because in the early nineties it was the most exciting game in the world. If we can get the quality of the game back to where it was then, we'll survive and prosper, if we dont then i have grave fears for the strength of the game long term. Now all we need to do is to get the punters thinking about removing their foxtel subscriptions instead of their day at the game.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Rather than people make comments about Cronulla playing in front of crowds below 10,000 therefore they should be shipped to Adelaide, how about some facts?

Crowds of less than 10,000 _

6 Penrith

5 Canterbury

4 Warriors, Souths

3 St.George, Cronulla, Canberra

2 Parramatta, Manly (one at Gosford), Roosters, Melbourne

It would appear most crowds of less than 10,000 would occur at night in the colder months when games are on TV live, maybe this needs to be looked at. Blackout in home city?

Don't bother LeagueXIII, these people pull facts out of their arses to attcak the sharks. But we have become use to it now. Cheers for the facts anyway

Perth Red

Post Whore
Live National FTA TV coverage of the game is what is needed for the game to grow. The expansion of the 90's was built on it and we need to get it back if the game is ever going to have a big enough profile in non RL areas to build new teams.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yes so instead of the media attacking clubs maybe they should be looking at the idiots running the game who have no plan. I never see an article in the Telegraph questioning Gallops lack of leadership and direction. I wonder why....................

KHunt

Juniors
Question for you Loudstart. Where do you live now? Still in the Parramatta area I'm presuming. But what if for whatever reason you moved to the Sutherland Shire for example, had 3 kids born and raised there. Would you raise them to support Parra just like you did or expect them to support the local area, in this case Cronulla?

No doubt Melbourne AFL clubs have hardly any territory anymore. It's just support your mum or dads team, or pick the team who wears the tighest shorts.
Seems to me NRL in Sydney is heading that way, though. I hear so much that in the old days, you'd always support your local team.
No doubt a part of that still exists today but just seems new people to the game might just support there parents team or whoever they like the most, not what district they live in. Clubs see that perspective too. Eastern Suburbs changing their name to Sydney City to get a broader range of support. Canterbury-Bankstown and Balmain as well changed their name to Sydney I believe. Bulldogs even dropped the Canterbury Bankstown from their name!

adamkungl

Immortal
Question for you Loudstart. Where do you live now? Still in the Parramatta area I'm presuming. But what if for whatever reason you moved to the Sutherland Shire for example, had 3 kids born and raised there. Would you raise them to support Parra just like you did or expect them to support the local area, in this case Cronulla?

No doubt Melbourne AFL clubs have hardly any territory anymore. It's just support your mum or dads team, or pick the team who wears the tighest shorts.
Seems to me NRL in Sydney is heading that way, though. I hear so much that in the old days, you'd always support your local team.
No doubt a part of that still exists today but just seems new people to the game might just support there parents team or whoever they like the most, not what district they live in. Clubs see that perspective too. Eastern Suburbs changing their name to Sydney City to get a broader range of support. Canterbury-Bankstown and Balmain as well changed their name to Sydney I believe. Bulldogs even dropped the Canterbury Bankstown from their name!

Imo supporting your parents team is just as "good" a reason to support a team as it being your local. Not that I want to bag people's reasons for picking clubs to support. But surely that's a big part of tribalism? Whole families supporting the same team across generations?

NRLMad

Juniors
Tribalism is dead, franchising is the way of the future. Hell even Souths know that.

I tell you why you don't feel the 'tribalism' - coz ur a c**k-fan. You have taken the cake for equal mantle with Manly as most hated club .. you have no heart, and no f**ken juniors. relocate to gosford and steal some more..

adamkungl

Immortal
I tell you why you don't feel the 'tribalism' - coz ur a c**k-fan. You have taken the cake for equal mantle with Manly as most hated club .. you have no heart, and no f**ken juniors. relocate to gosford and steal some more..

piss off dimwit.

He does have a point though. Having lived in the Sunshine State for 4 years, you'd be surprised at the ideas some of the people in the media and the greater public have about our game up there.

They see a Sydney club pulling 12 or 15k against a mid-table team while the Broncos pull 40k against a top of the table side and they go "Look at how crap Sydneysiders are- let's merge all the Sydney teams and turn them into franchises like the Broncos because that will make the game better."

Alot of said people have never seen Sydney outside of their TV screens.

Well some people have seen Sydney, some people have travelled, and attended sporting events on the other side of the world, even lived in other cities and temporarily supported other games and other clubs elsewhere.

Sydney is not different from anywhere else. The people who live there are still people. They are not another species.

Its not about merging, or anything. Its about simple maths, and one sumarising line....this one: If after 100 years, all you have is 10-15k averages, bankrupt clubs, and people accusing you of dying every time you cough, then what have you really got?

A romantic notion of football, fit for the period directly following a catastrophe, or somewhere pre 2000, not a modern day "success-stamped" competition.

I am not saying that clubs need to be merged, or anyone moved....finances will determine (or have already determined) that. Its simple maths.

Pull your head out of the sand. Is sydney so diverse and different across 10 separate parts that you need 10 teams! Wake up. Eventually - or more aptly for the more "real" among you - sooner rather than later - league in sydney WILL need to be rationalised.

Rugby league obviously does not have the far-and-wide support that afl enjoys in melbourne, or soccer does in other countries for instance, and by the time it did reach those levels clubs would be broke anyway. (note to all: i am talking about paying customers who attend week in week out, which is lets face it, the BEST WAY for the game to retain more of the money it generates.)

One day soon, even if clubs need to be dragged kicking and screaming to the gallows, with few fans to look on, they will be dragged. By the realities of the modern financial landscape.

People in Brisbane look at sydney rugby league and ask why no one told you the 1970's are over.

Some old-timers hate the Broncos, its true. But the Broncos are a club modelled on successful NFL clubs, and young people LOVE them. The Broncos were always successful because they breathed success.

If you look at Sydney, you may say its different to Brisbane. But Sydney is 4 times the size of brisbane in most respects. If you think something along the level of power and influence the broncos have cannot be replicated in Sydney, then you are wrong. Sydney could easily have 4-6 powerful and influencial clubs with the scope of the Broncos.

Only now, in the past 2 seasons, has any sydney club done anything to become bigger and better in a real and meaningful way.

Remember, some people have been asking clubs to shape up LONG before the financial crisis: people laughed at them, and become insecure and blasted them left, right and centre.

Then the financial crisis hit, on top of the pokie fiasco.

I'm the last person that wants to see sydney clubs die. I want to see sydney clubs rise to the level they are capable of.

Dont come on here, and tell me about travelling, seeing sydney, seeing brisbane, seeing wherever, and alluding to some mysterious sporting knowledge that somehow gives you the edge.

Dont give excuses. Its not enough anymore. Shape up please RL, or prepare to be shipped out. By receivers.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Get rid of Sydney clubs, piss off half your audience and watch TV money shrink. The only reason RL competes with AFL is because we are top dog in Sydney no other reason. League will never get crowds like AFL, however we may get 20,000 plus average this should be our goal.

Besides the Broncos just about EVERY other club has experienced financial difficulties at some time, including those outside Sydney.

Latest posts