What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop on the money

So you are falling into the trap of "oh no, their crowds are bigger. we are doomed"

That is our blessing.

If we needed 50k crowds to every game, there is no way we'd have any regional team.

You seem stuck in remotye Queensland somewhere. Your towns nearest team is probably 200 kms away. I understand how you don't get tribalism. Still, you are free to panic to your hearts content. As they say in the movies -in space, no one can hear you scream.

As for 'franchising" -are you looking to run a KFC? Clubs are the way to go -community links. WShere would you put your franchises after you killed all the Sydney clubs and banned League from NSW?

omg....this may be ok (if a little bit pathetic) now, but what about in 30 or 40 years time? You're the one who needs to change, not others. League needs to progress off the field. Saying you are ok is not the done thing to do, especially if you know the stakes are only going to get higher and higher down the track.

League is going 'ok', I grant you, but at this rate, it won't be going ok forever. Looking back is not the answer. Looking forward is.

You appear to give a dim view of 50k crowds. Thats your error. You don't want them, because you take some pride in being supported in small numbers? What is it with you? Are you destined for mediocrity and hanging-low? Why? Because you are comfortable there? Because you don't have to try if you are small and just want to stay there? At this stage league does need 50k crowds...lol....all our money probs would be solved.

have you ever considered, loudstrat, that IF WE HAD 50K Crowds, then, money would go directly into the clubs pockets.

I think there are people in the game with a little more ambition than you, my friend.

btw the bears aint coming back. backstabbed or not, they have no place.

You are all twisted up in the super league war, the broncos being big and somehow representing the faceless/horrible side of corporation. I mean come on man, do you know how much good the broncos do for the community, how atmospheric and entertaining they are as a club to be a part of and watch. They could never do that if they were small and had the reach of a wheel-chair bound geriatric.

You need to see for real; you need to get your perceptions checked out. (i say this nicely), because there is much you are not seeing in the right light.

RL can be big and flush with money and go about making that money AND be community based.

Tribalism is a rotting carcass on the hill we left behind many days ago now. I dont see why so many people want to cling to it. The flies are thick and the money is drying up. Who's killing sydney teams too man?

Me? The Mafia? Or themselves?

No one wants to kill them, but perhaps there are to many for their capabilities, dont you think? (try coming up with an excuse thats not linked to not trying).

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Adelaide will save RL!!!

They are crying out for a team there. People laugh at the AFL putting a team on the Gold Coast yet in the same breath think RL will take Adelaide by storm.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tha AFL had the forsight to bring in new teams above existing leagues (out of Vic anyway). In Perth all the old WAFL teams still exist and play at their level but rather than promote say Subiaco and Sth Fremantle they did the right thing and created two super teams above them.

You say tribalism beats "franchises"? Well the two franchises created in Perth average 70,000 fans between them and have a combined turnover of most of the NRL clubs put together!

We are saddled with some bad initial decison making and we now need to make the best of it we can. Hopefully clubs are waking up to the brave new world in front of them and we will see all of the NRL move forward together and put is ina strong enough position to one day expand our boundaries from a point of strength rather one of weakness.

Loudstrat

Coach
and dickheads like you who use any excuse to bag out Qld teams - like this positive, well written article.
A positive, well written article in which the only negative comes from the Queensland teams.
seriously - what trackhead takes a great article like this and uses it to bag out the profitable portion of the NRL?
Not me. I used it to congratulate Gallop and echo the positive sentiments of Gallop and Masters.

It's typocal that oversensetive twats only look for the negatives. Proven by this quote.
so there was some scepticism from a few Qld teams - who wouldn't be when Gallop's talking?
:lol:
let's see - Gallop shows up on the doorstep, grin on his face, twinkle in the eye - 'Hey there guys, I've got a good story to tell - open the door and let me in'.. suspicions are instantly aroused...
Of course, the CEO of the NRL should NOT be talking up the code, or showing he has confidence in it. He must be publicly seen to be talking down the code at every opportunity.:roll:

bagging out the only profitable arm of the NRL isn't a very wise move dick - love to see if you can sell out an Origin game without much begging and pleading from the old boys this year.... haha
Oh ffs - get your hand off your small knob and stop being a f*cking wowser. Queenslanders whinge at Gallop. I mention it. Queenslanders whinge at me.

Keep whinging, twat. I'd prefer to enjoy this wonderful code.

Not really.

They are calling for Sydeny clubs to play in a sydeny comp.

You call it 'death' because you are a league snob, who apparently would ditch his team on the proviso that it was no longer playng in the NRL.

Yet you condsider yourself a truer league fan, got to love the irony.
Lets invent stuff. Like that I would ditch my team. Theres a new one! Where did you invent that one? Or where you stoned on those little pills in your avatar?

What team did you follow before 88 f*ckhead? And why did you ditch them to support the Broncos (I assume you do - your name refers to Locky and your avatar refers to a Broncos night out). Probably a poor Valleys supporter who f*cked off as soon as a local side joined the same comp Parra played it.

BTW, Where is Sydeny? Does it have clubs?

Can't argue with that flawless logic.

What Im saying is that that line was meaningless and a throwaway line.

And just a bit of pointless QLD bashing that doesnt help the game in any way.

Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn't. I personally think "naysayers" has a meaning. I think the Queenslanders on this thread so far have bloody proved it.

do you think poor boy blues is dangermouse v5?
Definitely. The similarities are obvious.
1) Hates Sydney.
2) His posts have no link to reality.
3) He is a chronic twat.

Mark123 :arrow: Dangermouse :arrow: Poor Boy Blues. Evolution at it's finest, except with this one, it's getting worse. Sort of like Jessica Alba evolving into cyanobacteria.

You say tribalism beats "franchises"? Well the two franchises created in Perth average 70,000 fans between them and have a combined turnover of most of the NRL clubs put together!
I never said that. I said that tribalism exists in League because clubs represent a district. In AFL, Melbourne clubs represent a suburb detached from that district. Which has nothing to do with franchises - being a silly way Rupert introduced to flog spots in Super League when he struggled to fill 'em.

We are saddled with some bad initial decison making and we now need to make the best of it we can.
We did, but we have.
Hopefully clubs are waking up to the brave new world in front of them and we will see all of the NRL move forward together and put is ina strong enough position to one day expand our boundaries from a point of strength rather one of weakness.
We are in a greater point of strength re expansion than AFL. We will expand from a point of strength. AFL has nowhere to go, and it's best case scenario is to introduce clubs that cannot attract more than a Kombi load of fans.

Yet doomsdayers fall for the hype. And fail to see the reality. Some clubs are financially struggling - yet yeare after year survive. Cronulla, who everyone reckons will fall over any second - finished equal first last year, made the prelim final, and bought 3 internationals in the off season. Yes, they went to the bank. So did I. Going to the bank is hardly a sign of imminent poverty and oblivion.

And if the go to Adelaide - I'll bet Vossy's left testicle that their home crowds will dwarf and Gold Coast or Western Sydney AFL side.

But of course, we must whinge, and abuse those that believe in this game, or the city that props it up.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And the big 4 Melbourne clubs average:

Richmond 43,548

Collingwood 59,213

Carlton 48,589

Essendon 46,368

Says something for tribalism.

Scarves

Juniors
Let's be honest, we'll never have a truly nationally represented comp until we include a team from Gunns Gully. We haven't put a dot on that spot yet either.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mark123 :arrow: Dangermouse :arrow: Poor Boy Blues. Evolution at it's finest, except with this one, it's getting worse. Sort of like Jessica Alba evolving into cyanobacteria.

I think there were a couple more between dangermouse and poorboy

lockyrulz

Juniors
Lets invent stuff. Like that I would ditch my team. Theres a new one! Where did you invent that one? Or where you stoned on those little pills in your avatar?
So whats your problem then spastic? You can go back to watching the NSWRL, ignore the NRL altogether, wank yourself off to your Cyndi Lauper album and be perfectly content.

Invent stuff, what like your constant bullsh*t about killing Sydney clubs which no one has advocated? You are the only one inventing anything you intellectual dwarf.

What team did you follow before 88 f*ckhead? And why did you ditch them to support the Broncos (I assume you do - your name refers to Locky and your avatar refers to a Broncos night out).
I supported Wynnum Manly. I still do.

Keep failing f**ktard.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We are in a greater point of strength re expansion than AFL. We will expand from a point of strength. AFL has nowhere to go, and it's best case scenario is to introduce clubs that cannot attract more than a Kombi load of fans.

Agreed we are in stronger in that we actually have places that want a team! but we are skint (relatively speaking compared to what AFL can spend fertilising areas), we don't have national FTA coverage (which hinders interest, corporate support and media interest) and probably our biggest point of weakness compared to AFL is we don't seem to have a strategic plan. The AFL does and includes, supporting a club to half move to Tasssie, having a pre season cup that is played in non AFL cities, talking up the areas they want to expand to and actually priming these areas with $'s, development officers and games.

Of course Gallop might have a master plan and his apparent bumbling and negativity towards expansion may all be a big cover!

You say AFL has nowhere to expand to but they could do what RL does and just expand within its existing confines if they just wanted to add more teams. I have no doubt they could put a 3rd team in Perth and it would be succesful. They realise the eventual value of true expansion though and so seek to push their boundaries into enemy territory.

MsStorm

Bench
And the big 4 Melbourne clubs average:

Richmond 43,548

Collingwood 59,213

Carlton 48,589

Essendon 46,368

Says something for tribalism.

They are the sort of numbers I would like to see the nrl clubs post.
It wasn't that long ago when the then vfl had crowd attendances similar to the nrl now.
The afl bit the bullet, appointed the afl commission to oversee the game, and since then memberships and crowds have trippled.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Exactly, 20 years ago Essendon averaged 18,500, though they would have been playing at Windy Hill. Also AFL generally operates in a monopoly and has had the media by the b###s. Which has helped.

They are the sort of numbers I would like to see the nrl clubs post.
It wasn't that long ago when the then vfl had crowd attendances similar to the nrl now.
The afl bit the bullet, appointed the afl commission to oversee the game, and since then memberships and crowds have trippled.

When people tell me that league will never average more than 20k, I feel like slapping them about with a cold fish.

The nrl shoots itself in the foot often. Change is needed.

I often point to the afl and show people from where they came to where they are now. The problem for the nrl is a universal one. People cannot govern themselves. They need independant bodies (goverments) to do it.

People cannot make the hard calls for themselves by and large, it takes a leader [who works on a different level to the rest from different motivations] to do so and get the optimum outcome for the group.

Clubs in football cannot govern themselves for optimal outcomes.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
So whats your problem then spastic? You can go back to watching the NSWRL, ignore the NRL altogether, wank yourself off to your Cyndi Lauper album and be perfectly content.

Invent stuff, what like your constant bullsh*t about killing Sydney clubs which no one has advocated? You are the only one inventing anything you intellectual dwarf.

I supported Wynnum Manly. I still do.

Keep failing f**ktard.

Do you have any other contribution to society apart from being a museum exhibit as a f*cktard?

Agreed we are in stronger in that we actually have places that want a team! but we are skint (relatively speaking compared to what AFL can spend fertilising areas), we don't have national FTA coverage (which hinders interest, corporate support and media interest) and probably our biggest point of weakness compared to AFL is we don't seem to have a strategic plan. The AFL does and includes, supporting a club to half move to Tasssie, having a pre season cup that is played in non AFL cities, talking up the areas they want to expand to and actually priming these areas with $'s, development officers and games.

Of course Gallop might have a master plan and his apparent bumbling and negativity towards expansion may all be a big cover!

You say AFL has nowhere to expand to but they could do what RL does and just expand within its existing confines if they just wanted to add more teams. I have no doubt they could put a 3rd team in Perth and it would be succesful. They realise the eventual value of true expansion though and so seek to push their boundaries into enemy territory.

I think you forget that League went through an aggressive and very sucessful period of expansion, which ultimately blew up in it's face.

There are many who urge the need for caution.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think you forget that League went through an aggressive and very sucessful period of expansion, which ultimately blew up in it's face.

There are many who urge the need for caution.

It only blew up in it's face due to a situation that is unlikely to eventuate again. Pay TV was what it was all about, nothing more. Terrible for the game, but that shouldn't mean that we don't try again. The main lesson learnt from that expansion in 1995 is that we shouldn't try and add more than 2 teams at once.

Loudstrat

Coach
Let's be honest, we'll never have a truly nationally represented comp until we include a team from Gunns Gully. We haven't put a dot on that spot yet either.
They won't answer that. They'll just call you a troll.

It only blew up in it's face due to a situation that is unlikely to eventuate again. Pay TV was what it was all about, nothing more. Terrible for the game, but that shouldn't mean that we don't try again. The main lesson learnt from that expansion in 1995 is that we shouldn't try and add more than 2 teams at once.
Pay TV was the issue once Murdoch ran with it, but it was sparked by clubs trying to wrest control of the comp.

Personally, I see no reason why a 20 team NRL wouldn't work.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Pay TV was the issue once Murdoch ran with it, but it was sparked by clubs trying to wrest control of the comp.

If it wasn't for Pay TV, then the clubs would have had to deal with whatever the admins decided. None of the them had enough power to start a new comp on there own.
Personally, I see no reason why a 20 team NRL wouldn't work.

Yes, but not with the introduction of 4 teams at once. All that did was dilute the talent too thin. It takes time to develop guys up to that level, not to mention the money issues it creates in the game, firstly with the grab for players with just too many clubs coming in at once, and secondly that the NRL needs to provide grants to 4 new clubs, so 2 at a time is really the best way to go.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally I'd prefer one at a time every 3 years unless there was a massive reason for bringing two in. Look how good the GC has been for the comp, being able to build a competitive squad from day one.

Latest posts