What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GAME DAY - Newcastle

Griffoshark66

First Grade
Shit house. Hold the ball, run hard, get off your line quickly. How utterly depressing to start a season like that. Do we have another 6 or 7 Nikora's to throw in there?

What really pissed me off was in the first half when we had the wind was the amount of times we just went 1 out and ran the ball straight back into the ruck area. It was like they were trying to make no metres at all.

So many disappointing individual performances i thought but the 2 players I'd be trying to phase out of the team ASAP are Chad and Feki. I've got no idea if Kyle Flanno is the answer but at least give him a go and see.

And to top it all off i had Dugan as first try scorer and still can't believe that was disallowed, no way was that ball deliberately batted forward.

chewsta

First Grade
Nikora was great, lots of strapping on the leg though and he did go down clutching at it late in the game too. Any news on that?

shadowboxer

First Grade
SS, true but I thought the inexperienced refs gave a few hometown penalties and definitely let the Knights get away with the 10metres and the holding down. The ruck was slow as f**k.
Spot on - the fact the penalty count st the end of the game was even is hard to comprehend.

txta2

Bench
after watching the replay. Our defence was good in the first half. We bombed a few, Katoa no try was a shit call . Moylan and Sj looked dangerous but I fear without a player like Val Holmes it cant be taken advantage of.First game, but they really should of won that.

after watching the replay. Our defence was good in the first half. We bombed a few, Katoa no try was a shit call . Moylan and Sj looked dangerous but I fear without a player like Val Holmes it cant be taken advantage of.First game, but they really should of won that.

Bloody hell to watch that shyte again you must have had a stiff drink.

fizman

Bench
The only “good” to come out of last night was that I know I have some fellow Sharks supporters who are just as upset and annoyed as I am - sharing the burden!

Poor effort last night, I think it is as simple as we flogged them in the trial and with our recent success, we thought it would come easily so we weren’t switched on.

Moylan cut them open on the very first play of the game, had we scored in the first set of six we may have gone on with it.

Not season defining, but could cost us a key position in the semi finals (if we are in it).

Weaponhead

Coach
It was a careless display highlighting some of the bad arrogance that comes out in the squad at times. A well drilled team puts that Knights side away comfortably. At 8 all on the attack is when half needs to ice the game. Floating a speculator was a poor option and Eddie lee read it easily. Normally, sharks teams would kick the field goal and back their defence.

Craigshark

First Grade
The pass from Townsend was f**ked. You would think by that stage of the game and the number of times Lee had come up and in on Dugan, he would have kicked for Katoa. There was so much space, that was all that he needed to do. Actually, he should have done it earlier after the first or second time Dugan got hit, so Lee knew he couldn’t get away with rushing up. It’s not hard to think outside the square a little.

shaggs

Coach
Townsend’s pass was so telegraphed, I k ew what was was happening before Edrick did.

Edrick was coming in all night. Why the f**k would you attack that side like that ??

shaggs

Coach
Am I the only one who is glad we lost?

We've never won a comp when we've won the opening game of the season...

Yes I'm on a positive outlook programme
Only 3 of the last 11 premiers have won round 1. I think Melbourne might be two of those.

Put a line through Souths and Newcastle for the year.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Am I the only one who is glad we lost?

We've never won a comp when we've won the opening game of the season...

Yes I'm on a positive outlook programme
Glad no, unconcerned yes.

The lack of shots of the coaches box, was crap.

Is Morris a Bennett, no emotion, a Flanno, intense looking like he is squeezing out a number 2, a Des, lots of head shaking and hand gestures or a Bellamy, frothing at the mouth throwing stuff around?

I gotsta know.

1990 sharkie

Juniors
The pass from Townsend was f**ked. You would think by that stage of the game and the number of times Lee had come up and in on Dugan, he would have kicked for Katoa. There was so much space, that was all that he needed to do. Actually, he should have done it earlier after the first or second time Dugan got hit, so Lee knew he couldn’t get away with rushing up. It’s not hard to think outside the square a little.
You would think that but our halfback doesn't. He is scripted and robotic, he can't read defence at all.
Even if he didn't kick it , he cut out both Moylan and Johnson, 2 players who can make something happen.

R-15-3

Bench
What really pissed me off was in the first half when we had the wind was the amount of times we just went 1 out and ran the ball straight back into the ruck area. It was like they were trying to make no metres at all.

So many disappointing individual performances i thought but the 2 players I'd be trying to phase out of the team ASAP are Chad and Feki. I've got no idea if Kyle Flanno is the answer but at least give him a go and see.

And to top it all off i had Dugan as first try scorer and still can't believe that was disallowed, no way was that ball deliberately batted forward.

100% agree with us running back into to ruck all game and made zero meters there. With the refs not penalising the 10m, markers or ruck it’s impossible to get anywhere up the middle.
I think we need our props running out angles from the ruck ( not crabbing Fifita style ) and use the faster legs of the back row / wingers into the ruck if at all. If u have our props running hard out angles on a predictable path it would do a number of things, like work over the half’s, free up a arm to offload easier, then the ruck defence would start pushing out early and leave more room for fast dummy half runs.