What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day Thread v St George Illawarra at Fortress Commbank - Sunday 6th August 2pm.

the phantom menace

First Grade
I reckon the lads will be looking at cheap holiday deals starting when we have the bye in round 27. If any of the next three games get tight or seem too tough, I believe even if the flesh might be capable the spirit will be lacking.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Btw I am sick of people saying Gutho will be done by 2025. Wtf would we be this year without him.

He is a guy that will play to 35/36 like DCE is he doesn't have the explosiveness of Tedesco so he won't decline like Teddy.

And Gutho has that competitive edge that will keep him going and playing well to his mid 30s.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Suggestions we are not cap compliant is disingenuous .

Its really disrespectful mate.

We have shed high quality players, marque players each season this past couple of seasons.

Im not sure any other successful side has endured such salary cap pain enforced as we have.

Leaving aside the marque players just the fringe players from which the Eels have benefitted in Hopgood.
It's hard to look past the Maloney Keno TPA fiasco. Tip of the iceberg stuff. Then bringing back a failed coach who was achieving nothing at the Tigers, but happened to be related to the Origin halfback you were trying to fit under the cap in the face of a big offer from the Roosters.

Bandwagon

Staff member
It was nice to see the leaders not lose there head when they were behind and panic like in the past.

I got no idea what has happened since origin but the spark has gone.

Our last 5 weeks have been ordinary.

Moses' short kicking game has gone AWOL since Origin, he seems to have forgotten the kick to the in goal and defences are rushing us without fear because he's not punishing them kicking in behind and gaining the repeat set.

It might be deliberate on account of teams propensity for the short drop-out this year, so it's less of a guarantee of regaining possession, but I think either way it's cutting down our time to play-make and we're passing under more pressure than we otherwise would be. Obviously that's leading to more errors attacking inside the opposition twenty.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lussick was excellent today, but we were playing a very shit team. Hodgson's leadership could've been key to keeping our heads on at 10-0 up though.
GIF by _charlab_

King-Gutho94

Coach
Moses' short kicking game has gone AWOL since Origin, he seems to have forgotten the kick to the in goal and defences are rushing us without fear because he's not punishing them kicking in behind and gaining the repeat set.

It might be deliberate on account of teams propensity for the short drop-out this year, so it's less of a guarantee of regaining possession, but I think either way it's cutting down our time to play-make and we're passing under more pressure than we otherwise would be. Obviously that's leading to more errors attacking inside the opposition twenty.
I agree when was the last time we rolled the ball into the in-goal certainly not in the past month.

Moses is going okay but hasn't gone up another level that we sacrificed a game for so Mitch can get more big game experience.

yy_cheng

Coach
I agree when was the last time we rolled the ball into the in-goal certainly not in the past month.

Moses is going okay but hasn't gone up another level that we sacrificed a game for so Mitch can get more big game experience.
Maybe coz we are so poor at getting the ball against short kick-offs that we decided not too do that anymore

Noise

Coach

All our players who played origin have come back in worse form. It’s almost like origin was their grand final and they have been going through the motions since.

Last edited:

the phantom menace

First Grade
Thanks f**k there's no rep games (I assume) this off-season - not that any of our lot should be challenging for Aus or NZ selection.

the phantom menace

First Grade
So Annesley has confirmed that Dragons were robbed...

1691411370928.png

Like frustrated Tigers coach Tim Sheens who made his feelings known about the officiating after the weekend loss, Dragons caretaker coach Ryan Carr was also baffled why Junior Amone had not scored after Gutherson had raked the ball from Liddle in the lead-up.

“You can see [Gutherson’s] fingers curl up on top of the ball and there is a raking motion that dislodges the ball; it means the tackle count should have re-started, and it should have been a try,” Annesley said.

Annesley cleared Zac Lomax of head-slamming Andrew Davey into the ground, and described it as more of a back slam, while Parramatta’s Ryan Matterson avoided being placed on report for a hip-drop tackle on Jack Bird because “there was minor force and he pushed the leg rather than fell on it”.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The refs have made some clangers and f**ked us over a couple of times this year but I was surprised we got both of those calls. The back slam probably should be illegal if we're concerned about player welfare but I didn't think it was (illegal) according to current rules. And Gutherson definitely attempted a strip.

Anyway f**kem. I think it was the Titans or Raiders loss where we got rorted by the officials.

JokerEel

Coach
So Annesley has confirmed that Dragons were robbed...

View attachment 77838

Like frustrated Tigers coach Tim Sheens who made his feelings known about the officiating after the weekend loss, Dragons caretaker coach Ryan Carr was also baffled why Junior Amone had not scored after Gutherson had raked the ball from Liddle in the lead-up.

“You can see [Gutherson’s] fingers curl up on top of the ball and there is a raking motion that dislodges the ball; it means the tackle count should have re-started, and it should have been a try,” Annesley said.

Annesley cleared Zac Lomax of head-slamming Andrew Davey into the ground, and described it as more of a back slam, while Parramatta’s Ryan Matterson avoided being placed on report for a hip-drop tackle on Jack Bird because “there was minor force and he pushed the leg rather than fell on it”.

Annesley is a joke. Watch every loose ball get blown a penalty now.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The refs have made some clangers and f**ked us over a couple of times this year but I was surprised we got both of those calls. The back slam probably should be illegal if we're concerned about player welfare but I didn't think it was (illegal) according to current rules. And Gutherson definitely attempted a strip.

Anyway f**kem. I think it was the Titans or Raiders loss where we got rorted by the officials.
Manly - round 3 Reg scored a try off a pass that went backwards.

Lost by 4 wasn't even mentioned by Annesley