What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

drake

First Grade
Fighting in plate and mail with a heavy sword is like that. It's not fencing.
Never found out if Tywin shat gold or not.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Lol there was some sugar coating I expected from their favourite guy, whatever I prefer to look at it that way anyway but doesn't it sort of do Tyrion an injustice?

Definite sugarcoating.
Self defence is a cop out. Killing her deliberately was so much raw, & revealing as a character.
Underwhelming compared to the book.

Apey

Staff member
you never know next season the dragon plod might get out of her chair

This is just the worst thing about her storyline and why her scenes are becoming even more boring. I'd rather sit and watch Timmah forum cop LU, it's pretty much the same thing anyway.

Apey

Staff member
The self-defence part was ok. It only seemed to be self-defence initially then after he disarmed her he just went on with the job anyway (she was only really flailing her arms around once the dagger was gone). Saying sorry afterwards was pretty lame though when combined with the self-defence part.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I seem to recall in the book tyrion and jamie having a rather dark conversation as their last communication rather than the whole hug etc

Game_Breaker

Coach
The self-defence part was ok. It only seemed to be self-defence initially then after he disarmed her he just went on with the job anyway (she was only really flailing her arms around once the dagger was gone). Saying sorry afterwards was pretty lame though when combined with the self-defence part.

He was a dead man walking, so he couldn't let her go

When he did kill Tywin, they were meant to be talking about a different whore. The one in the story from season 1 where we're told Tywin paid the whore or whatever

Since Shae took her place in this situation, they put the self defense spin on it I guess

God-King Dean

Immortal
I seem to recall in the book tyrion and jamie having a rather dark conversation as their last communication rather than the whole hug etc

All book readers will be very disappointed they left that out. "Where ever whores go."

Was disappointed Stoneheart didn't appear at the end. But I understand them saving the shocks. GRRM is taking his sweet fat time.

Wato

Juniors
Great episode but it does annoy me that the show runners protect Tyrion. For me in the books that final conversation he and Jamie have which in the show was moved to earlier in the season were he confesses to Joffreys murder was one of the cruelest things any character does to another. Can't wait for next season thou.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
There is some dumb shit in this episode. Jaime not finding out what tyrion tells him anger has future plot repercussions and development issues with Jaime but I'm going to nit pick the smallest thing. Bloodraven looked so dumb.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Not the scene I was expecting the season to end with.

Some great scenes in the episode though.

Very good episode. Some really fun scenes and surprisingly good special effects for a TV show.

poor hound, was a great boot to the box though

Tell me I wasn't the only person who wasn't excited to see the merkin punt.

Lol there was some sugar coating I expected from their favourite guy, whatever I prefer to look at it that way anyway but doesn't it sort of do Tyrion an injustice?
Yeah I expected a 'reveal' as well.
The rest of the episode was great and omg Mance is actually Mance in this episode.

Oh ps wtf with Yara....what was the point of her this season?

What are you referring to specifically re: Tyrion? Did you want him and Jaime to have their largely non characterful (especially for the show) falling out?

I did like Mance actually being Mance. Such a criminally underused character and actor.

Where do whores go??? How good was the Hound and Brienne battle royal??? Top episode and great way to finish.

I, for one, am bloody glad we won't have to hear that stupid f**king line in the next series. George really went off the rails with large chunks of Tyrion's adventures, and him constantly asking that clearly rhetorical question was annoying.

Misanthrope

Staff member

I also think that her drawing the weapon was self defense. It's not like she was eager to kill him, she just knew why he was there and knew that he wasn't exactly going to let her chill out while he went and had it out with his father.

There was definitely raw, murderousness to it.

I'm glad they left it out, to be honest. I never felt like it added a great deal to either character, and given the relationship as it's been portrayed on the screen, it wouldn't have made a great deal of sense for Tyrion to just go all merkin-ish on his brother.

On top of that, given how long ago we heard the story of Tysha, it would have needed some pretty obvious exposition to reintroduce the idea just so Tyrion could get pissy about it.

is hodor really that dumb to not protect himself without being told too?

You've obviously never beaten up a genius.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I'm glad they left it out, to be honest. I never felt like it added a great deal to either character, and given the relationship as it's been portrayed on the screen, it wouldn't have made a great deal of sense for Tyrion to just go all merkin-ish on his brother.

The f**k? Tyrion acts like a merkin because Jaime comes clean finally, a major milestone in his redemption arc. Tyrion then tells Jaime that Cersei isn't faithful to him, which leads Jaime down the path he goes, and Tyrion obsesses over his wife which is why he went up to the tower of the hand in the first place.

This is my biggest gripe with the series yet, it is perfect in the books, and mangled in the show.

Book
, Jaime comes clean and goes further in redeeming himself, Tyrion completely snaps, goes up and coldly murders the shit out of Shae, then finally gets revenge on Tywin for Tysha. This sets off Tyrion's next arc, and more importantlyt, let's Jaime know that Cersei is not faithful.

Show
, Jaime and Tyrion pat each other on the back, smile at each other, and leave, Jaime none the wiser and learning nothing, after f**king cersei again and throwing the goddamn Kingsguard Book on the ground to make way for his incest, screwing his story where he releases Brienne. Tyrion meanwhile, goes up to the Tower of the Hand, looks at Shae, then kills her in self defence, SAYS HE IS SORRY, and goes into Tywin to kill him, ostensibly he only did it because of Shae. But, and this is the killer, WHY would he go to the tower of the hand with no knowledge of Shae unless the plan the whole time was to kill Tywin?

It's a god damn butterfly effect. Tyrion got angry at Tywin for calling Tysha a whore, because he knew she wasn't, he knew Tywin had a hundred guards rape her. But Show Tyrion got angry because he called Shae a whore? After it was just proved to be true, and after he f**king murdered her for it?

I just wish the showrunners would learn that GRRM knows better than they do. If things have happened in his books, it has happened for a reason.

Also, f**k skeletons. The up swinging great axe wielded by a 16 year old girl that cleaved one in half was so out of place, thought i was watching a snowy Pirates of the Caribbean for a second.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Except, with the exception of one or two incidences with Lancel Lannister, she hasn't been anywhere near as unfaithful on the show - and certainly not to Jaime while she's aware he is alive and well.

And we haven't heard f**king 'boo' about Tysha since season one. As I said, it would have felt ridiculously forced to shoe horn a reminder in this week like 'Oh, I wonder if that comes up again'.

Some things just don't translate from book to screen.

Jaime's redemption arc was helped a great deal with the way he handled things with Brienne and the way he's been an outspoken defender of his brother. People already buy him as a good guy - him telling Tyrion the truth about something that nobody who hasn't read the books remembers just to satisfy a few purists wouldn't have achieved anything except made Tyrion appear randomly unreasonable.

Given Cersei hasn't exactly been unfaithful (when was Lancel a thing - season two?) and they've removed characters she f**ked in the books, it wouldn't have been much of a revelation. Ditto Tyrion saying he killed Joffrey, since the show has made it patently obvious nobody actually believes Tyrion did it.

-------

I don't buy into the whole GRRM knows better train of thought. He had a lot of brilliant ideas, but books four and five are evidence that he has no f**king idea sometimes as well.

You can't say the show hasn't improved on things with additions like Arya/Tywin's interactions, the expansion of Arya and the Hound's story, and an Oberyn who was actually mildly likable and relateable.

Well, you can say that, but you'd just be arguing out of stubbornness to say that the show would be perfect if the followed the book 100% of the time.

Misanthrope

Staff member
And that's not to say I defend everything the show has done.

I dislike the way they've portrayed the entire Bran Stark storyline, and not just the absence of Cold Hands. The random death of Jojen, the constant use of Hodor as a way for Bran to overcome the thing that makes him an intriguing character, and the portrayal of Leaf and Bloodraven today were all pretty 'meh'.

I didn't mind the skeletons in terms of the way they were animated, but wouldn't white walkers have worked just as well without adding a new, random monster to the canon?

I haven't loved the Reek/Ramsay storyline, but given Martin didn't give them a lot to work with short of ignoring him for a season or two, it had to be done. I didn't like Yara's random rescue attempt and subsequent, the death of Grenn (f**k Pyp), and the omissions of character such as the bard framed for Lysa's death, the Brave Companions, or people like the She Bear and Moonface.

Don't get me started on the fact the Night's Watch has been made one of the less exciting portions of the show because they've reduced it to five or six dudes and a bunch of extras. Where are Donal Noye, Satin etc?

But by and large, most changes are made because the audience is predominantly made up of people who haven't read the books and perhaps couldn't keep up with a show with a million characters. I doubt HBO could afford that, either.

--------------

On GRRM weakness - the whole f**king Children arc is stupid and reaches waaaay too far into the realm of fantasy for me. He may turn me around, but I literally hated most of Bran's storyline north of the wall.

Ditto his continued delays in actually having the dragons or white walkers do anything...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.