What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

afinalsin666

First Grade
They should have been building towards this though, with both of them. That's what pisses me off, they have ten hours, give us a couple minutes here or there to build it. It's not just this episode, it is the whole pace of things.

Seriously, Jaime comes into Kings Landing in the books and Joff is already dead, and he and Cersei bang out of intense lust and grief. Show, he is there for weeks and then forces himself on her. The tone shifts. This week, the tone shifted, from a cold and bitter imp murdering a whore and his father, to an idiot who goes into the tower with no reason to do so after a friendly goodbye with his brother, and kills the whore and his father in a rage. Tone shifts.

The show doesn't have to follow the books a hundred percent of the time, but it should at least understand basic flow. I concede the fleshing out of the relationship between the Hound and Arya is a bunch better than in the books, but only because of where it was leading. They never lost sight of that fact It makes Arya seem just that much more cold than in the books, but the tone was still the same. Arya is ice cold, and leaves her travelling companion to die in pain. Which leads into the next thing quite well.

They can screw around with the little stuff all they want, as long as it leads them to the big stuff in a tonally consistent way.

Also, seriously, f**k all the skeletons.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Honestly, i think all the shows issues could go away if it was directed by one source. Different people write different scripts, different directors direct different episodes, it's a mess. Consistency would improve the show like a motherf**ker.

Misanthrope

Staff member
This week, the tone shifted, from a cold and bitter imp murdering a whore and his father, to an idiot who goes into the tower with no reason to do so after a friendly goodbye with his brother, and kills the whore and his father in a rage. Tone shifts.

You don't think he went there intending to kill Tywin? Why else did he go there?

afinalsin666

First Grade
You don't think he went there intending to kill Tywin? Why else did he go there?

He definitely went there to kill Tywin, in the books. He goes in, questions him about Tysha, he be's a merkin, so he ends him. In the show, he doesn't really have a motive. He just wanders on up.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah but it's pretty out of character. It's more something Jaime would do. The dudes facing execution but gets freed and then for no real reason (remember no new information about tywin is introduced) sneaks into a guarded room to confront the most powerful man in westeros. Tyrion is supposed to be careful and intelligent. His actions were rash and dumb.

Now in the books he was having a mental breakdown because he'd only just found out his entire life was a lie.

Usain Bolt

Bench
That episode was terrible, seemed everything was rushed. They just had a whole episode covering a battle at The Wall and now the final episode they pushed through all these story lines.

Great episode but it does annoy me that the show runners protect Tyrion. For me in the books that final conversation he and Jamie have which in the show was moved to earlier in the season were he confesses to Joffreys murder was one of the cruelest things any character does to another. Can't wait for next season thou.

How about some spoiler tags you f**king mongo?

Shorty

Staff member
Definite sugarcoating.
Self defence is a cop out. Killing her deliberately was so much raw, & revealing as a character.
Underwhelming compared to the book.

The self-defence part was ok. It only seemed to be self-defence initially then after he disarmed her he just went on with the job anyway (she was only really flailing her arms around once the dagger was gone). Saying sorry afterwards was pretty lame though when combined with the self-defence part.
Yes that's what ruined it! Him saying sorry after doing it like.....he's supposed to be crazy with rage....
What are you referring to specifically re: Tyrion? Did you want him and Jaime to have their largely non characterful (especially for the show) falling out?
It's not really as out the falling out it's about it sending Tyrion nuts, hence his supposed motive for Tywin is weak and after all we've seen throughout the series, not believable.
And shae lol it's just so obvious they were terrified of 'greying' Tyrion.
This is the problem with fans of the book making the show.
It's a shame because I had no other issue with the episode and thought it was one of their best.

So has daenerys 3rd and largest dragon gone to bran? Is that what they meant by making him fly? Or is the whole dragon flying away thing not related?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Entirely unrelated.

I was surprised at how cold Arya was towards the Hound. Considering he saved her life a million times. Also running away from Brienne made no sense at all. Even them fighting was silly ... talk about jumping to conclusions.

Now GRR wants two of our favourite protagonists fighting and killing each other. Great.

And without Tywin, Kings Landing will be boring. Tywin, Oberyn, the Hound... pretty much 3 of a handful of the shows best characters killed off in two episodes.

I suspect the show will go downhill from here. You can just sense GRR beginning to run out of ideas... it's getting a little silly and downright nihilistic. No wonder book 4 was allegedly crap and he hasn't written one since. He's killed off all his best material.

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
I should remove myself from the books, & it's unfair to non-book readers. After all, this show is catered for TV audience.

But when my probably my favourite scene in the books gets mangled, I can help but be a bit pissed off.

Why the f**k wouldn't they add the part where Jaime reveals Tysha wasn't a whore? That would devastate someone, & add fuel to Tyrion's fire. Then out of bitterness, Tyrion tells Jaime that Cercei has been banging Lancel, which influences Jaime's decisions later.

The show not wanting to risk Tyrion being seen as 'bad' has comprimised the softened the scene, & therefore made it less emotional.

Just so disappointed. This is the scene I've been looking forward to the most. And I am so underwhelmed by it.

We would have 15+ minutes of unneccessary sex scenes in the series. Perhaps if they use this time to lay some foundations for future revelations, we could have them. But no, the pervert directors enjoy telling these stripper/actors things to do to each other. Let's call it for what it is.

Last edited:

butchmcdick

Immortal
Yes that's what ruined it! Him saying sorry after doing it like.....he's supposed to be crazy with rage....

It's not really as out the falling out it's about it sending Tyrion nuts, hence his supposed motive for Tywin is weak and after all we've seen throughout the series, not believable.
And shae lol it's just so obvious they were terrified of 'greying' Tyrion.
This is the problem with fans of the book making the show.
It's a shame because I had no other issue with the episode and thought it was one of their best.

I thought that Bran and co getting to the end of their journey was weak.

The whole crazy guy surrounded by tree roots and bones woould of made no sense if you hadn't of read the book.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Entirely unrelated.

I was surprised at how cold Arya was towards the Hound. Considering he saved her life a million times. Also running away from Brienne made no sense at all. Even them fighting was silly ... talk about jumping to conclusions.

Now GRR wants two of our favourite protagonists fighting and killing each other. Great.

And without Tywin, Kings Landing will be boring. Tywin, Oberyn, the Hound... pretty much 3 of a handful of the shows best characters killed off in two episodes.

I suspect the show will go downhill from here. You can just sense GRR beginning to run out of ideas... it's getting a little silly and downright nihilistic. No wonder book 4 was allegedly crap and he hasn't written one since. He's killed off all his best material.

There are still plenty of twists coming next series bro

I enjoyed all of the books equally to be honest

There are new characters coming

Wato

Juniors

Everything in my post happened in the first half of the season 4 and if you are referring to the contents of Tyroin and Jamie's conversation from the book their is more spoilers in other posts then mine.

Back on the show, I enjoy the changes for the most part and would not be opposed to the show ending in an entirely different way then the books especially if the final book is not out by then. Like LoTR I see the books and move/show as two entirely different stories that will start and end in similar ways but take different paths to reach that conclusion.

elyod138

Bench
Entirely unrelated.

Arya has been on a path to Braavos since the end of season one, going with Brienne would have made no sense and would have gone against every development of her character since we first met her.

The Hound and Brienne fighting made perfect sense, Brienne made an oath to bring Arya to safety, she would have died for her oath, her sword is even called Oathkeeper.

The Hound didn't particularly want to fight but Brienne would not let up.

I didn't see The Hound die.

Apey

Staff member
Except, with the exception of one or two incidences with Lancel Lannister, she hasn't been anywhere near as unfaithful on the show - and certainly not to Jaime while she's aware he is alive and well.

And we haven't heard f**king 'boo' about Tysha since season one. As I said, it would have felt ridiculously forced to shoe horn a reminder in this week like 'Oh, I wonder if that comes up again'.

I know where you're coming from, but at the time I still would have liked to have seen it all in there. There are several other scenes where the show will refer to stuff that happened forever ago and then expects your average fan to remember (The Hound and the butcher's boy being a good example). Surely a few mentions of Tysha here and there could have sufficed as lead-up.

Yeah but it's pretty out of character. It's more something Jaime would do. The dudes facing execution but gets freed and then for no real reason (remember no new information about tywin is introduced) sneaks into a guarded room to confront the most powerful man in westeros. Tyrion is supposed to be careful and intelligent. His actions were rash and dumb.

Now in the books he was having a mental breakdown because he'd only just found out his entire life was a lie.

Yeah, I guess we're supposed to think he's going up to confront his father because of the trial, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense really.

herpdaderp

Game_Breaker

Coach

He was on her list, plus initially he only saved her because she was worth more to him alive than dead.

Shorty

Staff member
I should remove myself from the books, & it's unfair to non-book readers. After all, this show is catered for TV audience.

But when my probably my favourite scene in the books gets mangled, I can help but be a bit pissed off.

Why the f**k wouldn't they add the part where Jaime reveals Tysha wasn't a whore? That would devastate someone, & add fuel to Tyrion's fire. Then out of bitterness, Tyrion tells Jaime that Cercei has been banging Lancel, which influences Jaime's decisions later.

The show not wanting to risk Tyrion being seen as 'bad' has comprimised the softened the scene, & therefore made it less emotional.

Just so disappointed. This is the scene I've been looking forward to the most. And I am so underwhelmed by it.
Yeah it was very disappointing because it highlights the complexities, my views changed of Tyrion for that very scene and now I don't know what to feel.
How he does it on the show is very relatable and basically paints that he had to do it, who wouldn't fight back from someone whos' pulled a knife on you and will alert the person in the privy?
So I'm not sure what they do with his character because he's also got penny and a certain girl o/s, though I'm sure they'll skew that too.
It's basically the whole premise of the author's work....having grey instead of black/white...

I thought that Bran and co getting to the end of their journey was weak.

The whole crazy guy surrounded by tree roots and bones woould of made no sense if you hadn't of read the book.
I must say I found BR underwhelming but that was always going to be a hard character to peg.
I dunno it made sense to me...not sure the COF needed grenades lol I actually liked the skeletons.
Poor old Jojen.
I dunno I had nothing negative to say about the finale cept Tyrion scenes, I mean I don't think we're getting LSH and that's ok I'm not sure she's needed? I mean there is a lot of stuff in the books that doesn't really make for good tv viewing.
That said it does puzzle me how they omit SH but then add the tidbit about beetles and the WW darth maul:?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Arya has been on a path to Braavos since the end of season one, going with Brienne would have made no sense and would have gone against every development of her character since we first met her.

The Hound and Brienne fighting made perfect sense, Brienne made an oath to bring Arya to safety, she would have died for her oath, her sword is even called Oathkeeper.

The Hound didn't particularly want to fight but Brienne would not let up.

I didn't see The Hound die.

The Hound lives

Shame Ygritte didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.