What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Games in expansion areas in 2009

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great news for Adelaide. I hope it is well supported and proves financially succesful for the Sharks.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Great news. :clap:

Just hope its a bigger turnout than the last game down there. I think Penrith and Melbourne game in 2006 got only 7,000 people.

flamin

Juniors
I just hope they market it instead of just expecting locals to turn up. (like in Sydney :sarcasm:)

Loudstrat

Coach
Would love to see Sth's do the same for Perth. A real shame the Govt sponsorship deal fell through.

Oh for some NRL leadership in all this! Shame Gallop isn't as quick to show his "leadership" in expanding the game as he is at slapping Waldron's wrist!

FFS - Origins to Melbourne, World Cup to Rocky, Townsville, Melbourne and CC, NRL to Perth and Adelaide...

All 16 NRL sides plus the Poms and Kiwis test sides could all relocate to Perth and you'd still whinge!

I am so happy I have done a wee!

3 years of games!!

Looks like I have a 2nd team to follow :)

:lol::lol:. Good on yer champ! :clap:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I just hope they market it instead of just expecting locals to turn up. (like in Sydney :sarcasm:)

I'm sure that the Souths game in Perth will be massively promoted. Crowe got onto the Tonight Show with Jay Leno just promote the Souths vs Leeds exhibition game in Florida, I'm sure he'll be able to get his face on the tv over in WA to promote the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
FFS - Origins to Melbourne, World Cup to Rocky, Townsville, Melbourne and CC, NRL to Perth and Adelaide...
And Gallop had what exactly to do with these? Sweet FA! Stop being a news stooge!

These initiatives should be a part of an NRL plan to take the game to a wider audience, not at the whim of some skint club in the hope of a bigger pay out because they can't get a crowd at home!

Loudstrat

Coach
FFS - who cares who does it? I'm sure Gallop was consulted, blessed the idea, and probably contributed in some way.

Do you expect Gallop to personally organise every home ground for every club? Organise the motels and flights? Polish the boots? Cut the oranges?

Whingeing knob!!!

rabbitohs

Juniors
adelaide will get about 6 people and 4 dogs lol

Bollox...I am taking 8 people myself so that beats that :)

Adelaide doesn't have the 'turn up for an envelope opening' attitude of the Vics. The game will need to be properly promoted and not clash with the AFL.

Should get around 15k I reckon. Would be 20k if it was at Adelaide Oval.

seanoff

Juniors
...Perhaps some of these talented youngsters will return to Darwin in February when four NRL clubs - Titans versus Sharks and Cowboys versus Roosters - play full-strength trials. The Knights and Penrith played there in February, attracting a crowd of 9000 despite humid conditions...

They'd get more people + NT Govt assistance (guaranteed income) if they played an actual competition match. It probably couldn't be a Richardson Park because the lighting isn't up to snuff, so TIO Stadium (AFL/Cricket) which has TV lights.

It would also be significantly cooler and much less humid in the dry season.

The NT Govt pay the Western Bulldogs (AFL) $400,000 for 1 game of AFL / yr. The AFL pay all the travel costs for both teams do the Western Bulldogs basically get a $400,000 pay day for 1 game. The Bulldogs also get a similar amount from the ACT govt for 1 game in Canberra. Hawthorn get a $2,000,000 "sponsorship" for playing 4 games in Tassie / yr.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
This is just a way for clubs to get a better gate than at home... It has nothing to do with expansion. eg Bulldogs play at suncorp against cowboys, because they know they will get 4000 odd at telstra, are bulldogs thinking about moving to QLD??

If NRL wants teams in Adelaide and Perth, they need to offer 50 odd million package over 5 - 10 years and do it properly.

This is just a quick cash grab, and the local fans will see right through it, why dont sharks take the st george game to Adelaide ??

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
This is just a way for clubs to get a better gate than at home... It has nothing to do with expansion. eg Bulldogs play at suncorp against cowboys, because they know they will get 4000 odd at telstra, are bulldogs thinking about moving to QLD??

If NRL wants teams in Adelaide and Perth, they need to offer 50 odd million package over 5 - 10 years and do it properly.

This is just a quick cash grab, and the local fans will see right through it, why dont sharks take the st george game to Adelaide ??

And the AFL teams taking games to Canberra, Darwin, Carrara and Tassy is "for the good of the game"?

It's a great thing for the game in Perth and Adelaide no matter the reason.

I hope these games get great crowds (particularly the Adelaide one!). It'll make Gallop sit up and listen!

Timbo

Staff member
The last time Adelaide was home to first class rugby league was when the Adelaide Rams folded in 1998.

Didn't Penrith take a game there in 06 or 07?

Good news all round though.

Ideally, we'd have 3-4 games each season in Perth and Adelaide.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Clubs are taking games to expansion markets, it's pretty simple.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Didn't Penrith take a game there in 06 or 07?

Good news all round though.

I guess they were talking about an Adelaide NRL 'home' team, which is what i guess the Sharks are aiming to become.

Ideally, we'd have 3-4 games each season in Perth and Adelaide.
Ideally Perth and Adelaide would have their own teams playing 12 games per season. In the mean-time I guess this'll do.

RUNVS

Juniors

I can tell you as a AFL fan that Adelaide is a horrible market for any sporting code because Adelaide fans are the biggest bandwaggoners in Australia. If a team is doing well they will support it but as soon as their performance drops the Adelaide fans will completely disappear.

Latest posts