What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Widdop

watatank

Coach
Widdop was an improvement on Chase who was terrible and selfish but I still thought England lost their way a few times going sideways and the England halves, both of them struggled to take over. Widdop looked more role player than leader in this game. I think he can and will be more for us and he's clearly injured/underdone but lets not pretend like he was fantastic in the RLWC just because he's our big name signing.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
Widdopp was better than adequate for a bloke playing his first full game back from a major injury. Fmd what do some of you blokes expect?
The bloke he's replacing for us would have caught and passed all night and put in a few long kicks by contrast.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Widdop was an improvement on Chase who was terrible and selfish but I still thought England lost their way a few times going sideways and the England halves, both of them struggled to take over. Widdop looked more role player than leader in this game. I think he can and will be more for us and he's clearly injured/underdone but lets not pretend like he was fantastic in the RLWC just because he's our big name signing.

He'll still be an upgrade on Stanley
/

Godz Illa

Coach
Considering he had pretty much zero match fitness, it was his first start of the tournament, in the highest pressure match imagineable against the toughest opponent, he played remarkably well and certainly exceeded expectations.

But to say he was "fantastic" and should immediately be made captain is, as watatank put it, a gross exaggeration

BennyV

Referee
No. 14 jersey to gain experience then straight into the six come round 15 or so.

I hope you're not referring to Widdop here...
We spend $600k a year on a premiership winning international quality 5/8 and you want him coming off the bench for half a season?

If that's not going full genius...

jenninga

First Grade
Considering he had pretty much zero match fitness, it was his first start of the tournament, in the highest pressure match imagineable against the toughest opponent, he played remarkably well and certainly exceeded expectations.

But to say he was "fantastic" and should immediately be made captain is, as watatank put it, a gross exaggeration

And with this game under his belt and coming back for preseason training ,should be just about spot on for next season.

gypsy

Bench
Get him experience in the 14, before expecting miracles.
After ~6 months give him a shot.
You have to crawl before you can walk.

hardbaby

Coach

I suggested Widdop as being the next Dragons captain the moment he was signed. It wasn't because of that performance. Having said that, the things I like most about Widdop really shone through in that World Cup game. He's tough, plays really hard, takes the line on, he's positive, defends well and organises his backline. That's what I want at the Dragons. It would be nice if he scored 10 tries a game but that's not what we signed him for.

Divine

Bench
An international 5/8 might keep Kyle out of the top grade but might also teach him a thing or two about playing there.

TruSaint

Referee
An international 5/8 might keep Kyle out of the top grade but might also teach him a thing or two about playing there.

Therein lies the real value of Widdop.
Apart from his skill set, and experience, its what rubs off on potential future halves.

rasaint

Juniors
I am neutral about Gareth. He is a good competent professional player. He lacks genuine speed and IMO not a great kicker or a person that challenges and breaks the line regularly. Go to Youtube and watch highlights of an amazing player called Jamie Soward. One blistering try after another, many from 80+ metres out. Wonderful kicking game, bullet passes and width. he is gone due to a probable combination of his and the existing coach's perceptions of themselves and how to contribute to the club.

I will cheer Gareth on but I reckon that Joel Thompson will prove our best buy at a reported $330k. Cheers All.

BennyV

Referee
Highlights aside, if you compare the last 2 seasons from Soward to the last 2 seasons from Widdop, I think we DEFINITELY made the right decision...

I also find it ironic that one of your complaints about Widdop is that he doesn't challenge the line (in your opinion), and you then go to talk up Sowards abilities...

Country Dragon

Juniors
I am neutral about Gareth. He is a good competent professional player. He lacks genuine speed and IMO not a great kicker or a person that challenges and breaks the line regularly. Go to Youtube and watch highlights of an amazing player called Jamie Soward. One blistering try after another, many from 80+ metres out. Wonderful kicking game, bullet passes and width. he is gone due to a probable combination of his and the existing coach's perceptions of themselves and how to contribute to the club.

I will cheer Gareth on but I reckon that Joel Thompson will prove our best buy at a reported $330k. Cheers All.

IMO Widdop is a "gutsy" player, and that is as important as any skill Soward may have possessed once upon a time!

Steelman

Juniors

Two completely different 5/8 both good in their own right.
Widdops main strength is his ability to continually take on the line with his footwork. He has great hands
A good passing and kicking game and he is a very solid defender.
Widdops only drawback his a lack of genuine speed.