What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier, Centre or 5/8?

Where Does Gaz Belong in 07?

• Total voters

Dragooner

Bench
This was sort of a tough question when I first saw it. Gaz belongs in the centres, no doubt about it but this year I feel we'll need him in 5/8. Head will miss the first couple of games and some say he's even in doubt for the whole season. If this is so, Hornby will play halfback meaning if gaz plays in the centres who will play 5/8? Gaz IS a centre but at the moment we need him as a 5/8.

bornadragon

Juniors
Centre or Fullback. He can chime in wherever he likes then... A Brian Johnson style or a personal favorite Tim Brasher. Both of those boys could fly.

As for the five/eighth... I'm cringing at the prospect. We are all going to suffer but It's up to Browny as for how long.

Godz Illa

Coach
bornadragon said:
Centre or Fullback. He can chime in wherever he likes then... A Brian Johnson style or a personal favorite Tim Brasher. Both of those boys could fly.
He could do that from five-eighth, too.

Why I think he can make it is because he is more than a Johnson/Brasher style ball-runner. He can fly through through a gap, but he can also create his own gaps. That ability causes a ripple effect that helps the players around him. We've seen it in his capacity as a centre - attracting defenders, putting wingers into space. Giving Gaz free rein allows all the backs - not just his winger - the benefit of that ripple effect. Just imo.

The Preacher

First Grade
6 is only a number. If it doesn't work out with Gaz as a "link" player, then he'll just roam the backline in attack.

_Johnsy

Referee
I think he will wear 6 on his back, however i would be surprised to see him stand any closer than 2 passes from the ruck

Dragon_psa

First Grade
It all depends how Richie Williams develops I guess.

And it will also be interesting to see if Rangi Chase grows into a halfback role if Heady doesn't come back ok.

Ribs

Bench
I just cant get my head around the whole 5/8 Gas deal.... was it something Brown wanted to try or was it a case of Gas saying Ill play 5/8 or go to Union?

Surely all the pressure will be on Gas now..... every poor performance the team puts in will fall on his shoulders and Im not sure thats a good idea, not sure he has the temperament for that yet.

Time will tell but I havent added anything to the team of 2007 thread because I just cant put him at 6 until I see some reason to.

Who will be our long kicker? Hornby is ok but ok isnt a top 4 spot....

Wicks

Juniors
What significant move have we made to indicate anything but this has been coming for a long time

Hornbys ability in different positions maybe and other players that have played five eighth like Richard Williams Rangi Chase but they need discipline and may be better suited to other positions

Keeping Gasnier over Barrett Gasnier playing as a five eighth last year Stated publicly what was needed for Gasnier to play five eighth Bought players to strengthen the positions around five eighth Had Hornby Young develop with the move in mind

Gasnier has already had that pressure He has been backed into a corner in two final series by the defence Errors are going to come Lockyer makes more errors than any other five eighth He was shocking for half a year and did nothing the previous two finals Gasnier has stepped up to every challenge in his career You doubt him because he is a great centre

Hornby Head Woolford Young and yes Gasnier can all kick Even with two players out first grade possibles like Williams Chase and Tony Caine kick There is as much kicking and more with a full strength team than other years

Gasnier is good enough to be a better kicker than Barrett within the season

Father Ted

First Grade
Wicks said:
What significant move have we made to indicate anything but this has been coming for a long time

Hornbys ability in different positions maybe and other players that have played five eighth like Richard Williams Rangi Chase but they need discipline and may be better suited to other positions

Keeping Gasnier over Barrett Gasnier playing as a five eighth last year Stated publicly what was needed for Gasnier to play five eighth Bought players to strengthen the positions around five eighth Had Hornby Young develop with the move in mind

Gasnier has already had that pressure He has been backed into a corner in two final series by the defence Errors are going to come Lockyer makes more errors than any other five eighth He was shocking for half a year and did nothing the previous two finals Gasnier has stepped up to every challenge in his career You doubt him because he is a great centre

Hornby Head Woolford Young and yes Gasnier can all kick Even with two players out first grade possibles like Williams Chase and Tony Caine kick There is as much kicking and more with a full strength team than other years

Gasnier is good enough to be a better kicker than Barrett within the season

The club didn't know Barrett was leaving until late in the piece , but i must admit your a great club propaganda merchant . As for Gasneir being a better kicker than Barrett within a year . Thats something that no one knows yet either .

Wicks

Juniors
Father Ted said:
The club didn't know Barrett was leaving until late in the piece , but i must admit your a great club propaganda merchant . As for Gasneir being a better kicker than Barrett within a year . Thats something that no one knows yet either .

After Christmas is early to me They knew about Barrett wanting to go to England at some point for a long time They put the clause in Gasniers contract year

I havent manufactured anything here that would indicate propaganda

Barrett and Gasnier are both long inaccurate kickers Barrett stopped improving five years ago Gasnier wont need to kick as much He hasnt stopped improving his game I like the odds of Gasnier surpassing Barrett

intheknow

Juniors
Ribs said:
I just cant get my head around the whole 5/8 Gas deal.... was it something Brown wanted to try or was it a case of Gas saying Ill play 5/8 or go to Union?

apparently its in gaz's contract for him to play 5/8...

Latest posts