What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier Injury

phonetic

Juniors
It's funny that most people on this board rated him as a dud 5/8, now that he's injured we're suddenly no chance.

It's a huge blow, whichever position he may have filled this year, but there's no point moaning about it. Naq and Coops in the centres, Morris and McDougal on the wing, Morris at fullback. Hornby and Head need to stay fit.

Evergreen

Juniors
I'm still shattered that this great game has once again been robbed of one of its great players .
I'd like to say the Dragons are finished but that is far from the truth. In fact a setback like this may serve to galvanize the troops.

Red Bear

Referee
I'd rather lose a player at the start of the season with a whole year ahead, rather then just before the finals or something, they have a long time to adapt to not having him there.

petetheileet

First Grade
phonetic said:
It's funny that most people on this board rated him as a dud 5/8, now that he's injured we're suddenly no chance.

It's a huge blow, whichever position he may have filled this year, but there's no point moaning about it. Naq and Coops in the centres, Morris and McDougal on the wing, Morris at fullback. Hornby and Head need to stay fit.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Thats still a pretty bloody good backline

If head stays fit for the season we are still capable of doing some damage (that of course is a big if)

I dont think there is any harm in keeping head out for as long as possible...we dont have the hardest opening to the season by any means, he needs to be fully healed by the time he gets back

thommo4pm

Coach
GoTheBears said:
I'd rather lose a player at the start of the season with a whole year ahead, rather then just before the finals or something, they have a long time to adapt to not having him there.

The most sensible post I have read so far.

And when he does come back before the finals what a massive boost it will be for the club leading into the finals.

Luke Bailey recovered from this injury in 2004 in 4 months, no reason why Gaz can't do the same.
They have said 6 months which would still have him back just in time for the finals.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
phonetic said:

I'd put MacDougall in the centres & Naiqama on the wing - Mad Pup is an excellent player & a deadly finisher & the more he gets the ball in his hands for you - the better. I dont think Naiqama is quite in the same class that MacDougall could be if he stays fit.

RABK

Referee
petetheileet said:
Couldn't have said it better myself...

Thats still a pretty bloody good backline

If head stays fit for the season we are still capable of doing some damage (that of course is a big if)

I dont think there is any harm in keeping head out for as long as possible...we dont have the hardest opening to the season by any means, he needs to be fully healed by the time he gets back

I find that hilarious, Dragons always start terribly. What is their record for the first 6 games of the past 7 or so seasons? 10 wins 30 losses?

Teams must pray to play the dragons in the first 5 rounds.

_Johnsy

Referee
Superior_specimen said:
I know I shouldn't be laughing, but I can't help it. The thought of the dragons fighting so hard to put money up his ass that they had to cut players, then him suffering an injury in game 1 is hillarious.
They just flushed 700k down the toilet :)

All you have done is shown you are an a-grade asswad with comments like that.

Karma is a bitch.

Slackboy72

Coach
True, but we've spent a whole preseason planning our game around him at 5/8. But the real shame is that he is such a potent attacking player. Noone bar Benji Marshall, Inglis or Billie Slater comes close to him.

Luke Bailey recovered from this injury in 2004 in 4 months, no reason why Gaz can't do the same.
Luke Bailey didn't have a rupture. He had tears. A rupture is not a strain or a tear. It is the complete separation of muscle tissue. This could end his career.

A lot of you guys wouldn't know the juniors coming through in our lower grades.
They fill me with quite a lot of confidence.
I remember a few years ago we had a lot of good prospects continually coming up from the reserves due to injuries. Some of those are great firsts now but back then they lacked in the skill level and fitness departments. Our good form in 2005/2006 was based on fielding a consistent group in firsts. Now we are light on the ground in the halves we'll have to start putting up reserve graders not just on the bench but in our starting lineup too.

But now he's not in the centres or at 5/8. He scored a lot of tries and created a fair few more for the likes of Morris last year. Naiqama is good but he can't match Gaz.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
SOS to Barrett?

More chance of Laurie Daley dusting off the boots I reckon! ;-) He's a bloody Saints lap-dog now anyway - his sycophantic dribbling about the Dragons on FOX broadcasts since he joined the coaching staff there sometimes borders on the EMBARRASING!

Shorty

Staff member
Poor Gaz,I don't like him but he will be missed while his gone and he's an awesome player to watch.
Dragons fans saying they'll be fine,well yeah but still Gaz was a big part of the team making the 8...perhaps,the top 4...that's pushing it,Grand Final??

Grand Final when the team was positioning a play maker who is now out and injured and have to go back to the drawing board just weeks from kickoff....that's a bit of a wish.

I feel for him though he must be gutted,a ruptured pec is career threatening let alone season threatening.
A whole range of movements have been restricted and depending how bad it is,could be forever.

I'm almost tempted to take a punt on Origin this year,maybe give Joey another call?

petetheileet

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
I find that hilarious, Dragons always start terribly. What is their record for the first 6 games of the past 7 or so seasons? 10 wins 30 losses?

Teams must pray to play the dragons in the first 5 rounds.

Just because a team always has started their season badly doesn't mean they always will start a season badly

And regardless aren't our chances of starting this season off well increased by the fact we have an easier opening 4-5 rounds???

Hutty1986

Immortal
GoTheBears said:
SOS to Barrett?

I can hear the egotistical quotes from a certain ex-Dragon already

"I'm the worlds greatest athlete. I'll play football on weekends and in between winning world titles in 67 difefrent weight divisions. It's my destiny to win a premiership. I'M THE MAN"

Stranger

Coach
petetheileet said:
Just because a team always has started their season badly doesn't mean they always will start a season badly

And regardless aren't our chances of starting this season off well increased by the fact we have an easier opening 4-5 rounds???
2006 Dragons lost 3-5. Lost to Tigers, Pennys and Newcastle
2005 Dragons lost 4-5. Lost to Canberra, Pennys, Melbourne, Bulldogs
2004 Dragons lost 2-5. Lost to Canberra, Melbourne
2003 Dragons lost 3-4.Lost to Tigers, Canberra, Manly (had the bye)
2002 Dragons lost 2-4 with one bye and one draw to parra.Lost Sharks, Bulldogs

So yeah, i think its suffice to say that the Dragons don't start to well.
Dragons play Tigers, Knights, Cowboys, Sharks Melbourne. Hardly an easy starting few rounds.
Dragons will be lucky to have 2 wins IMO.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Hutty1986 said:
I can hear the egotistical quotes from a certain ex-Dragon already

"I'm the worlds greatest athlete. I'll play football on weekends and in between winning world titles in 67 difefrent weight divisions. It's my destiny to win a premiership. I'M THE MAN"

Ohhhh my GOD! No! Pleasepleasepleaseplease NO!!! That never occurred to me.

And u know what? I can just about see Brownie thinking that was a good idea too!

Mundine back in League - Oh that is a horrible thought. :(

petetheileet

First Grade
Stranger said:
2006 Dragons lost 3-5. Lost to Tigers, Pennys and Newcastle
2005 Dragons lost 4-5. Lost to Canberra, Pennys, Melbourne, Bulldogs
2004 Dragons lost 2-5. Lost to Canberra, Melbourne
2003 Dragons lost 3-4.Lost to Tigers, Canberra, Manly (had the bye)
2002 Dragons lost 2-4 with one bye and one draw to parra.Lost Sharks, Bulldogs

So yeah, i think its suffice to say that the Dragons don't start to well.
Dragons play Tigers, Knights, Cowboys, Sharks Melbourne. Hardly an easy starting few rounds.
Dragons will be lucky to have 2 wins IMO.
Stats can read any way you like but consider the dragons start compared to other teams this year:

In the first 10 rounds we play two top 8 sides from last year (this number being the lowest for any team in the nrl)

Only Parra and the broncos are close to this figure (each play 3 top 8 teams from last year)

Most sides play 5 matches or even 6 against top 8 sides from last yr

put this up against our last 10 matches where we play 6 top 8 sides from last year

I never said we would get off to a flyer i only mentioned us having quite an easy start to the season

id say we have a relatively easy start to the season in comparison to other clubs

Going back to my original point.... we have the bye in round 6 and i would like to see head rested if needed until after this, as the football gets a lot tougher later on in the season

Stranger

Coach
petetheileet said:
Stats can read any way you like but consider the dragons start compared to other teams this year:

In the first 10 rounds we play two top 8 sides from last year (this number being the lowest for any team in the nrl)
Only Parra and the broncos are close to this figure (each play 3 top 8 teams from last year)
Most sides play 5 matches or even 6 against top 8 sides from last yr
put this up against our last 10 matches where we play 6 top 8 sides from last year
I never said we would get off to a flyer i only mentioned us having quite an easy start to the season
id say we have a relatively easy start to the season in comparison to other clubs
Going back to my original point.... we have the bye in round 6 and i would like to see head rested if needed until after this, as the football gets a lot tougher later on in the season

Don't get me wrong, im not a stat man, but as the trent reads, Dragons have a poor start to the year and have a very good mid-season. Thats just the way they are. The way the NRL is now anybody can beat anybody so if a team starts the season poorly they generally will lose most games reguardless of who they play.
Cowboys, Melbourne,Knights are title contenders. Cronulla are mid table and the titans are anybodys guess. That is not what i call an easy start.

Latest posts